advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Wonder how this works when a repair has to be done on an EU item ?

The same as it has been for many, many years with goods outside the EU (which now includes the UK). There is a special procedure for temporary importation of goods for this and associated other reasons. It's merely a matter of knowing the procedure and documentation required; a load of hassle though. If you get it wrong, it can take some while and expense to sort out.

It really is personal
Just listen & look

for me personally

Build quality . Luxman / Accuphase. Then Yamaha

Looks. Yamaha/ Luxman. Then Accuphase

VFM. Yamaha. Luxman. Accuphase

ur money ur choice

All three are excellent

Exactly. I agree. Listening is about that 'synergy' bit but must include your room. Dealer demos are not good enough at this money, so I'd say forget it until coronastuff is over then get all 3 at home, listen and buy one.

Meanwhile the thread itself has been good.

I was wondering, or what happens when someone is moving house? Surely they don't have to pay VAT (again most likely) on stuff they already own? Or what about students studying abroad and then returning to the UK ?

Again, all these scenarios are well practiced and regulations in place, if you do some research. These have always applied to destinations outside the EU, which now includes the UK. People are beginning to realise just what an impact leaving the EU has had/will have, on all sorts of things.

Again, all these scenarios are well practiced and regulations in place, if you do some research. These have always applied to destinations outside the EU, which now includes the UK. People are beginning to realise just what an impact leaving the EU has had/will have, on all sorts of things.
Based in Ireland, I have over the years purchased various kit from the UK. Sad to think those days are over.

I'm not having this argument with you again. :rolleyes:
I think he’s correct though. My L590AX-II is 30w class A but apparently can go beyond that to about 90w in A/B. Academic to me as I rarely venture beyond the first watt into my 93dB Tannoys!

Academic perhaps, but whether an amplifier is "pure" class A or not, if its specified class A output is delivered in class A, then it is a class A. If it switches to class AB beyond that, that's bonus headroom. I'd rather have an "impure" class A amp that does this, than one that clips beyond its rated class A output.

I expect the Lux 590 to be operating in class A up to 30WPC into 8-ohms. All the non-switching benefits will be realised if this output level is not exceeded. So to all intents and purposes, the 590 is a class A amp at its rated output, if not its maximum output.

Couldn't you use that rationale to call any class AB amp class A? I guess some manufacturers already do this, and it seems like false advertising.

I think the point is that a decent amount of power needs to be available in class A to make the claim for class A operation meaningful. Thirty’s plenty (it apparently does 60w class A into 4 ohms but let’s not go there). Some say that’s very clever, but all we know is that it sounds bloody great!

Couldn't you use that rationale to call any class AB amp class A? I guess some manufacturers already do this, and it seems like false advertising.
Some do, some don't. Which is why the rated class-A output is relevant, as most class-A amps will switch to class-AB operation at maximum output. I'm reminded of my Musical Fidelity A-100. There is no way that amp produces 50WPC in class A given its minimal heatsinking. I suspect it's class A for maybe the first 10W, and class AB beyond that.

Academic perhaps, but whether an amplifier is "pure" class A or not, if its specified class A output is delivered in class A, then it is a class A. If it switches to class AB beyond that, that's bonus headroom. I'd rather have an "impure" class A amp that does this, than one that clips beyond its rated class A output.

I expect the Lux 590 to be operating in class A up to 30WPC into 8-ohms. All the non-switching benefits will be realised if this output level is not exceeded. So to all intents and purposes, the 590 is a class A amp at its rated output, if not its maximum output.

No way a 62lbs. stereo integrated amp is 30w Class A. What is pure Class A is a 25w 65lbs. mono Mark Levinson amplifier.

No way a 62lbs. stereo integrated amp is 30w Class A. What is pure Class A is a 25w 65lbs. mono Mark Levinson amplifier.
I don't think you can use weight as a reliable indicator. Mark Levinson tends to be overbuilt.

Most of the Pass DIY amps from DiyAudio are class A 25W, 2 channel designs. I built the F5 with a 500VA transformer in a 4U all aluminum chassis and it wasn't close to 65 lb.

It's going to depend a lot on the transformer VA and chassis design. I'd agree there's probably a minimum weight for 25w class A based on dissipation and transformer requirement, but I don't think it's near the value you have given as an example.

It is so easy: Class A amplifier = full class A the whole time otherwise it is class AB because it switches into B. It is totally equal when this will happen, or what people prefer. As long as it switches into class B it is AB.

Manufactures who call their amps class A amps if hey have a class B part are bullshitting the customers for marketing reasons. Every designer knows that an amplifier with class B is a class AB amplifier and it is totally irrelevant if the class A part is very high or very low.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally fine with designs like the Luxman 590 AXII, a Accuphasse E 600 or a Pass Int 60. I'd love to own one of thees, really! I bet they sound absolutely fabulous but it don't like that manufacturer use the term class A without mentioning that they have a big class B part too.

You can read it in several posts from different customers over and over again in the whole web. "My amplifier is powerful enough, it can drive low sensitiv speakers only with 30 watts". No it is not! Your amplifier has way more power but because of marketing BS you think you have a real class A amplifier wich only has 30 watts.

Last edited:
It’s totally irrelevant to me, the amp either sounds good or it doesn’t.
It is, but people claim "it is because it is a class A amplifier" and then the discussion starts because it isn't. IMO (including what I'm writing) if someone writes things that are technically wrong, the claim has to be corrected because otherwise the wrong information is repeated and manifest and that can't be the goal. Hifi still is and always will be technical based.

advertisement

Back