advertisement

Avondale Grad One

sorry have to excuse my ignorance here but what is a passive preamp?

It is basically a potentiometer in a box - a volume control and nothing else. It is usually in the form of a stepped attenuator (a multi-position switch where you subtract resistance at each discrete step clockwise)

I had an Audio Synthesis passive one time. Highly regarded and rightly so. But it didn’t suite me. It’s clinical with an absence of punch. If you like something small scale like string quartets it’s unbeatable. Basically it’s a bit niche. I’ve a Grad1 yet I got close to buying the Allergi in the classified on here. It’s that good but limited in the stuff it’s good at.

I had a Grad 1 about 15 years ago. All round better than the 32.5 that it replaced.
I gutted the 32.5 shoebox and stuffed it with PFM’s very own Starfish project board.

This turned out to be better than the Grad, better than the Naim 52 I had, even.
The Starfish is still my preamp to date.

Over time I have had APX2, APX4, TPX1 and TPX2. The APX power supplies go back a long way and were essentially hicap replacements, and very effective at that. The TPX1 is a slimmer version of the APX2 and was "original equipment" with the Grad1. The TPX2 came after the TPX1 and is much more than an updated TPX1 being at least twice the size the the TPX1 and a massive improvement with the Grad1. The only downsides of the TPX2 are that it makes a somewhat inelegant pairing with the Grad 1 and doesn't fit on a Naim sized rack. The Grad1 and TPX2 combination does sound exceptionally good though!

Over time I have had APX2, APX4, TPX1 and TPX2. The APX power supplies go back a long way and were essentially hicap replacements, and very effective at that. The TPX1 is a slimmer version of the APX2 and was "original equipment" with the Grad1. The TPX2 came after the TPX1 and is much more than an updated TPX1 being at least twice the size the the TPX1 and a massive improvement with the Grad1. The only downsides of the TPX2 are that it makes a somewhat inelegant pairing with the Grad 1 and doesn't fit on a Naim sized rack. The Grad1 and TPX2 combination does sound exceptionally good though!

I think you're right. The TPX1 and 2 were sold alongside each other so the TPX2 effectively replaced the APX2 at some point. I still have my APX2

I had a Grad 1 with its dedicated PSU (not sure what it was called), an A260Z power amp and one of Les's phono stages with another PSU.

Absolutely amazing service from Les, but I ultimately preferred an AVI Lab Series Integrated with built in phono stage.

I have just upgraded from a Linn Klimax DS/1 to a DSM/2 so now longer need my Grad 1 and TPX 2. I'm thinking of listing them for sale in classifieds. Does anyone have any idea on a reasonable price?

By the way, the Grad 1 originally came with a SPX1, the TPX1 was a later upgrade in the same sized box.

I have just upgraded from a Linn Klimax DS/1 to a DSM/2 so now longer need my Grad 1 and TPX 2. I'm thinking of listing them for sale in classifieds. Does anyone have any idea on a reasonable price?

By the way, the Grad 1 originally came with a SPX1, the TPX1 was a later upgrade in the same sized box.

This was in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago if it helps.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/avondale-grad-1-and-tpx2-psu.255085/#post-4359864

Cheers

John

On the general discussion about the Grad 1 / TPX2 performance, you'll realise I have vested interest, but nevertheless I'll share my experience.

I think Avondale power amps are excellent but can be bettered if you pay enough money - I had a pair of Avondale M2 monoblocks that were outperformed by their replacement Sanders Magtech - but this has a superb reputation and a list price of $5500. On the other hand, I never heard a pre-amp that outperformed the Grad1/TPX2, which is why I've used it for so long and upgraded everything else before not needing it. I can hear no audible improvement between using my Linn Klimax DSM/2 as a source into the Grad 1 and bypassing it and using the DSM pre-amp facility direct to the power amp (fortunately no detriment either), which shows just how transparent the Grad 1/TPX2 is. This definitely wasn't the case when auditioning a last spec Linn Klimax Kontrol (with a list price around £6K I think), which sounded constricted in comparison.

sadly job loss has kind of shelved my plans just now and still no buyers for my 102 or various power supplies means funds are tight.

the lack of a remote is still a concern Les reckons no way to convert a Grad1

looks like I will either have to keep the 102 or get a 32.5/72 and very slowly upgrade it.

Grad1/TPX2 seems out of reach for the short term

advertisement

Back