advertisement

Naim Transformer Hum or Buzz, how loud should it be?

Does Your Naim Buzz

• Total voters
Some of the modern classical/improvisational music I listen to has very quiet passages, and long passages of silence, so transformer buzz/hum is an absolute no-no.

I guess it's similar to the way CD was embraced very quickly by classical music lovers. It was silent and timing didn't matter very much.

It was one of the big turn-offs of Naim kit for me.

Some of the modern classical/improvisational music I listen to has very quiet passages, and long passages of silence, so transformer buzz/hum is an absolute no-no.
John Cage 4'33'' perchance?
I can imagine that just over 4 and a half minutes of "bzzzzzzzz" might detract from the recording.

A lot of the Olive stuff had H&F trafos too, they performed slightly better overall IIRC

Their 250.2 was dissapointing, the DR much improved but now very expensive

Less than a year ago I bought an Olive NAP250 with a H&F transformer that was serviced less than 2 years ago by either Class A or Witch Hat (invoice somewhere in the original box) and it buzzes. I suspect there is some DC in the AC input but have not had time to measure it. Will try a DC blocker to see if it stops buzzing.

My power amps throw out over 300 watts and weigh over 30kg each, when on they are silent with your ear pressed against the case, and no hiss through the speakers, if your amps/transformers humm, its because v- poor quality, and v-poor implementation, but don't worry naim fan-boys will buy anything, and naim know it,

I am tempted to concur. However, Quad, Exposure and Sugden amplification can also be noisy and hissy, but I think it sounds splendid. I am sure people that have Naim kit also think their kit sounds great.

There is a lot to be said for Linn's use of SMPS's as it alleviates these problems as well as filtering out all mains noise.

I am tempted to concur. However, Quad, Exposure and Sugden amplification can also be noisy and hissy, but I think it sounds splendid. I am sure people that have Naim kit also think their kit sounds great.

There is a lot to be said for Linn's use of SMPS's as it alleviates these problems as well as filtering out all mains noise.

Good point about the switching mode power supply but does someone knows if it’s as durable on the long term when compared to a large transformer with two large capacitors and oversized rectifiers such as in a Naim, Musical Fidelity or Exposure amplifier ?

My NAP 140 measured 25-30 dB when I measure with smartphone w/ decibel meter application, it measured by the putting the smartphone on the NAP 140 casing. But when I measure at 1m or above, there's only 15-20 dB.

Is it normal?

I use a recently acquired DC blocker from Bulgaria in order to quiet the Naim transformer buzzing. It does indeed function correctly and I haven't noticed any negative effects on the sound.

My NAP 140 measured 25-30 dB when I measure with smartphone w/ decibel meter application, it measured by the putting the smartphone on the NAP 140 casing. But when I measure at 1m or above, there's only 15-20 dB.

Is it normal?

No, you need to send it back to Naim to have the hum re-installed as it's clearly too quiet. Must admit Naim gear does seem to hum slightly and on those rare occasions I want to listen to music with my head on the power amp casing it's very distracting. Far better to get something from China that has been nowhere near European electrical safety legislation so you stand more chance of getting an electric shock if you try and get your ear near the casing! HTH :D

My Supercap DR, 555PSDR and 500PS all buzz and it does my head in.
buzz varies throughout the day. My plan is to sort a dedicated consumer unit when I get around to a house re-wire.

It is probably a cumulative effect. My Supercap was always quite loud. Current gear is silent. I quite like having kit on standby rather than always on. If I remember I sometimes switch the speakers on half an hour before listening but I am not sure this makes a massive difference.

advertisement

Back