advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

I'm not arguing with you, I see zero point in you harping on about Class A cos you know best and wanna be a keyboard warrior.
I'm not a keyboard warrior (again offensive from you IMO), I'm harping because people writing wrong technical things. I have explained the reason why I'm doing it. Since when is it bad to say something explained is wrong and since when is it good to say nothing if something explained is wrong? If so, we should close any technical related schools, universities and other education facilities because what I'm doing is happening there every day.

The thing is in hifi, many people (including me!) are talking about sound, that is a personal thing related on perception and taste. But if they claim things and try to verify what they are hearing with technical reasons, then, IMO, the reasons should be proof and solid. Because the people who design the stuff which these people are listening to make this based on technical knowledge and based on physic facts. To have two ears and a brain is nothing wich proofs anything. I don't see any necessity to proof why I like things. If I like some kind of wine, fine. If I would say I like it and it tastes so good because the winemaker uses some kind of special fertilizer and that grape is a special one than people like me will ask. Can you proof it, I see nothing wrong in this.

ATC quote that their amps are class AB, but quietly say that they are class A up to about 25w. My integrated certainly runs hot, perhaps the amps in your ATC speakers are the same?
I don’t know to be honest. They do have heat sinks & run warmer than my previous amplification. I only list at 75db max so I doubt I tax them too much.

Published specs clearly indicate pure class A operation of 100W into 8R, with actual peak output up to 190W into 8R which I take to be the Class AB mode headroom; 200W into 4R, 400W into 2R and 800W (music peaks) into 1R. If you think they're being a bit disingenuous, why not take it up with them and report back on what they say?
Calm down, amazing how touchy people get. I am invoking the spirit of Jez, without his technical knowledge I concede, but I seem to recall him being rather incredulous about amps putting out big class A numbers. 100w class A would require massive current & cooling which would need a massive enclosure.

I am sure it sounds amazing but I am just sceptical on the overall claim.

A quick Google suggests Class A is about 25% efficient, so idling would probably need to be nearer 400 watts. It is an incredibly wasteful technology whichever way you look at it.

A quick Google suggests Class A is about 25% efficient, so idling would probably need to be nearer 400 watts. It is an incredibly wasteful technology whichever way you look at it.
Accuphase quotes idling power consumption of >400 Watts. (IEC 60065)

And 25% efficient is only really wasteful if you leave them idling. If you want efficient, then go straight to Class D, do not pass Class AB, do not collect £200, etc... I happen to think Class A technology brings something to the musical party that Class AB or D struggles to match, so if 25% efficient is the way you do that job, then that's just how it is.

Lots of tech designs that are only 25% efficient. Solar panels, for example.

And if you're worried about efficiency, I believe loudspeakers are where most of the energy goes to waste, so lets work on that before we junk our Class A amps?

Calm down, amazing how touchy people get. I am invoking the spirit of Jez, without his technical knowledge I concede, but I seem to recall him being rather incredulous about amps putting out big class A numbers. 100w class A would require massive current & cooling which would need a massive enclosure.

I am sure it sounds amazing but I am just sceptical on the overall claim.
I don't think I'm being touchy, but what you said skirts the edges of the sort of thing that could come back to bite Tony, as publisher, on the backside, so I think you should cool it as even if it isn't libellous or actionable (the 'fair comment' defence would probably play) he certainly doesn't need the hassle.

Accuphase quotes idling power consumption of >400 Watts. (IEC 60065)

And 25% efficient is only really wasteful if you leave them idling. If you want efficient, then go straight to Class D, do not pass Class AB, do not collect £200, etc... I happen to think Class A technology brings something to the musical party that Class AB or D struggles to match, so if 25% efficient is the way you do that job, then that's just how it is.

Lots of tech designs that are only 25% efficient. Solar panels, for example.

And if you're worried about efficiency, I believe loudspeakers are where most of the energy goes to waste, so lets work on that before we junk our Class A amps?
I run active speakers so have that part covered thanks.

I don't think I'm being touchy, but what you said skirts the edges of the sort of thing that could come back to bite Tony, as publisher, on the backside, so I think you should cool it as even if it isn't libellous or actionable (the 'fair comment' defence would probably play) he certainly doesn't need the hassle.
You are not a moderator.

If Tony wants to pull my post he is welcome to do so.

3lBhHON.jpg
This topic was bumping along so nicely...

How it makes them noticable more efficient? They still have 100 and more watts inside.
I may be wrong but most of the losses are between the amp, the passive crossover & drive units. In an active speaker each drive unit has its own amp, I believe ATC claim an improved signal to noise ratio of circa 20dbs.

No, I'm not. It's a thankless task, but at your suggestion I've reported it as I'm not sure the mods are following this thread, so we'll let them decide.
I hope it makes you feel better. The same comment has already been made. I will leave you to it. A massive over reaction to a comment already made by others.

Thanks for all your kind advice folks.

I think I should try the E-800 first as "Sue" suggests, which is the most logical option for me. My E-650 does sound rather splendid this morning...
To come back to topic. I don't know which restrictions you people in the UK currently have but do you know when you are going or have the opportunity to listen to the E-800. I'm curious to know which one you like more and if the E-800 is worth the higher price. Someone in Germany has compared the E-650 and the E-800 and said the E-800 is in another league. But he finally bought a Pass Int 60 which he preferred with his Harbeth SHL5+40th.A.E..

advertisement

Back