advertisement

Digital audio out iPad to USB DAC?

Apple make an adapter called the Camera Connector Kit. For an iPad with a lightning connection, you need the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. For the newest iPad Pro with a USB C connection, you need the USB C to USB adapter.

Apple make an adapter called the Camera Connector Kit. For an iPad with a lightning connection, you need the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. For the newest iPad Pro with a USB C connection, you need the USB C to USB adapter.
The best option is the one with power input, so you don't drain your battery while listening.

Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7KJDIM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

Would these solutions require a driver to be installed on the computer?

The device might not need a driver, but the dac has to be usb2 something compliant and recognised by the OS without installing a driver.

I have tried it with a Khadas Toneboard and the dac was recognised immediately.

ronnie

The best option is the one with power input, so you don't drain your battery while listening.

Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7KJDIM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20
I use my iPhone to output audio into a battery powered DAC for in car use (iPhone/DAC/Aux) so if I get a USB to USBC adaptor would I be able to keep the phone charged via it while it outputs data to the DAC via USB socket on the adaptor? Hope that makes some kind of sense?

With the latest iPad Pro, I expect that you could use a regular USB-C to USB type B cable instead of an adapter and separate cable.

I used to use a Yamaha go-44 interface as dac with fireWire connection because I had a MacBook. Now I have an iPad can I buy an adaptor for lightning to firewire ?

I use my iPhone to output audio into a battery powered DAC for in car use (iPhone/DAC/Aux) so if I get a USB to USBC adaptor would I be able to keep the phone charged via it while it outputs data to the DAC via USB socket on the adaptor? Hope that makes some kind of sense?
The one I use does keep my Ipad charged. UsbC version with power should do the same.

My 2018 iPad pro won't put signal to my DAC via a usb cable with usbA to C adapter dongle, whereas my android phone works without issue.

Is this because perhaps the DAC is not usb 2.0? Is there some driver or app known to any of you to overcome my issue?

Thanks in advance.

My 2018 iPad pro won't put signal to my DAC via a usb cable with usbA to C adapter dongle, whereas my android phone works without issue.

Is this because perhaps the DAC is not usb 2.0? Is there some driver or app known to any of you to overcome my issue?

Thanks in advance.
Do you get an error message on the iPad?
Some DACs don’t work with the iPad / CCK because the DAC draws too much power from the iPad, this depends on the design of the DAC.

Do you get an error message on the iPad?
Some DACs don’t work with the iPad / CCK because the DAC draws too much power from the iPad, this depends on the design of the DAC.
My ipad doesn't like most of my dacs ( drawing too much power sign appears ) its ok with the cyrus soundkey, doesn't like my converters, schiit eitr and mf linkv2..ipad doesn't like my jolida dac either! But happy with my kingrex t20u..ipad doesn't like my HRT streamer 2 + as well...quite annoying to be honest as the ipad is more consistent with qobuz than either my chrome book or lynx tablet..qobuz keeps stuttering..ipad seems to hold onto signal better?

It has to be USB1 compliant, like a dragonfly, any DAC that needs drivers won’t work on an ipad. I use a dragonfly to stream Qobuz to my system and it’s awesome,. Just get one of them.

advertisement

Back