advertisement

OLED Vs QLED TVs.

maxflinn

pfm Member
Just replaced my 55” LG OLED TV with a Samsung 65” Series 9 QLED. It was a good price and I fancied something bigger. The 65” OLED models were €500 more.

I have to say I’m impressed so far. No the black levels aren’t as deep and shadow detail in dark scenes not as good, but I think the rest of the time the image is fantastic! It seems to be brighter too. Handy for daytime viewing.

Any thoughts on what’s best?

Depends on loads of things, distance from TV, viewing angle/sweet spot needs if multiple people watching, type of material, room brightness, menus and OS, history of updates - some are more active than others on that front etc etc

For example if you only watch UHD 4K Disks or stream UHD Prime/Netflix - Panasonic Z series with Filmmaker mode

Play latest generation XBoX or PS5 only tellys that do 120Hz until new models this year are LG CX/BX

MicroLED is coming out to possibly replace QLED and compete with OLED, rumours are Samsung will be buying OLED panels from LG so maybe it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be.

The **vast majority** of OLED panels are all LG made.
Sony make a few for professional / medical use, consumer wise it's LG with their own processing.
Panasonic is LG panel with their own processing as far as I can remember.
They have also opened a huge plant in China, which along with the plant in South korea gives them immense scale of production.
Samsung wanted to compete - but had no rights to the OLED patent..

The **vast majority** of OLED panels are all LG made.
Sony make a few for professional / medical use, consumer wise it's LG with their own processing.
Panasonic is LG panel with their own processing as far as I can remember.
They have also opened a huge plant in China, which along with the plant in South korea gives them immense scale of production.
Samsung wanted to compete - but had no rights to the OLED patent..
Yeah all 55 inch plus panels are LG, a Chinese company is trying to make OLEDs but so far LG are on their own.

Panny took all the Pioneer Kuro guys on and it’s taken them ages to get a better panel using an LG and their own custom processing, these new Z and JZ models look to be the dogs if you are a movie buff and a PJ isn’t practical.

LG produce all of the worlds OLEDs because they own the patent. It boils down to what you actually do with that panel that counts. Sony do it far far better.

LG OLED TV's are OK , I have a 55 inch in the study for gaming with an Xbox series X and for that it's really quite good.

For movies and especially Dolby Vision, brighter is better. We have a Sony XE9305 65 inch in the living room. It does 1400 nits. An OLED can't reach half of that.

Each to their own. Of course.

Sumitomo own the patents. I was the patent attorney. Samsung didn't want to pay for a license.

OLEDs were discovered at Cambridge by Jeremy Burroughes during his PhD. Sumitomo bought the company in 2006.

Impressive (if true) But. To get back on point.

Which TV is better? (without Googling /Dreaming)

Anyone here actually own one?

An OLED TV. Or an alternative that is as good as.

Thought that was what the whole thread was about.

But people just like to jump in and divert it for some strange reason.

QLED only gets the dynamic range when run bright, so you need a well lit room.
OLED works better and will last longer in darker rooms

I replaced a flagship Quantum Dot Samsung with LG OLED - I prefer the LG with the content I view, mainly UHD 4K movies, series and some sport, which is often in UHD via Sky Q, my room is easy to dim/darken which helps. One thing the Sammy had that would be great for many folk is the One Connect box. I was a bit reluctant to go LG as a 60" plasma had been a let down but these new LG's are brilliant.

This one https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE65KS9500TXXU/

With this one https://www.lg.com/my/tvs/lg-OLED65CXPTA

Edit > Sammy was £1800 June 2017. LG was £1800 Nov 2020 Richer Black Friday.

I replaced a high end plasma with a brand new Panny TX-55HZ2000, and it is stunning, the filmmaker mode is incredible, not sure if I will bother with calibration. I got it for films and although pricey, I am so happy with it. I had to wait ages to come in stock and apparently they can't make them fast enough despite being expensive. For films has to be the best TV available IMO. Supposed to have good speakers but I have never used them so cant comment on that, I just use it as a screen and even on older DVD's such as the Morse series I have just finished rewatching it is amazing. On 4k Sky Q and 4k Bluray, it is another level.

Highly recommended if you want the best*** home high quality realistic film images but probably over kill for SD or gaming.

*** Not including high end PJ systems of course

I prefer the colour balance of Sharp to Samsung and LG, which are too Technicolor for my taste. I used to design Grade 1 studio monitors 40 years ago.

I find Qled to be bright, very bright, put your ray-bans on bright. It will immediately draw your attention if you’re looking at a row of TVs in a Curry’s/ JL type shop.
But bright doesn’t = better.
If all you want is bright, just put pretty much any tv on the vivid, or shop setting.
The Sony, Pana & LG OLEDs are for me, far better. More natural authentic colours, deeper & richer.
Sony is android based so you can add apps eg BT Sport to it, on the Pana & LG you can’t.
Sony dropped the ball a few years ago & the interface was a bit clunky & slow. But over the last 3 years or so they’ve sorted that out.
The LG remote is great to use, really slick.
Best tv....Sony OLED.
Best VFM TV.... probably the LG, as it’s usually a few hundred cheaper than the equivalent Sony.
Pana also make a nice oled, although my in-laws one went kaput after 2 years.
If you’ve owned Samsung in the past, you’ll probably gravitate towards another, as the others would look comparatively muted.

I'm waiting for OLED 48" at sensible prices before thinking about change, I have a superb Panasonic Plasma so I'm in no hurry. BTW there are some colossial late generation Plasma bargains to be had.

I've always had Panasonics or Sonys for pretty much the reasons stated by @manicatel.

Kuro plasmas still give a great picture. It’s just a matter of connectivity issues & incompatibility with the latest formats. And the heat generated!
48” OLEDs won’t come down in price as quickly as they have done with 55 & 65”s as the volume of sales is not as established. Also 55 or even 65 is now the most frequently sold screen size.
Sony 48 a9 OLEDs are about £1400, so they are getting to be sensible prices. I guess they will drop further in time.

advertisement

Back