advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to abandon the plan then...

I think the plan is perfectly sensible and gets the speed of re-opening about right, certainly more than it did last year. June 21 for me is a reasonable date to return to some form of normality. All adults are due to be vaccinated by the end of July.

I just despair when I see forum members bemoan the re-opening of shops and people having a haircut. They act like they don’t want any normality. How slow do they want to re-open? If they want to stay at home forever, then let them but let the rest of us get on with it.

I just think some of the lefty, Guardian reading folk on here don’t want to be seen to be agreeing with the Tory government on anything.

Can't disagree with any of that, the only caveat being that if we wait another year will there be much left of any of those things to even re-open?

I service the kit at a big conference venue not far from me, they've effectively been completely closed for over a year. They've already laid off all the 250 staff aside from a handful of maintenance guys, when I spoke to the bloke left running it he reckons they've lost a million a month whilst shut.

My son works as a chef in a cafe in a large shopping centre, he’s been furloughed for a year, he gets the odd shift when the cafe is opened for takeaways and someone wants a day off but essentially he hasn’t worked for 15 months.

Same with the local barber I used to go for a haircut every three weeks I’ve not been near them since last February and it’s the same with the Dogwalker.

This lot is going to take some recovering from.

What I've not heard, or maybe I've missed it, is what is going to be considered a "win" with this? Are we aiming for full bore, zero cases/deaths with this thing or are we going to be realistic and accept like we do with flu and other seasonal viruses that we simply can't stamp it out completely?

What I've not heard, or maybe I've missed it, is what is going to be considered a "win" with this? Are we aiming for full bore, zero cases/deaths with this thing or are we going be realistic and accept like we do with flu and other seasonal viruses that we simply can't stamp it out completely?

You know this government doesn't like to give bad news, but I think it's now accepted that we need to learn to live with the virus. The million dollar question that the government seem unable or unwilling to answer is what level of deaths are acceptable. In time we will of course get better vaccines and better treatments so it will become, to an extent, similar to flu in terms of how we view it, but it's the map to getting there that is unclear at present.

You're mistaken then. What we don't want is "normality" for three months and then back in the shit again in autumn, when we open up for "normality" it needs to be on the basis of not going back to square one.
And I don’t want that either. If we follow the roadmap and everyone get a jab on their arm by the end of July, what can go wrong?

I want to see some careful measures so we can compromise without having to endure what we have been doing for the last three months.

It’s been June since I could have anyone in our house. Some parts of the country have had it worse than others. I’m quite happy for a slow opening if it means it can stay open. Just want to be able to meet up for a master or two!

The other thing is that the lockdown last March will have a serious impact on businesses for at least this year, my business Basically dropped of a cliff from the last week in March 2020 and recovered a bit around October time for a couple of months but I rely on repeat business from the previous year-month so March wasn’t too bad but this month has been dead so far and last May in the entire month I did three jobs, two for the same customer, so that means that I’ll likely be dead in May and June and July too.

I suspect that millions of businesses will be in the same boat.

What they need to hold back is the tide of people who just want the summer out on the piss/holiday who seem to be ok with the cost being a load more dead folk in the autumn/winter.

I can just see it, the Malaga variant, screwing up all the hard work we’ve done. If I was in charge there’d be no foreign holidays this year till the rest of Europe gets it sorted

What they need to hold back is the tide of people who just want the summer out on the piss/holiday who seem to be ok with the cost being a load more dead folk in the autumn/winter.
With all of the most vulnerable vaccinated and having 100 per cent protection against serious disease, how is a repeat of last autumn/winter going to happen?

If we get Covid down to flu levels of deaths, we have to learn to live with it.

What really grates me is people acting like nothing has changed from last year. We have vaccines!

With all of the most vulnerable vaccinated and having 100 per cent protection against serious disease, how is a repeat of last autumn/winter going to happen?

I hate having to reply to you but Brazil P1 is killing people 50 and under, some as young as 20 are dying.

So that’s how there will be a repeat.

Over half the population haven’t been vaccinated 37million give or take.

I’m sorry but the vaccines either work or they don’t work. We’re told constantly by the government they’re our route back to normal. Matt Hancock and Boris Johnson remind us of this on a regular basis on Twitter with comments such as ‘every jab takes us a step closer to normality’.

All this talk of a third wave and everything being like last autumn/winter does nothing more than undermine them and will make many folk question what is the point in having a vaccine.

A lot of folk in the real world away from this forum (which I don’t think is in chime with public opinion a lot of the time) have had enough and want some normality which we’ll finally start to see tomorrow for the first time in months.

I’m sorry but the vaccines either work or they don’t work.

Sorry, but they don't. They work, in part. They lessen the chance of catching the disease, they lessen its effects (we think), they lessen the chance of transmitting it (we think). They do not 100% stop any of that! And then there are the people who haven't been vaccinated. Then there are new mutations that the vaccines might be less effective against... and so on. It's not anywhere near as simple as you are portraying it!

Sorry, but they don't. They work, in part. They lessen the chance of catching the disease, they lessen its effects (we think), they lessen the chance of transmitting it (we think). They do not 100% stop any of that! And then there are the people who haven't been vaccinated. Then there are new mutations that the vaccines might be less effective against... and so on. It's not anywhere near as simple as you are portraying it!

There really is little point in engaging and providing facts and clarifications! I’ve given up, so admire you for keeping at it...

Yes I know all this, you can’t get away from it!

Lots of anti-vax stuff on here though but that’s acceptable apparently. I’ve had to read scaremongering Guardian links all week about blood clots from AZ.

I’ll be keeping a low profile on this thread from now on as it’s obvious most don’t agree with me, even if they do outside of the lefty, anti-royal bubble that a lot of this forum seems to be, where some folk think it’s acceptable to derail an RIP thread about the duke. Says a lot more about them than me!

Yes I know all this, you can’t get away from it!

Lots of anti-vax stuff on here though but that’s acceptable apparently. I’ve had to read scaremongering Guardian links all week about blood clots from AZ.

I’ll be keeping a low profile on this thread from now on as it’s obvious most don’t agree with me, even if they do outside of the lefty, anti-royal bubble that a lot of this forum seems to be, where some folk think it’s acceptable to derail an RIP thread about the duke. Says a lot more about them than me!

Forums create debate. It’s the whole point. The problem is that forums attract certain views, and posters, depending on the topic. I do agree there is little point in posting about certain topics. But you did post a sweeping generalisation, and then corrected it a couple of posts later.

The selective posting of tweets and media releases adds to this level of frustration, in one sense. This is amplified by other news not being posted by a contributor as, in some cases, it contradicts an earlier view or opinion they have posted.

Also it’s far easier to debate stuff face to face, rather than sending an electronic letter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back