advertisement

Bedroom speaker suggestions

brab

pfm Member
Can't audition so looking for suggestions for bookshelf speakers that are in the Spendor/Harbeth/Graham etc. type of sound, for around $1k. Not expecting the quality of those mentioned, just the type of sound.

Can't audition so looking for suggestions for bookshelf speakers that are in the Spendor/Harbeth/Graham etc. type of sound, for around $1k. Not expecting the quality of those mentioned, just the type of sound.
I’m using the Proac Tablette 10 in a fairly small bedroom and liking them. I’ve also enjoyed the Dynaudio Emit 10 in the same space and they are considerably less money. The Emit’s are ported and a bit easier to drive, though neither load is difficult. Good luck.

I had a pair of Quad S2's. Tonality was slightly warm, laid back but very clear. Nicely built and they go loud within reason but sounded good at low volume. - Hegel amplification.

I find the little tablette intriguing and would put that on a short list too if I wanted something for a small'ish room and moderate loudness.

What amp are you using? I ask because I've tried many small speakers in a bedroom system and found that the better ones tend to have low sensitivity and need a meaty amp to get them going (even at moderate levels).
In this category I'd save some money and potentially go for Totem Mites. Small, neutral and just very good for a bedroom system (where I find I want detail but nothing too tiring to listen to).

My obvious first choice would be an LS3/5A design as well but the Dali Menuet would be the next one by a very little margin. Dali’s price makes sense, especially when slightly used.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know Dynaudio had a line in my price range. I'll check it out.
Contrary to popular belief, dynaudios are easy to drive..I have a pair audience 40s at work..however the leema xeros are much better! ( but need a beefy amp ) on my titchy bantam stealth amp the dynaudios are very good!

Where are you going to place them in the bedroom exactly?
I always had a hifi system in my bedroom since I was young. The most obvious placement was on some furniture on the opposite side of the bed. A couple of years ago I moved to another house, the front wall was totally taken by a large wardrobe. No space left for speakers. So I placed the speakers right at the bed corners, basically in the middle of the room
Different position, different speakers characteristics.
I must say I definitely prefer this setup - with the proper speakers of course. I run mains and ethernet cables under the bed, TV and electronics are placed on a small desk in between the speakers. It's a very clean setup.
This setup would be great for monitors like the already mentioned LS3/5a - as long as you can live without a deep bass extension. I think also a set of active speakers (Kef?) may be a good choice, this will also help in making the setup nice and tidy with no need of other boxes around.

Where are you going to place them in the bedroom exactly?
I always had a hifi system in my bedroom since I was young. The most obvious placement was on some furniture on the opposite side of the bed. A couple of years ago I moved to another house, the front wall was totally taken by a large wardrobe. No space left for speakers. So I placed the speakers right at the bed corners, basically in the middle of the room
Different position, different speakers characteristics.
I must say I definitely prefer this setup - with the proper speakers of course. I run mains and ethernet cables under the bed, TV and electronics are placed on a small desk in between the speakers. It's a very clean setup.
This setup would be great for monitors like the already mentioned LS3/5a - as long as you can live without a deep bass extension. I think also a set of active speakers (Kef?) may be a good choice, this will also help in making the setup nice and tidy with no need of other boxes around.

That's what I'd call a dedicated Audiophile ;)

Thanks all for the very helpful suggestions. I will make my way through all of them. I've already seen that availability and pricing here in Canada will be a limiting factor.

Canadian ? The Totem Mite should be considered then and they are very affordable second hand.
Their Model One is very very good but a bit bigger and costly.

Oh, just thought about it : I have a pair of B&W CM1 v1 piano black for sale if ever you’re interested. I’m located in Montreal area.

Canadian ? The Totem Mite should be considered then and they are very affordable second hand.
Their Model One is very very good but a bit bigger and costly.

precisely! You must start Canadian and look at Totem! Fabulous speakers and reviews. Start right there.....

advertisement

Back