advertisement

Rega Kyte

That must be the demo pair; they've already got 30k on the odometer there.

[photo credit: Rega Research Ltd.]
module-2-kyte-3.jpg

Last edited:
Rear ported so does away with one of the key benefits of the old ones.

The Ara/Alya and R1/RS1 were all rear ported, and designed to work up near rear walls. I've used both the R1 and Alya right up near the rear walls in two rooms, both worked really well in that configuration.

Rega have obviously put quite some effort into the design of this enclosure.

technical_kyte_brace-01.png

I do hope to hear these at some point, and would love to compare them to my originals. Interesting and unexpected choice of materials for the cabinets too - Phenolic resin. From Rega...

"So why phenolic? Historically the accepted perception of a loudspeaker was a rectangular shaped wood veneered cabinet to compliment household wood furniture.The market has always demanded loudspeakers to be furniture and since the 90’s European manufacturers were left with the choice of Far Eastern manufacturing or inflated prices for home built wooden cabinets. However, recent times have seen the world change styling perceptions and there has been a wholesale investment in modern moulding shapes and the use of functional materials. Injection moulded plastic loudspeaker cabinets are not new but flexible moulded plastic has been reserved for the PA world or small desktop loudspeakers where convenience and portability were a priority over sonic performance. This more recent domestic acceptance of non-wood functional cabinet shapes has allowed Rega to achieve a long term dream. We have made a massive investment into injection moulding of stiff thermoset phenolic resin and collaborated with British company to achieve it. The natural stiffness of phenolic resin is a big advantage which has been further enhanced with ceramic plates and a complex internal cross brace structure. This unique cabinet constructions has been achieved at one third of the price of other British made quality loudspeakers."

Just a shade smaller than RX1, same tweeter it seems, maybe lower cost bas unit and or crossover ?.
Shape looks good, they even have a rear foot, RX1 looks a bit edgy in compare.

Bet they sound the business with the truly excellent little IO amp.
Hope System One keep intended price level, even Brexshit rule.

One of the first video description / review's I've seen of the new Kyte, in context of Rega's System1. SQ outlined about 4.50 in. Slightly bigger than I thought they'd be too...

Original kytes in the study mated to a nait2. Totally mint, with the new foams mentioned earlier they look like new.
This system was located in my work office pre-Corona. Music lovers would stop by and stay for half an hour, and an audiophile coworker->friend would just repeat "unbelievable, unbelievable".

I wonder if the next RX3/5 will based on the same tech and cabinet material...

My thoughts too
Both very expensive, tough competition in that price range.

Sure if they can make a "new" Ela floor stander, based on same enclosure princip, no idea if they ditch the side-woofer, transmissionline is probably a no-go due to manufacture cost.

Brilliant little speakers in the Rega tradition - fast and fun. Sold a couple of pairs during lockdown.

The System 1 from Rega isn't yet available. Hopefully it will be soon.

Your right Dave, they are, as most Rega speakers, fast, fun and easy driven.
Remind me sort of civilized Royds.
Maybe some people would wish frontgrill options, perhaps on drawing table?

I've read in manual, a metal base, making Kyte fit universal stands should be available, but couldn't find anything on Rega uk.
Maybe somebody know something ?

I've read in manual, a metal base, making Kyte fit universal stands should be available, but couldn't find anything on Rega uk.
Maybe somebody know something ?
Perhaps something to do with the inverted 'T-shaped bracket that is screwed on down at the back, there.

kyte_gallery_03.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back