advertisement

LP player related?

VVV

pfm Member
I have a question and wondering if I can get your advice.

I noticed a slight mild electrical shock like sensation when I put my finger onto the tip of the tonearm (the usual tip / spot to lift tonearm up/ down) and this sensation stays when my finger tip is on it with the system powered on.
I haven’t felt this before.

Is there something I need to do?

If everything on the hifi is earthed, you are charging-up and discharging when you touch anything earthed

^^^^^ True, sort of, if everything on the hifi is earthed it will be related to the OP charging.
There are various mechanisms for the lingering feeling.

Besides - not wearing slippers for a short period is hardly a big ask!

Of course, I have to take off slippers short before touch metal cases or electronic devices to avoid discharge, no problems. OP has something different, I have the same in country house, not big problem, will need to sort out eventually.

Also make sure the phono stage is grounded to the amp if it is the type with a simple plastic wall-wart PSU (i.e. no earth pin). Chances are it is via the interconnects, but worth checking with a meter if you have one. I’m a firm believer in correctly grounding record decks, it really does make a difference.

How would I check if my system is properly grounded?

You would need a multimeter of some kind. If you have one it is very simple.

To check that the problem is not you charging-up, just have bare feet for an hour or so - even simpler.

I noticed a slight mild electrical shock like sensation when I put my finger onto the tip of the tonearm (the usual tip / spot to lift tonearm up/ down) and this sensation stays when my finger tip is on it with the system powered on.

I had the same issue after treating myself to a new chair.
I get quite shock if I forget to touch the radiator first.

You would need a multimeter of some kind. If you have one it is very simple.

To check that the problem is not you charging-up, just have bare feet for an hour or so - even simpler.
I was bare feet when I felt it.

Do you have a multimeter?
Unfortunately, I don’t have one

I just moved the Project Phono stage away from Linn lingo, haven’t felt the sensation like earlier. It was sitting on top of Lingo power supply. Not sure if this was the cause.

What part of the country are you in?

If you’re within a reasonable reach of the West Midlands (I’m Brownhills/Walsall Wood area), I’ll happily help diagnose and resolve your issue. I’m an LP12/Lingo 2 owner (once again )... mine isn’t giving me shocks and I’ve never had shocks off one... I’m wondering if you actually have one of the phases actually shorting to a metal part of the deck... it wouldn’t be enough to give you a big jolt off a Lingo (unlike a basic passive phase shift supply, which would hurt if you came into contact with it), but you’d feel a tingle for sure.

What part of the country are you in?

If you’re within a reasonable reach of the West Midlands (I’m Brownhills/Walsall Wood area), I’ll happily help diagnose and resolve your issue. I’m an LP12/Lingo 2 owner (once again )... mine isn’t giving me shocks and I’ve never had shocks off one... I’m wondering if you actually have one of the phases actually shorting to a metal part of the deck... it wouldn’t be enough to give you a big jolt off a Lingo (unlike a basic passive phase shift supply, which would hurt if you came into contact with it), but you’d feel a tingle for sure.

Hello,

I live in USA.
I live Linn Lingo 1 I think.
Thank you !

advertisement

Back