advertisement

Cartridge upgrade Rega P1

.., it makes more sense to upgrade properly.

Certainly !
nobody can disagree on that, however it might be more complicated..

A new P2 have much better tonearm & platter than P1, maybe there are other details too.
Notice antiskating on some P2 is fixed, NOT adjustable.

As for getting an old 90'ies Planar, then you really should aim higher than P2/P3 level, I'm not sure how much better an old Planar 2 is vs new P1.

I'm not sure how much better an old Planar 2 is vs new P1.

Not much. I've played the P1 against a vintage Planar3 and there isn't much in it. The Planar3 has a much better arm obviously but I think the lighter plinth and 24v motor on the P1 swing it back. The plastic platter is surprisingly close to the glass one in sound.

Thanks for all your comments. Looks like I’m staring down quite a sizeable rabbit hole..... welcome to the world of vinyl, eh? I think the cartridge is a good starting point as I’m aware the Carbon is good but basic. I will get a new mat as the one it came with is fraying a little. That will give me time to think and save for the next step.

Thanks for all your comments. Looks like I’m staring down quite a sizeable rabbit hole..... welcome to the world of vinyl, eh? I think the cartridge is a good starting point as I’m aware the Carbon is good but basic. I will get a new mat as the one it came with is fraying a little. That will give me time to think and save for the next step.
It’s very easy to get caught up in the moment and go way further than you ever planned to go as well as way over budget, speaking from experience :).

I think your plan to start with a new cart and then do some research and planning makes the most sense.

advertisement

Back