advertisement

SACD Renaissance?

OK, so Bluray players exist which will output DSD over HDMI (and that is the only way you will get a DSD signal out of them).

So... are there any decent DSD-capable DACs with HDMI input? I somehow doubt it...

Or HDMI splitter boxes which will give DSD (not DOP) output from a port other than HDMI? I doubt that even more.

the katalyst Linn KDSM will play DSD over hdmi I believe though only through the analogue outs not the exakt or digital outs.

If a high quality analog or hirez digital master is available, why wouldn't SACD capture that information? My understanding that music has been recorded in 24/96 PCM for some time. Can't a hirez PCM be encoded into a DSD SACD?

SACD remains as the only commercially available high resolution physical digital format.

The Steve Wilson mastered Jethro Tull boxes, for example, are not commercial?

Tim

I am not a Jethro Tull fan...what format are these "boxes" you refer to?

Latest one:

Original album and associated recordings newly remixed by Steven Wilson
Original album and five associated recordings mixed in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 Surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM
Full concert from the LA Sports Arena recorded in August 1980
Full LA Sports Arena concert mixed by Steven Wilson in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 Surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM
Flat transfer of the original LP master at 96/24 LPCM stereo
DVD of Slipstream video remixed by Steven Wilson in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 Surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM
Presented in a case-bound DVD book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Anderson, rare photographs and much more

Tim

advertisement

Back