advertisement

Phono stage

VVV

pfm Member
Hi

I have Linn LP 12 with Project tonearm and Ortofon Black cartridge.
Connected to Project phono box2 to a valve preamp but looking for a better phono stage.
Any recommendation would be much appreciated.
Thank you

How much are you wanting to spend? Will you want to try MC later or defo stick with MM?

Used would be best value, put a WTD advert in the classifieds here.

There’s a chap on here who modifies Cambridge stages which apparently are very good and great value for money, think he’s away for a while at present search for member name Arkless and phono stages.

How much are you wanting to spend? Will you want to try MC later or defo stick with MM?

There’s a chap on here who modifies Cambridge stages which apparently are very good and great value for money, think he’s away for a while at present search for member name Arkless and phono stages.

I am looking for both MM/MC capable amp.
Yes, I am looking for preowned.
Thank you!!

Jez Arkless’s stages are absolutely superb... he has a waiting list, but if you’re looking for a good phono stage the right side of £500 (or more even), get on his list. I heard one with an Ortofon 2M black connected to it (on a Heybrook TT2) last year, I couldn’t believe how good it was.

Jez Arkless’s stages are absolutely superb... he has a waiting list, but if you’re looking for a good phono stage the right side of £500 (or more even), get on his list. I heard one with an Ortofon 2M black connected to it (on a Heybrook TT2) last year, I couldn’t believe how good it was.

Interesting.
How would I get on the wait list?

Interesting.
How would I get on the wait list?

You would need to buy either a Cambridge Audio 640p or 651p phono stage to send to him, and then he completely transforms it (he basically uses the case and PSU but builds a completely new audio circuit)... then tag @Arkless Electronics to open dialogue with him.

If you need any help from someone in the UK to source a CA 640/651 to send to Arkless, I’m happy to assist.

Bear in mind @VVV is in the US.
That said, there is no reason why VVV could not buy a Cambridge on UK EPay and get it shipped to Arkless.

The Arkless stage that I borrowed was the MC only version (GTi?) and that was/is exremely good. I compared that to a Michell Iso (to me a very similar sound to a DV P75) into my Croft preamp, and also an SUT into the MM stage of my Croft. The Arkless was much more to my liking than the Iso, and was just different to the SUT/Croft.

The Croft MM RIAA, whether in a Croft preamp, or a stand-alone unit into a valve pre' has an excellent reputation and is my preferred phono stage, fed from an SUT or head amp'. Glenn Croft does not build MC phono stages.

There will be many more, different, recommendations along shortly :)

Keep a lookout for a Bigbottle BB3, absolutely brilliant piece of kit. With your budget your not far off getting a new one.Have a look at audioaddictsforum.com and speak to Oliver. Like said nothing else comes close for a grand!

The Arkless stage can also be optimised for the 2M Black, which prefers a lower impedance than the usual 47k. But as the OP is in the USA, he’d better ensure he can obtain a suitable wall wart PSU for it. It’s not a SMPS.

If I was in USA I’d have a go with the Puffin, very clever design with lots of tech and under $1000
http://parksaudiollc.com/

For vinyl lovers everywhere,
the Puffin does it all.

* NEW! MAGIC gently attenuates your records pops and clicks making your LPs sound better than ever
* NEW! Adjust your cartridge's azimuth for better stereo and mono
* Dial in your sound using Tilt, Air, Treble, Bass, and BassBoost
* Twenty gain settings from -4dB (CD) to 72dB (MC) w/ 40dB (MM) default
* Over 500 adjustable phono settings for LPs and 78s
* Volume control with cueing mute
* Modes are Stereo, Mono, Left and Right
* Apply transfer functions like tube (2H) and tape (3H)
* Recall default settings (CD, MM, MC) and save your own
* Traditional analog inputs and outputs (RCA type)
* Suggested initial settings for many cartridges
* Mod your Puffin with a digital coax output (SPDIF)

If only Arkless was here now he'd tell the OP how great his contraption is and how shit every other one is.

I hear great things about the Big Bottle phono stages, search Ollie out and strike up a convo - it might be worth your while and his too.

advertisement

Back