advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Yes, crossover may take same power away. Looked it up, Sue probably ment conversion of the electrical power of the amplifier to the emitted (acoustical) sound power of the speaker and that number is 2 and less percent.
In comparison A class is not so bad.

I hope it makes you feel better. The same comment has already been made. I will leave you to it. A massive over reaction to a comment already made by others.
Only one of us has overreacted here. I simply suggested you take it up with Accuphase see what they said and you then went off on one and accused me of being touchy. I’ve simply defended myself against escalating irritability from you since then.

Yes, crossover may take same power away. Looked it up, Sue probably ment conversion of the electrical power of the amplifier to the emitted (acoustical) sound power of the speaker and that number is 2 and less percent.
Yes, exactly, thank you :)

Yes, interesting but running class a probably compounds the issue; two wrongs etc. I honestly don’t care, whatever floats ones boat. Personally couldn’t live with the heat generation in summer & the reported warm up time. Just seems rather wasteful? Anyway, not my bills.

Only one of us has overreacted here. I simply suggested you take it up with Accuphase see what they said and you then went off on one and accused me of being touchy. I’ve simply defended myself against escalating irritability from you since then.
It was merely an observation. Why would I take it up with Accuphase when I have no intention of buying any of their excellent products. I will add you to my ignore list as I do not wish to offend you any further, I suggest you do likewise. All the best, life is far too short.

Long list, is it?

You do realise that you putting me on your ignore list doesn’t mean I don’t see your posts, don’t you? It’s not like the Bugblatter beast of Traal.

100WRMS is 200W peak.
To achieve 200W peak into 8 Ohms we need 5A peak @ 40V
A class A push-pull amp needs a standing current of 2.5A to stay in class A up to 100W RMS.
If we assume the supply rails are nominally +/-55V to allow for supply sag and some headroom to achieve the fabled doubling of power for halving the load resistance then output stage dissipation will be approx 2 X 55 X 2.5 = 275W under no-signal conditions.

Conclusion 1: Accuphase's specification is entirely credible.

With a class A amp, any power supplied to the speaker is diverted from the output stage into the speaker (unlike class B where the power supply has to supply the increased power as the signal varies). So if you put 5W average into a speaker, the output stage dissipation will reduce from 275W to 270W.

If you put 5W average into a speaker that is 2% efficient, 98% of the power (4.9W) will be dissipated in the voice coil as heat and 2% (0.1W) will be converted into acoustic power.

Conclusion 2: The amp is the bit that wastes the most power. In the above example, it wastes about 300W (270W + the power for the other stages of the amp) and the speaker wastes 4.9W.

A friend of mine has just traded in all of his top of the range Naim kit and an MBL amp for an Esoteric N01XD DAC/streamer and a class A Esoteric F0A which he intends to pair with some Tannoy GRF's
Looking forward to hearing his thoughts when the gear arrives in June.
Mac

A friend of mine has just traded in all of his top of the range Naim kit and an MBL amp for an Esoteric N01XD DAC/streamer and a class A Esoteric F0A which he intends to pair with some Tannoy GRF's
Looking forward to hearing his thoughts when the gear arrives in June.
Mac
Be interested to hear about that system if you wouldn’t mind posting your impression, realistically be 2022 before I’m gonna be thinking of travelling to a dealer demo, Glasgow isn’t that far away where the nearest Esoteric shop. What is your mate replacing?

Be interested to hear about that system if you wouldn’t mind posting your impression, realistically be 2022 before I’m gonna be thinking of travelling to a dealer demo, Glasgow isn’t that far away where the nearest Esoteric shop. What is your mate replacing?

Sorry, don't know the specific models, only that the Naim is a 4 box system and the MBL is a class D intigrated.
I'll be sure to pass on his impressions.
Mac

advertisement

Back