advertisement

Cambridge launches EVO

Something like that would appeal as for a kitchen or bedroom but it's quite pricey for that (my kitchen currently has a Cambridge Audio One which is pretty decent for that sort of use and had the advantage of being very cheap). I'm not yet ready for an all-in one type unit for my main system yet. Even the cheaper 75W version costs more than I paid in total for the Krell integrated, Audiolab CD transport, Cambridge Audio Streamer and SimAudio DAC that I use in my main system and I suspect it won't outperform those - although it'd definitely reduce the box count (which is already hugely down from when I used a Naim system for that).

I suspect I'm very much not the target for that sort of kit though!

I think it looks absolutely brilliant. There is a lot to like about this and I really hope they sell bucketloads. Richer Sounds will be a great outlet for them - folks will see them as they are buying their TV's and think hmmmm....

Just a side bet with myself that we will NOT see a review of it in HiFi News & RR ....? Almost too cheap for them these days.

Will this be a RS exclusive?

Almost a shame if so. That would look good in JL and some upmarket stores.

Shame it doesn’t have a transport built in and ripping facilities. It would then be a great all in one.

Shame it doesn’t have a transport built in and ripping facilities. It would then be a great all in one.
There’s a CD Transport coming but no ripping, Novafidelty have that swiss army knife type unit sorted if that’s what someone is after.

Details of the matching Evo-s speakers are sparse but it looks like Cambridge have forgone an ultra modern look with a more traditional broader front and limited depth. Narrow and deep seems all the rage nowadays.

The cabinet also looks like Alu, at least part of it of what I can see and the main driver could be paper?

Maybe they actually listened to it.

I think they have really done a brilliant job with this, it ticks a lot of boxes and looks fabulous, defo competes with NAD, Linn, Naim and Lyngdorfs take on an all in one.

Nice device.
Throw out the power amplifiers and use the space gained with a decent top-loaded CD / SACD player. That would be in my eyes THE streaming / DAC / pre solution for active speakers.

Nice device.
Throw out the power amplifiers and use the space gained with a decent top-loaded CD / SACD player. That would be in my eyes THE streaming / DAC / pre solution for active speakers.
Actives would be heavy, more expensive and deeper plus need mains power - guessing not the market Cambridge are after with this range, those speakers will end up on shelves/in book cases I reckon.

I like the design, you seldom see wood sides these days
Cool CD drive
Speakers looks a bit like Guru.
Popular price structure
Never really liked the sterile sound coming from Cambridge gear, hope they're better now.

I must admit, I do like this new trend for 'flush' displays if that's what they're called. The new Linn KDS is the same style

I like the design, you seldom see wood sides these days
Cool CD drive
Speakers looks a bit like Guru.
Popular price structure
Never really liked the sterile sound coming from Cambridge gear, hope they're better now.

Yes, they really never managed to shake that image of a clinical sound off. I am not entirely certain why as some of their later upmarket products reviewed well and I heard the big Pre/Power. Mind, having 'Edge' in the name probably doesn't help ... .

These Evo components use Hypex Ncore modules so should at the very least sound good. Had the 150 used the new Purify version it would have massively undercut Nad's Master Series. (Perhaps they do?)

Perhaps they missed a trick by not offering the speakers with the same choice of side panel cover?

Looks good, maybe a bit too pricey, especially for cambridge audio.

And like nad will it have problems with its screen.

advertisement

Back