advertisement

Harbeth XD - What's The Difference

They give their countrymen a break, but stick it to the rest of the world.

I think if you had the figures in front of you that you may find that's down to shipping, import duties, taxes, distribution margins and dealer margins and I assume by your forum name you're a US citizen, if I lived in the US I would buy US manufactured products and support my own economy.

I think if you had the figures in front of you that you may find that's down to shipping, import duties, taxes, distribution margins and dealer margins and I assume by your forum name you're a US citizen, if I lived in the US I would buy US manufactured products and support my own economy.

But I don't want a VPI turntable.

Shipping, import duties, taxes distribution margins and dealer margins account for some, but there was a time when the US dealer cost for Rega was more than the full retail price w/VAT in the UK. It may still be so, I don't have access to the numbers for this century.

I didn't say anything
I was blocked on HUG for asking about the official frequency response measurements. Alan Shaw screams at every corner about the flatness of the frequency response of his loudspeakers, but he never proved an even frequency response - only words.
Alan Shaw is a genius marketer with perfect diction and a well-developed voice, but I have a lot of questions for him as an engineer.

I was blocked on HUG for asking about the official frequency response measurements. Alan Shaw screams at every corner about the flatness of the frequency response of his loudspeakers, but he never proved an even frequency response - only words.
Alan Shaw is a genius marketer with perfect diction and a well-developed voice, but I have a lot of questions for him as an engineer.

There's plenty of third party measurements out there - Stereophile, some European mags too. Of late, they're all reasonably flat on axis

There's plenty of third party measurements out there - Stereophile, some European mags too. Of late, they're all reasonably flat on axis
I suggest you read Alan Shaw's correspondence with Stereophile after the monitor 40 review. Alan speaks very harshly about measurements made not in an anechoic chamber or without raising the speakers from the ground. According to him, all measurements in the room are biased. But if so, then let him show the correct measurements from the anechoic chamber.

I suggest you read Alan Shaw's correspondence with Stereophile after the monitor 40 review. Alan speaks very harshly about measurements made not in an anechoic chamber or without raising the speakers from the ground. According to him, all measurements in the room are biased. But if so, then let him show the correct measurements from the anechoic chamber.

I remember seeing a video with AS during the design process for, I think, the 40.1, and he was doing measurements in his office holding the microphone in his hand.

Yes, isn't this rise in the bass a known quantity in their measurements?

The Newport Test labs review of the 30.2 should prove illuminating. Also, Audio Science Review have an older iteration on their books. Many German mags have measured their speakers too.

I'm sat here listening to a pair of Harbeth 40.3 XD and they are stunning! couldn't give a toss about measurements.
Mac

They'd better be at that asking price
The earlier 40 had several bas-issues IMO
How many editions are now made before they succeeded ?

look at Grahams first
If only I knew in advance about the problems with the build quality that I encountered when I bought the new Harbeth SHL5 plus anniversary, I would take Graham Audio. But experience does not come immediately. Harbeth should consider improving quality control. Especially now that they've raised prices. It's just not worth it.

If only I knew in advance about the problems with the build quality that I encountered when I bought the new Harbeth SHL5 plus anniversary, I would take Graham Audio. But experience does not come immediately. Harbeth should consider improving quality control. Especially now that they've raised prices. It's just not worth it.

What issues did you have?

advertisement

Back