advertisement

Too many sources!

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I have recently replaced the Naim NAC102 with a NAC12 that I have become rather enamoured with. The trouble is, that the NAC 12 only has 3 x inputs, whereas I have 7 x sources!
  • 4 x turntables
  • Cassette deck
  • Streamer
  • CD player
I can't be the only one who has this issue, so what do you guys do?

I have a second NAC 12 that I am planning to refurbish, so one thought was to run the two side-by-side and just periodically swap pre-amps, but that might become a PITA in the long run.

Or I could just unplug on source and plug in another, but again, I think I'd soon tire of that.

I could buy/make/commission a switch box, but I don't want to suffer insertion losses.

I have been thinking of buying a NAC 52 (not just for the extra inputs).

When I was running the NAC 102, I had an external phono stage, switching between the Michell and the Lenco, so 6 x inputs was enough.

Never heard the 52. I guess you already know that 32.5 can connect 2 turntables plus 3 DIN inputs. Not as musically coherent snd effortless as a 12 but more beefy and smoother sound.

Woodface has the answer.

I used to be unwise enough to have six turntables in the house with enough phono stage inputs for four... I have since given two tts (JBE and Denon) and sold two (LP12 and Technics) along with the single input EAR 834P.
Once you have an SME 20 you tend not to bother with the others.

You could also rip your CDs and simplify the digital side of things to one NAC input.

That or get a more input-rich pre :)

Never heard the 52. I guess you already know that 32.5 can connect two turntables...? Not as musically coherent snd effortless as a 12 but more beefy and smoother sound.

You know, I'd forgotten that, despite the fact that I used to own one, many moons ago!

There’s a highly-rated phono stage - is it a Musical Fidelity? - that has 4 inputs, so that would *almost* get you there.

Makes sense to have a load of record players, IMO.

I fail to see the point in having more than one TT.

There is no point, I just have an interest in record players, particularly vintage ones from the 60's or thereabouts. Hence I have:

• Michell Hydraulic Reference
  • Garrard 401
  • Lenco 88
In addition, there is a modified Stanton ST.150 & an LP12 upstairs.

Consider it my weakness; I must admit, I don't make life easy for myself and I don't limit that to hi-fi either tbh!

There is no point, I just have an interest in record players, particularly vintage ones from the 60's or thereabouts. Hence I have:

• Michell Hydraulic Reference
  • Garrard 401
  • Lenco 88
In addition, there is a modified Stanton ST.150 & an LP12 upstairs.
Pick your two favourites & sell the others. I always liked the idea of running two completely different TTs but I never remotely came close to acting upon it. Ultimately we are all different.

A phonostage(s) with multiple inputs and a preamp with a minimum of 3 line inputs and a tape loop, shouldn't be too hard.

A phonostage(s) with multiple inputs and a preamp with a minimum of 3 line inputs and a tape loop, shouldn't be too hard.

Agreed, but the question was in context of using the Naim NAC 12 pre-amp, of which I have become rather fond.

I thought the Nac 12 very similar to an 82, the 12 had been dual railed, and the 82 had a pair of power supplies. Same as many, I'd like to try a 52 at home, but the entrance fee keeps rising:confused:

I'd suggest the highly rated phono stage that'll take 4 TT's is the Cyrus Signature rather than MF?

...I'd like to try a 52 at home, but the entrance fee keeps rising

Yes, doesn't it just. I've been kicking myself, because I have missed several fine samples (including a couple here on pfm) in the last few months.

Oh, and yes, you are right about the Cyrus Signature phono stage; it can indeed take up to four turntables!

I thought the Nac 12 very similar to an 82, the 12 had been dual railed, and the 82 had a pair of power supplies. Same as many, I'd like to try a 52 at home, but the entrance fee keeps rising:confused:

I'd suggest the highly rated phono stage that'll take 4 TT's is the Cyrus Signature rather than MF?
I have a Cyrus Sig bought cos it takes 4 TT’s, looked at replacing it with the MF NuVista but kept the Cyrus, only issue I have with the Cyrus is it only goes down to 220pF for MM.

Wouldn’t a high quality switch box suffice, short point to point wired by a pro?

advertisement

Back