advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

I think what you meant to say is he's still trying to decide if it offers 'any' benefit. Thats certainly my reading of his write up so far. What's he's doing is being fair in giving it every opportunity by trying it on all his decks and arms.

I have no desire to waste a day setting my tonearm up twice. Especially as the additional weight of the Houdini on my 12" arm will take me outside of the optimum arm resonance numbers for the compliance of my cart. If anything id like my cart to be 2 grams lighter.

I'm as likely to try one as I am to buy boutique cables.

I was referring to you listening to Mark's setup and at least experiencing the product which you seem so dead set against. As in giving us a fair go. After last what happened a few days ago I am still engaging with you so fair is fair.

I'll certainly hear it at Mark's, that's a given.

Fantastic. I like Mark and his approach and also am beginning to understand his and indeed your approach to this whole thing. You may well be correct in the Houdini not being quite a one size fit's all proposition. We already know and have acknowledged that most of the gain is at the lower end with the more budget systems. As with all audio there is a diminishing return as you get closer to the (technically at least) better end of the market. However you guys are the exception rather that the rule in technical setup. We are not a million miles apart despite the fact that we didn't start in a great light.

Mark has also noticed something quite interesting about the overall mass of our complete system that changes things. Something that we ourselves have missed.

Interesting times.

Yeh, just read that. Probably worth adding the weight change to the product literature.

Yeh, the reason it takes me so long to set up is that I'm a measure tracking force and azimuth with a two channel oscilloscope kind of geek.

Hmmm... I just had a marketing spiel based daja vu....:rolleyes:

We are learning about Houdini all the time. Please credit us with something.

Funk nearly did not survive covid so if we came in agressively that may serve to explain it in part. We still have something great,. even if not for every one. Houdini will do very many (a vast majority) a great service.

Yeh, just read that. Probably worth adding the weight change to the product literature.

Yeh, the reason it takes me so long to set up is that I'm a measure tracking force and azimuth with a two channel oscilloscope kind of geek.

Yeah that sounds like a sickness. Probably a more scientific method than "going as light as possible till the dust lifts the stylus and then going ever so slightly heavier".

Not what I do... Honest! ;)

I meant antiskate and azimuth, obs.

Full disclosure, I wouldn't know what you would with an oscilloscope and a TT. So tracking force didn't sound to me like an anomally. But I am willing to learn. I want to get more out of my TT.

Plug in your phono stage, play a suitable test track and measure the LR channels with the scope and adjust antiskate until they are level.

Plug in your phono stage, play a suitable test track and measure the LR channels with the scope and adjust antiskate until they are level.

Thanks Simon,

Sounds easy enough. Thanks. Waiting over on flat for test measurements with anticipation. I have heard the word meticulous associated with Mark quite a lot. It certainly seems to be the case. You've heard it by now now...

Do you have any comments to share or is it too soon?

Kind regards...

I’ve fitted an achromat, boing and Houdini to my RP-3/Exact deck gradually one by one, in that order, over the last 2 months and each product has made a marked improvement to my ears.

I actually think the Houdini had the biggest impact. I am absolutely delighted with what I have achieved with these upgrades.

Daniel, welcome to PFM. tell us a bit about yourself? where abouts are you based?

Did a local dealer recommend and fit these ‘upgrades’?

I’ve fitted an achromat, boing and Houdini to my RP-3/Exact deck gradually one by one, in that order, over the last 2 months and each product has made a marked improvement to my ears.

I actually think the Houdini had the biggest impact. I am absolutely delighted with what I have achieved with these upgrades.
Can you post some photos Daniel ?
I find it remarkable to spend almost as much money on these gizmos as your deck and cartridge cost

Interesting 'content' there for a first forum post.

Gotta hand it to you Funk boys and girls for not giving up the ghost.

Dear Bertie,

I can confirm that Daniel Webb not an official "Funk boy", but is one of those genuine customers that I was talking about months ago. One of those "word of mouth" type guys.

He bought Funk products and came here to tell you guys about it and that is all.

Houdini still comes with a money back offer if not satisfied. So far no one has returned a single one. Houdini is designed to work in any circa 10Hz impedance matched system and yes it does.

Hi Daniel thank you from the Funk team for your support.

Regards, Matt.

161636464_10223443659614927_9172579092252735747_n.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post some photos Daniel ?
I find it remarkable to spend almost as much money on these gizmos as your deck and cartridge cost

The Funk Houdini finds itself on almost every Rega and much much more exotic.

It solves the problems that every tonearm suffers to some degree or another. Resonance, especially at the lower end of the market.

And at the top. Regards, Matt.

IMG_6975.thumb.jpeg.bc14f7887d0d195949fff51f18e7bf56.jpeg

An Australian Houdini adopter. Clear Audio Universal tone arm.

Some technical information which explains why if you care to.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1618375665101/Impedance_Matched_Houdini_3.pdf

Last edited:

advertisement

Back