advertisement

Hi Res - how do you know..

MBK

How do you know if an album which is for sale to download in 24bit/96khz was originally produced in that resolution? I ask because there are albums old and new which can be bought in hi res but if the original recording was 16/44 for example, then what's the point and how do you stopped getting ripped off? Is there an easy way to find out?

There are a lot of 'scams' out there. CD masters being transferred directly to vinyl, compressed 'rubbish' being sold on CD, never mind high res issues of the same masters. I think authoritative reviews are your friend here.

How do you know if an album which is for sale to download in 24bit/96khz was originally produced in that resolution? I ask because there are albums old and new which can be bought in hi res but if the original recording was 16/44 for example, then what's the point and how do you stopped getting ripped off? Is there an easy way to find out?

Hi Fi news & Music reviews tend to have some info on the recordings and if they are genuine or not. But that’s obviously a tiny subset as to what is out there.

Sadly I think that if you are not in the industry (say producing the content with regard to master files) then it’s a case of trusting what’s out there as it’s labelled...

Reactions: RoA

You've nailed it: what's the point?

16/44 has been the standard for so long I'd guess that the overwhelming majority of digital masters are in that format. If you think record companies are going to spend the money going back to original analogue masters (where they're even available) to reformat for a tiny percentage of the market, you are a very trusting person.

If it was an analogue recording it would be a total waste of file space to re-sample in Hi-Res anyway. 16/44 covers anything a analogue tape recorder can put out.

You've nailed it: what's the point?

16/44 has been the standard for so long I'd guess that the overwhelming majority of digital masters are in that format. If you think record companies are going to spend the money going back to original analogue masters (where they're even available) to reformat for a tiny percentage of the market, you are a very trusting person.
My cds sound much better than my qobuz hi res..but I do have a decent cd player

CD sounds really good, really don’t need it any better in reality. The quality of the original recording is far more important. Steely Dan sounds equally good on LP & CD to my ears.

CDs with analog recordings even used have tape hiss, but newer version of the same recording is hiss-free and probably also more compressed. AAD to ADD?

advertisement

Back