advertisement

New EBLT's from Rega

OK, I just installed the Reference EBLT and I can definitely hear a difference. The soundstage is more relaxed and calm. I also think I can hear a bit more details. The overall impression is that everything is more calm and relaxed.

Well, I should have been more clear. The presentation and the soundstage have a more relaxed presentation. Sharp guitars still have attack and edge of course.

OK, I just installed the Reference EBLT and I can definitely hear a difference. The soundstage is more relaxed and calm. I also think I can hear a bit more details. The overall impression is that everything is more calm and relaxed.

I have yet to fit EBLT's but this was my impression moving from black to white belts back in the day.

On my planar 3 (with upgraded motor - the one that is stuck to the plinth with double sided tape) the most apparent change from black to white belt was the speed stability - particularly noticeable on solo piano.

Well, I should have been more clear. The presentation and the soundstage have a more relaxed presentation. Sharp guitars still have attack and edge of course.
I just put a pair of the reference EBLT black belts on my P9 and I agree with your assessment. Relaxed, yet detailed, with liveness that sometimes evade Regas.

Mine were quickly shipped to the US by Analogue Seduction.

My P8 is next!

And equally positive result from P8. I have Orto Jube on the P9 and Nag 500 on the P8....I think I am hearing cart differences more than tables.

Verdict: well worth the investment!

One has to give credit to Rega for doing basic, granular research into a mundane component, coming up with a superior version and making it available to the customer base at a good price.

Good job, Rega!

Last edited:
Just replaced two grubby white belts with two new reference belts on my RP8 and agree with the sentiments already posted. More relaxed presentation, more texture and more detail but not thrust at you, just subtly sitting there yet easily heard. Regarding the relaxed nature I think it’s due to more stable speed, it’s as if notes have all the time in the world to present themselves and aren’t in a hurry anymore. There’s also more air and space and bass feels stronger/more dynamic. All subjective I know but that’s my 2p’s (£50’s) worth. I bought my deck used so not sure how old the belts were but looked original to me. Pulley and hub got a bit of a clean before fitting belts so that probably helped too. Here’s the before and after readings using a phone app, oh and a special thanks to Analogue Seduction, belts ordered Friday, delivered to NI on Saturday morning, top notch service as usual.

OutI5XT.png
0guj4y1.png

Edit: I’m going to have to learn to keep time with my left foot too or I’ll have one leg bigger than the other soon. Definitely more of that idler drive vibe with these belts.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a really silly question. I bought my Planar 8 in December. I imagine that the EBLTs that came with it are those now described as ‘Advanced EBLTs’. Or is the Advanced an improved version over the EBLTs that I already have? I ask because I’ve ordered a pair of the Reference belts and I don’t want to bin the belts I’ve got if they can be of use to someone for a few quid.

Sorry if this is a really silly question. I bought my Planar 8 in December. I imagine that the EBLTs that came with it are those now described as ‘Advanced EBLTs’. Or is the Advanced an improved version over the EBLTs that I already have? I ask because I’ve ordered a pair of the Reference belts and I don’t want to bin the belts I’ve got if they can be of use to someone for a few quid.
I don’t think the advance belts were released until mid March but I’d pm Paul Darwin to be sure?

Just fitted a couple of Reference EBLT's to my P9. Cleaned and re-lubed the bearing with three drops of Land Rover gearbox oil.

IMG_0010 by Dave Charlton, on Flickr

IMG_0011 by Dave Charlton, on Flickr

Onto listening:- Rest of system is Apheta-R*, Ios phono stage, Lehmann Linear headphone amplifier and Sennheiser HD800 headphones. Album used was Sructuralism by Alpha Mist (still fresh in my mind from last night).

Previous white belt changes had been positive but I'd been using speakers then and am now using cans so I was unsure if any differences (good or bad) would be heard. I needn't have worried. From the opening few bars, it was obvious. Like others above I'd have to agree and I don't know how they do it but somehow Rega manage to slow time down, making the music sound more relaxed with more focus over the entire spectrum. Not much else to say apart from the possible influence of the ageing belts being replaced and of course the oil change.

*Apheta-R means rebuild ;)

Fit a reference belt to my RP6 today, previously using an Edwards Blue Belter.

On fitting, I had to use speed adjustment on recently acquired Neo to bring it to 33.3. Typical wow/sigma2 measurements with the Edwards were 0.15%. With the Reference Belt it's 0.07%.

Perhaps only of interest to the fastidious, but a nice upgrade for little outlay.

Used the RPM app on a couple of phones to corroborate, imperfect but some insight nevertheless.

So far, I can't say so. Listening to electronic/band stuff and not critically, so probably not so easily discernible.

Perhaps on voice and strings it might show. Theoretically, it seems possible to pick up on such an improvement.

advertisement

Back