advertisement

White noise problem

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
Given an old pair of speakers, Topping Amp and an Audio Alchemy Dac-in-the-box to my son to connect to his newish Samsung TV using an optical cable. All he gets is white noise.

He seems to have connected all the wires properly and set the TV to Optical output, but still just white noise that will go up and down in volume when volume on amp turned up or down

Any suggestions?

It could the DAC isn't locking on. There should a setting on the TV somewhere where you can check the format it's outputting at the digital output. It has to be PCM.

Although I don't understand why the volume would track in this case.

As suggested above, does the tv have digital output format in its menu settings as an option? It needs to be set to PCM if so. Other than that, are there any other devices with optical out that can be used to test that the setup actually works?

Two lights come on, on the dac, one for power and I presume the other is for a signal?
I believe so - which would rule out the optical cable being faulty in any way.
I use the optical out of my tv (which is probably around 10 years old) into a Node 2i and it's true you need to make sure that it's set to PCM.

Model number of TV would help.

Try setting TV to digital audio output as PCM and the sound output to the TV speakers, unplug optical cable, plug back in.

I think Sammy outputs at 48kHz, those old AA DACs go up to 50kHz so that should not matter. I don’t think they had a manual switch for CoAx or Toslink, it should auto detect.

Model number of TV would help.

Try setting TV to digital audio output as PCM and the sound output to the TV speakers, unplug optical cable, plug back in.

I think Sammy outputs at 48kHz, those old AA DACs go up to 50kHz so that should not matter. I don’t think they had a manual switch for CoAx or Toslink, it should auto detect.
That’s what I thought. It’s a Samsung 43 Inch UE43TU7000KXXU Smart 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR

Now Sorted! Thanks to all you wonderful people. Thanks to @Amber Audio we finally managed to find the option for selecting PCM. Had to reset all the sound options to make the PCM option appear in the drop down box, it reappeared like magic and my boy now has sound!

Many thanks everyone

advertisement

Back