advertisement

goldmund sacd player,

graystoke4

pfm Member
Hi all Goldmund has just released a new single box player, the Eidos reference sacd, for an eye watering £175,000, this as we all know is not a cheap brand, i myself have never heard any, or even seen any goldmund at shows, can a one box solution better DCS , Esoteric, with their multi box flagships, who knows, but at this price has the world gone truly mad, i think so,

If you look closely at the picture of it you will notice that it a computer generated artist impression. In other words, it does not exist.

What will happen, should someone stumps up the asking price, is that Goldmund will pay a fabricator £5,000 to build a shell that looks like the image and then they will screw a £50 Panasonic DVD player inside it.

Or a Toshiba dv300 like they did with their cd/dvd player. That said it does have an incredible spdif out, but Goldmund had nothing to do with it

If you look closely at the picture of it you will notice that it a computer generated artist impression. In other words, it does not exist.

What will happen, should someone stumps up the asking price, is that Goldmund will pay a fabricator £5,000 to build a shell that looks like the image and then they will screw a £50 Panasonic DVD player inside it.
From what I gather, that is pretty much what they do, and people criticise Linn, who actually do develop their own products from the ground up... and are cheap by comparison. £175,000 is beyond insane for any piece of HIFI, but especially one which contains an optical pickup, which has a finite lifespan, and will become obsolete... but then I don’t suppose anyone who is spending that kind of money is really thinking about longevity... it’ll be forgotten about when the next 24 Karat gold, diamond encrusted Carrot is dangled before them.

Remember Vertu phones? Crap phones, put in an expensive, garish, vulgar case and sold for Rolex money...

Last edited:
From what I gather, that is pretty much what they do, and people criticise Linn, who actually do develop their own products from the ground up... and are cheap by comparison. £175,000 is beyond insane for any piece of HIFI, but especially one which contains an optical pickup, which has a finite lifespan, and will become obsolete... but theni don’t suppose anyone who is spending that kind of money is really thinking about longevity... it’ll be forgotten about when the next 24 Karat gold, diamond encrusted Carrot is dangled before them.

Remember Vertu phones? Crap phones, put in an expensive, garish, vulgar case and sold of Rolex money...

I'd love to change the world but I dont know what to do... Ten years after.

In that case, the optical block is very likely a Sony unit. It has been on the Marantz and Denon universal players I’ve worked on. What they’ve probably bought from D&M is the whole transport, including the servo/main board that is used in one or more Marantz/Denon players. This is nothing new and high end manufacturers have been doing it since optical disc technology has been a thing... Some design and manufacture their own servo boards and loading mechs (Linn and Rega for a start) but they all buy optical blocks in because that’s the only feasible thing to do... unfortunately that does mean they’re at the mercy of the manufacturer of the optical block... and why it’s utterly nuts to spend £175k on a machine that uses one, no matter how wealthy or enthusiastic you are... it will be a doorstop some day, and probably sooner than you might think. The life cycle for DVD/Blu-ray mechs can be pretty short.

I quite like it (not the price) but for some reason it reminds me of my old Oracle Delphi Mk4 Turntable.

advertisement

Back