advertisement

Audio Technica AT-VM95ML - Anyone used on a Technics?

Technics supply the 2M Red as standard on one of their decks I believe but funnily enough it was one of the main offenders IGD-wise when I was talking Techies a few years ago with friends.
Yes, when I mentioned my Red on the Audioshite FB group, the first thing I was asked was if I suffered from IGD. I'll have to re-install it and check. I didn't think it was a problem at the time tbh.

Having received one of the (crazy cheap) AT headshells this morning, I've re-installed the Red. It sounds incredibly good on a range of material tbh. No evidence of IGS whatsoever.

I think based on this I should invest in a Blue for the shitsngigs anyway.

Mood can be a major factor, couple days ago in the evening I played an LP in the office and it sounded ace, had to wheel the chair back into the exact sweet spot, next day same LP in the afternoon when I finally got a lull to kick back and spin some tunes it sounded meh, been problems at client sites and staff that morning, nothing else had changed.

Have been rotating a few carts on the Techy during lockdown, the ML is one of the finds, that and the 33PTG. A few have underwhelmed, the Hana EL was one surprisingly, sounds too “safe” a fine enough all rounder but I’m not hearing what the reviewers heard.
I often think it's so funny how we "audiophiles" get so hung up about technical factors, mains supplies, cables, VTA, etc, when mood plays such a key role.

On that note, the Techie and AT-VM95ML is singling this morning - superb "control" :)

Having received one of the (crazy cheap) AT headshells this morning, I've re-installed the Red. It sounds incredibly good on a range of material tbh. No evidence of IGS whatsoever.

I think based on this I should invest in a Blue for the shitsngigs anyway.
I have owned both and the Bronze. I think the Blue is the sweet spot in the range and works superbly on the Technics arm.

I have owned both and the Bronze. I think the Blue is the sweet spot in the range and works superbly on the Technics arm.
I think a Blue is definitely on the way very soon. However, I won't be able to resist a VM95ML before long.

Given the amount of vinyl I realistically listen to these days, my days of costly MCs (and associated aspiration) are over in all probability.

Given the amount of vinyl I realistically listen to these days, my days of costly MCs (and associated aspiration) are over in all probability.
Same for me. I have an Ania on my Rega and it sounds lovely but I can't say I prefer it to say a Goldring E3 or the AT-VM95ML on my Techie. In fact, I'd say the Rega/Ania sounds very analytical and detailed in a digital sort of way whereas the Techie set up has a warmer analogue sound which is what I'm looking for - I want my vinyl to sound different to my digital.

My friend has a modest spec LP12 with a Ortofon Red and one evening when I brought my records over it did exhibit some signs of IGD where I had none on my At440 stylus on my own deck, but the most noticable thing for me is the difference with the AT house wine sound vs something like a Ortofon.

Even back in my teenage years, I had a budget Ortofon cart and a AT95E for my Nad TT, the former sounded more ‘together’ especially in the midrange where as the AT95 of the time was flatter tonally but more peppy and more meat in the bass dept.

Just had my AT-VM95ML delivered for my GR. I got the version already bolted to a headshell and, 3 sides in, all I can say is...this is a bargain.

I know, I know, I was going to get a blue first, but I think I'm glad I didn't. It really does handle surface noise well (in a way my ageing ESCo 103 does not) and and lack of detail/warmth in comparison is very marginal. I think they have the balance just right here and into my system (JVC AX-Z1010TN/Kef 104.2) it seems a good match. Deffo my "daily" for the foreseeable.

Actually, I think this is as good as vinyl needs to be for me going forward.

Just had my AT-VM95ML delivered for my GR. I got the version already bolted to a headshell and, 3 sides in, all I can say is...this is a bargain.

I know, I know, I was going to get a blue first, but I think I'm glad I didn't. It really does handle surface noise well (in a way my ageing ESCo 103 does not) and and lack of detail/warmth in comparison is very marginal. I think they have the balance just right here and into my system (JVC AX-Z1010TN/Kef 104.2) it seems a good match. Deffo my "daily" for the foreseeable.

Actually, I think this is as good as vinyl needs to be for me going forward.
Reckon you made a good choice, I had a 2M Red and did consider swapping the stylus to a Blue which was about the same price as the 95ML. Did a few head to heads with the 2M Red and a few carts I have including the 95E and decided to go with the AT ML cart. Sounds a nice system you’ve put together, seen many complimentary posts about that JVC.

advertisement

Back