advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Last edited:
I built a cupboard to store some of my larger sets, which includes nine of the modular buildings.

ACtC-3efiPnCTFuduW7nHY8dPX7NKOJ1_8zjpX3YHOtjjlWGhRYJMb0L6dBkfCtJ3Xsc6DzZtcC292Xe4s5VC3fR8XnV4PsiiDfxw6hh8sK1OYja_mJ8eyYKa2HlGU0A12xhv3stX8odqiPXG-s8T9Or3eaK=w1052-h1402-no

Holy moly what a collection! A lot of Technic sets too! :cool:

Nice..have you built them?
No, not the ones in storage. These are my investment sets. I have a few sets where I bought duplicates; one for investing and the other for building. e.g.

42098: Car Transporter
42110: Land Rover Defender
10271: Fiat 500
10266: NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander
21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V

Can anyone tell me the difference between the original 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V and the current version, 92176: NASA Apollo Saturn V?

Many thanks. I bought and constructed the 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V. Great piece. However, I always meant to buy a second for investment but never got around to it. Might look for a low priced original.

Many thanks. I bought and constructed the 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V. Great piece. However, I always meant to buy a second for investment but never got around to it. Might look for a low priced original.
I bought a MNIB 21309 for €180 about a year ago as I really wanted it - only for Lego to then release the 92176 at £110 late last year. As per the Brick Fanatics link Marchbanks posted they're nigh-on identical. I've still not gotten round to building the Saturn V yet (or Lunar Lander and Discovery which arrived last week). I've done the ISS (boring build but a great display piece). I found a seller on Etsy who does 3D-printed wall mounts for the ISS, Saturn V and LL; he says he'll have one for Discovery soon as well.

I have a long list of kits yet to build - I get the investment angle but I like building them too much! :D

I’ve got two of the original Saturn V, one built. I hadn’t realised it had been deleted and re-released. I wonder what happens with collector-value in this situation, does it follow record & guitar markets in the ‘first press’ being the most valuable?

PS Very tempted by the Shuttle, that looks amazing, though I guess it is a very big box to store. I need to think about shifting some stuff as it is just a massive mountain of boxes in the middle of my bedroom floor! I’d actually quite like to cash-in everything except the NASA stuff and the built Yellow Sub. The rest I have no real interest in and just bought as an investment.

Tony,
It looks like the first release is appreciating already. Kicking myself for not buying another for investment. I did enjoy buildings the Saturn V.

I need to think about shifting some stuff as it is just a massive mountain of boxes in the middle of my bedroom floor! I’d actually quite like to cash-in everything except the NASA stuff and the built Yellow Sub. The rest I have no real interest in and just bought as an investment.
If you do decide to shift some of it I'd be interested to know what you put up for sale please Tony.
Tony,
It looks like the first release is appreciating already. Kicking myself for not buying another for investment. I did enjoy buildings the Saturn V.
Bizarrely then it looks like I'd do better buying a new 92176 to build and keep the original boxed for sale later. The original is around £190-200 on eBay at the moment it seems, so I'm up a few quid on it at present!

I’ve got two of the original Saturn V, one built. I hadn’t realised it had been deleted and re-released. I wonder what happens with collector-value in this situation, does it follow record & guitar markets in the ‘first press’ being the most valuable?

PS Very tempted by the Shuttle, that looks amazing, though I guess it is a very big box to store. I need to think about shifting some stuff as it is just a massive mountain of boxes in the middle of my bedroom floor! I’d actually quite like to cash-in everything except the NASA stuff and the built Yellow Sub. The rest I have no real interest in and just bought as an investment.

Wish I'd bought 2 as well now since I built my Saturn V. Think they were £90 but have doubled if MISB. If was able to get the Shuttle, I don't think I could resist building it and I'm meant to be in this for investing! It's hard to know what will gain in value so I've only bought kits that I wouldn't mind building if the values don't increase. I know it can take a few years but I've done really well with the 911 GT3RS, Mercedes Arocs, (both MISB), Class Tractor and Le Mans racer both fetched more than I paid even though they built.

It all beats having savings in the banks which is just pointless at the moment.

Think they were £90 but have doubled if MISB.

£109.99 according to my records. Still a decent return. I think I bought one of them when there was a freebie from the Lego Store too, plus VIP points on both, which all factors-in. I’ll be delighted if it gets to the point my built one ends up being free!

I managed to pick up the new Porsche 911 with the free VIP Porsche pack when it launched last month. The VIP packs alone on eBay are £85-100 at the moment which is nuts. The good thing is I can build the Porsche as they'll be available for a while yet.

The ones I keep hesitating on but know I really ought to buy before they're retired are the UCS Star Destroyer and Millennium Falcon. Oh, and the Chiron. I think those will all jump in value once they're no longer current. Problem is that's £1500+ just for those - and they're all ones I really want to build too!

I managed to pick up the new Porsche 911 with the free VIP Porsche pack when it launched last month. The VIP packs alone on eBay are £85-100 at the moment which is nuts. The good thing is I can build the Porsche as they'll be available for a while yet.

The ones I keep hesitating on but know I really ought to buy before they're retired are the UCS Star Destroyer and Millennium Falcon. Oh, and the Chiron. I think those will all jump in value once they're no longer current. Problem is that's £1500+ just for those - and they're all ones I really want to build too!

£649 each for the UCS Star Destroyer and Millennium Falcon? :eek:

48 hours of telling myself to wait until Christmas to get the Space Shuttle didn't go to plan. Oh well, at least LEGO offered double VIP points on it.

I need to think about shifting some stuff as it is just a massive mountain of boxes in the middle of my bedroom floor! I’d actually quite like to cash-in everything except the NASA stuff and the built Yellow Sub. The rest I have no real interest in and just bought as an investment.
Those boxes are a PITA. They are easily scuffed, dented and fussy about their orientation when stored. I suppose they also appreciate being kept away from direct sunlight.

I have decided to buy only sets that I like. So potentially high value investment sets like the Grand Piano, Colosseum and Star Wars UCS won't make my list unless heavily discounted (at least 20% off). I'd really like to buy the Roller Coaster (before it is retired) to go with my Ferris Wheel and Carousel, but the best price I can find is just 10% off. It's a fair wodge of change for yet another huge box.

The sets I'd like to keep for a long time are the Modular Buildings. In MISB condition, they seem to appreciate in value nicely.

advertisement

Back