advertisement

iFi Power X with Raspberry Pi

Seanf

pfm Member
Has anybody tried the new iFi Power X power supply with a Raspberry Pi? I have read that it might be preferable to the original iFi as it offers improvements that would benefit the Pi but is it worth double the price of the original?

I once tried the original 12v version iFi with my DacMagic but actually preferred the supplied power supply so sent it back. I’m currently trying my out my Pi3B/HifiBerry DAC2 HD with a USB powerpack and it sounds pretty good. Just a bit of a pain when the power dies, so am thinking of trying the iFi again for the Pi. Question is, original or X?

I've not tried the X, but I used to use the iPower on my Pi before buying the Allo Nirvana. I much prefer the Nirvana and it also has the benefit of a ground switch.

I've not tried the X, but I used to use the iPower on my Pi before buying the Allo Nirvana. I much prefer the Nirvana and it also has the benefit of a ground switch.
The Shanti and Nirvana have both been on my radar for some time.
I’ve read all the info on the Allo web site, but do you mind me asking;
I appreciate the power limitations on the Nirvana (5v, 2.85amp?) but with its 2 cables, it is “either/or” or can you draw current from both cables? I am no expert when I read things such as “single rail” - sorry!
Did you buy your Nirvana post brexit? Reason for asking is that I’m concerned about postage/VAT charges if I buy one from Allo (which seems to be the only option).
Thanks.

I've just been searching for this info too. Apparently, it is either/or, not both. I've just found it available for €71.

I think I'll go for it.
Thanks for the heads up.
Do you mind me asking where you’re buying from and is the price “all in”?
Thanks

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a direct link but it's from Max2Play, which is based in Germany, as am I. Base price is €65 plus 5.99 shipping within Germany. They offer free postage for orders over €100. I assume you are in UK though, so not sure what the new rules are with shipping from EU these days.

Sean

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a direct link but it's from Max2Play, which is based in Germany, as am I. Base price is €65 plus 5.99 shipping within Germany. They offer free postage for orders over €100. I assume you are in UK though, so not sure what the new rules are with shipping from EU these days.

Sean
Thanks Sean
Glad you’re sorted & hope you get brilliant results.
from what I’ve read, there seems to be some confusion over here (UK) as to what should be and what is actually taking place. I went on to the website of a European domiciled supplier recently and was shocked at the postage costs to the UK - this was for a small accessory. added to that, we seem to be getting confused stories as to where VAT is/should be charged, handling fees, etc.
I’m not penny pinching, but for now I’ve concluded the best way of not getting hit with extortionate postage or unexpected charges is to not import from the EU (sadly).
this is just my personal opinion and others may disagree.
Kind regards

The Shanti and Nirvana have both been on my radar for some time.
I’ve read all the info on the Allo web site, but do you mind me asking;
I appreciate the power limitations on the Nirvana (5v, 2.85amp?) but with its 2 cables, it is “either/or” or can you draw current from both cables? I am no expert when I read things such as “single rail” - sorry!
Did you buy your Nirvana post brexit? Reason for asking is that I’m concerned about postage/VAT charges if I buy one from Allo (which seems to be the only option).
Thanks.

I can confirm you are able to power 2 items with the Nirvana using the fixed cable and another from the USB port. I power my Pi/Allo Boss separately using the Nirvana in this way.

Everywhere you read that this is not possible, it most definitely is.

Got the old iFi for my various Rpi based streamers. All sorts of problems with it (dropouts/reboots). It sits in the drawer now - I should really get it out and try again.

I can confirm you are able to power 2 items with the Nirvana using the fixed cable and another from the USB port. I power my Pi/Allo Boss separately using the Nirvana in this way.

Everywhere you read that this is not possible, it most definitely is.
thank you for this. Really helpful.
If I could only get clear in my mind what sort of excess charges I’m facing, I would get on and buy one straight away.

thank you for this. Really helpful.
If I could only get clear in my mind what sort of excess charges I’m facing, I would get on and buy one straight away.
It’s a mess, aiui say the Nirvana is £60, the seller is supposed to collect £12 UK VAT on top and pay that sum to the UK Gov via registering with HMRC to trade with UK post Brexit. Under £135 no customs duty. Courier fees vary, RM is £8, DHL is 2.5%. That info may be out of date or inaccurate, sure someone will correct me if so. So at a guess that £60 costs you £80 via RM or £74 via DHL.

I attempted to buy an RME unit yesterday from a German distributor with a UK oriented webpage.
Whether this is typical or not I don't know, but basically prices were listed as ex VAT but free shipping above a certain threshold - so I expected 20% on top of the £499 list price (which was above the threshold).

However - on reading the fine print re. shipping to the UK elsewhere on their site it transpired there would also be a further 2.5% import charge on top of that - and an additional £11 'handling fee'
These additional costs together with the VAT would be collected on delivery by the courier.

Needless to say, I cancelled the order.

Wow, that was a very quick delivery - Nirvana has arrived already! I've got it running and it is definitely an improvement on the basic Pi power I was using before. Hard to describe exactly how but on the track I'm listening to right now (Raplh Towner, Anthem, title track) it kind of sounds like the microphone is closer to the guitar and picking up more. Not the best description I suppose but I think that sums it up!

Definitely a keeper.

Thanks to @Bourneendboy for pointing me in this direction, I was so close to ordering an iFi X.

Sean

full image upload
Been running the battery pack mentioned earlier for six hours for the first time. It would be silly to comment on SQ compared to the vanilla Pi wallplug but I have to say it’s been a very agreeable afternoon/evening and leave it at that for the present. Just like the Mojo, it just suddenly stops without warning, ie, no drop in SQ.

advertisement

Back