advertisement

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
In some ways this pips 1972 to the post in terms of great albums that have stood the test of time. Here's five I bought on release and still listen to:

Iggy & The Stooges: Raw Power

John Cale: Paris 1919

Lou Reed: Berlin

David Bowie: Aladdin Sane

New York Dolls: New York Dolls

Countdown to Ecstasy
A Wizard, A True Star...

(those came to mind immediately, the ellipsis means ‘pausing for thought’.)

Oh yes...

Here Come The Warm Jets
Time Fades Away...

I seem to remember Pink Floyd released an album that year, but I don’t recall the title. I was never that fond of it anyway. I’ll try to think of a fifth...

Innervisions is pretty fantastic, so that will do.

Last edited:
I was born in 1973 and imo, it's the best year for music ever! I'm not even gonna list anything because frankly, the list is so huge that to list five would be an insult to the innumerable other albums that could easily stand in their place.

Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
The harder they come - jimmy cliff
Transformer - Lou Reed
Nuff said

Not sure I agree with the premise of the post as compared with 71 and 72 but 73 did include

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
The Who - Quadrophenia
Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters - including Jessica
Eagles - Desperado

and one of my favourites

Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Four - where they went a bit American folk rock

Can - Future Days
Hall and Oates - Abandoned Luncheonette
Peter Hammill - Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
Neu! - Neu! 2
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Klaus Schulze - Cyborg
Tangerine Dream - Atem

And so on...

Not sure I agree with the premise of the post as compared with 71 and 72 but 73 did include

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
The Who - Quadrophenia
Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters - including Jessica
Eagles - Desperado

and one of my favourites

Wishbone Ash - Wishbone Four - where they went a bit American folk rock
I saw Wishbone Ash at the Rainbow in 73. They were absolutely fantastic - one of those gigs where your face aches because you spend the entire night grinning. And you’ll be envious of this, I also saw Lowell and the boys there. What a man, what a band . . .

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
Herbie Hancock - Sextant & Headhunters
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place

Plus much of the stuff upthread!

Looking at my 1973 collection in Roon it doesn’t appear to be a year I play a lot of albums from.

Obviously Aladdin
Rory had both Blueprint and Tattoo and Horslips had the Tain.
Planxty first album.

Band on the Run is the only contemporaneous one I remember (apart from the Blue album) as my brother had it.

Can’t say it would be a stand out year for me but chacun à son goût.

Transformer was late 1972.

Edit: of course Burnin’ and Catch a Fire also.

.sjb

There was no Neil Young release in 1973, therefore as a year it's a total loss.

Time Fades Away?

AARGH! That's what I get for looking at a discography that has separate listings for studio albums and live albums.

So it's a pretty good year after all, even if Neil is still trying to pretend it never existed.

I saw Wishbone Ash at the Rainbow in 73. They were absolutely fantastic - one of those gigs where your face aches because you spend the entire night grinning. And you’ll be envious of this, I also saw Lowell and the boys there. What a man, what a band . . .

I have the Wishbone multi CD Vintage Years box set which has live shows from Southampton and Portsmouth from the 73 tour and they are great shows. I didn’t see them until 1976 by which time Ted Turner had left - so I never saw the original band live although I’ve seen the Andy Powell version many times - including once with Ted Turner back in the fold in a grotty hotel gig in Aberdeen . They lost a lot - like lead vocals, musical invention, and stage presence- when Martin Turner left.

And I envy you the Little Feat gig - I caught them post Lowell in Amsterdam and they were still pretty awesome - love the late Richie Hayward’s drumming.....

Countdown to Ecstasy
A Wizard, A True Star...

(those came to mind immediately, the ellipsis means ‘pausing for thought’.)

Oh yes...

Here Come The Warm Jets
Time Fades Away...

There was no Neil Young release in 1973, therefore as a year it's a total loss.

I like to creep in, make my point and creep out again, but occasionally I think perhaps I should cough or knock something over before closing the door.

advertisement

Back