advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

greg788

pfm Member
Has anyone compared these directly? Could you summarize the differences in presentation, which you felt was more musical, etc.? I've been searching the forum and elsewhere and I've only found one real comparison, which wasn't very helpful

I have both amps. They back up my Croft. I think it will depend on what you want and need from an amp which one you will prefer. The Brio is fuller sounding with deeper bass. A very good amp that can drive most speakers very well. That said, I prefer the presentation of the IO. It’s sound is more balanced, to my ears. It’s also quieter. In fact dead quiet to me. It also feels like it has more power on tap than 30 watts per channel. It sounded great driving my Harbeth’s and my Spendor’s. My guess is that most folks will prefer the Brio.

I’ve had both and am a current Brio owner. The Io is a cracking little amp: clean and dynamic. Brio sounds a little less harsh and more composed, but that’s my opinion. To me it sounds better but it’s not a night and day difference. Budget and number of inputs desired may make your mind up. Nobody would be disappointed with either and they share the same phono stage.

I’ve had both and am a current Brio owner. The Io is a cracking little amp: clean and dynamic. Brio sounds a little less harsh and more composed, but that’s my opinion. To me it sounds better but it’s not a night and day difference. Budget and number of inputs desired may make your mind up. Nobody would be disappointed with either and they share the same phono stage.
Are you saying they both sound harsh to one degree or another?

Are you saying they both sound harsh to one degree or another?
No, not at all. Both Regas are, in my opinion, outstanding amplifiers. The Brio sounded a little more civilised and cultured, whilst retaining great rhythm and dynamics. However, I was reading on a different forum how somebody preferred the Io to both the Brio and the Elex-R.

I have not heard either but think they are very fairly priced for products made in the UK plus they look good, especially the Brio.

I have both amps. They back up my Croft. I think it will depend on what you want and need from an amp which one you will prefer. The Brio is fuller sounding with deeper bass. A very good amp that can drive most speakers very well. That said, I prefer the presentation of the IO. It’s sound is more balanced, to my ears. It’s also quieter. In fact dead quiet to me. It also feels like it has more power on tap than 30 watts per channel. It sounded great driving my Harbeth’s and my Spendor’s. My guess is that most folks will prefer the Brio.

If there's someone that's going to successfully know how musical a Rega is, is someone that owns a Croft which excels at musicality. But why would you need a backup to the Croft?

@greg788 did you rule out brio r? From reading around it seems that might be similar sounding to the IO (slightly less refined than the brio '17) but with extra inputs and a bit of extra power

There is also Edwards Audio's iA5. Several versions, with/without Phono, RC. Similar cost to the Brio.

Made in the UK too, I believe.

Maybe worth comparing side by side.

There is also Edwards Audio's iA5. Several versions, with/without Phono, RC. Similar cost to the Brio.

Made in the UK too, I believe.

Maybe worth comparing side by side.

Interesting - I've not heard of Edwards Audio...

Any ideas for a pair of easy-to-drive speakers to match the IO in a small room setup (4x3m)?

The new Kytes are on my list and probably the way to go in terms of synergy, but they're pretty small and I like rock music :)- any bigger standmounts I should consider? Mind you, I don't need earth shattering bass - just a bit more foundation and body to the music, and easy on the ears (no harshness up top).

Lower end B&W are renowned for bass but I am not sure about treble.

A good all-rounder for me was the Quad S2.

@greg788 did you rule out brio r? From reading around it seems that might be similar sounding to the IO (slightly less refined than the brio '17) but with extra inputs and a bit of extra power

yes, I went with the Io .... my speakers are extremely easy to drive and all I'm reading points to the Io being the more musical, less ruthless amp of the two

I got an IO yesterday and am really enjoying it.Sounding better tonight as has been powered up 24 hours.Have been using it in my main system with some 91 db Focal floorstanders so an easy load.
But it will be relagated to a 2nd system in another room soon.
For a 30 watt amp it's great.Basslines are tuneful and the top end is great,certainly not fatiguing at all.
Lovely little amp.I reminds me of a Naim Nait 1 I had years ago but better.
Having a remote is really nice as I have never had a remote on a amp,so no getting up!
Just brilliant from Rega - lovely styling and complements my Fono 2 phono stage beautifully.

I got an IO yesterday and am really enjoying it.Sounding better tonight as has been powered up 24 hours.Have been using it in my main system with some 91 db Focal floorstanders so an easy load.
For a 30 watt amp it's great.Basslines are tuneful and the top end is great,certainly not fatiguing at all.
Having a remote is really nice as I have never had a remote on a amp,so no getting up!
Just brilliant from Rega - lovely styling and complements my Fono 2 phono stage beautifully.
Thanks a lot for these very detailed and pin point comments, very appreciated and useful.
I’m starting to see the replacement for the Nait 1 and 2 with this new shoe box integrated !

I agre its stunning value really
Not the last word but involving like hell, maybe even a tad better performed than Brio.
Not for those who want Bling, 250W and 25kg.

advertisement

Back