advertisement

Radio3 Fm versus Streaming

Being also a resident of Sussex but, alas, the wrong side of the hill (!), I'm very jealous of your ability to get both R3 and France Musique on FM.
I live near Alexander Park...who needs radio When you can walk amongst the trees...switch off the damn hifi...bird song..a gentle breeze rustling the leaves..drunk people lolling around! The park is much better than a pre amp...plus lots of benches to sit..and ruminate! Toilets too and a cafe! Lol

Thanks Jim. I have Win 10 upstairs and was wondering if I could access radio on it and simply have a long I/C down to my pre. Alternatively commandeer my wife's laptop (downstairs) and run a shorter I/C from that. Mind you, there aren't many hours in the day when she's not using it.

A laptop would probably be better for a test as you can move it to somewhere convenient. However even an ancient machine should work as the tech side of what I suggested was sorted out years ago.

Plus: I tend to fetch the files, then play them later. This means you can transfer the file from one machine to another. Either on a memory stick/card or use a NAS if you have one.

That said, I use the machine in the dining room to fetch most iplayer files. Its DAC is cabled to the Armstrong 626 in the opposite corner by the kitchen door. It then drives some speakers in both rooms. The living room has another machine for playing music files and AV over the system there. That needs to be a faster machine because of the video. But almost any old machine would drive the dining+kitchen setup.

Another trick is if you have a personal player. You can then put files onto that, and connect its output to a system wherever it is convenient. If it can play the aac files then you're away. :)

I
The purist will note that the 48 kHz BBC sampling rate gets resampled to 44.1 kHz because of the way Airplay (v1) works.

I tend to associate that with a device being given mp3 rather than aac. Although many old computers tended to munge the sample rate because of the blanket use of a poorly set 'sound mixer'. Modern devices really should *not* do this as it is just needlessly daft.

I tend to associate that with a device being given mp3 rather than aac. Although many old computers tended to munge the sample rate because of the blanket use of a poorly set 'sound mixer'. Modern devices really should *not* do this as it is just needlessly daft.
In this case (AIUI) the BBC's 320 kbit/s AAC stream decodes into 48 kHz sampling rate as normal. However, the V1 Airplay software re-samples that to 44.1 kHz because that is the maximum rate the protocol supports by design for a "remote device". And a maximum depth of 16 bits, again by design.

In this case (AIUI) the BBC's 320 kbit/s AAC stream decodes into 48 kHz sampling rate as normal. However, the V1 Airplay software re-samples that to 44.1 kHz because that is the maximum rate the protocol supports by design for a "remote device". And a maximum depth of 16 bits, again by design.

Seems a pretty limited spec for use in any Hi-Fi application. i.e. poor by design, or simply stone-age. However all my home connections are via even more old fashoned wires (or for some AV, optical) ... which seem to have a higher spec than the 'Airplay'.

Maybe an upgrade to coco tins and a bit of string would be wise. ;->

On the radio vibe..I used at work my ipad linked to my schiit eitr then onto dac magic into apart champ amp and leema xeros and radio fip sounds fab as does bbc sounds! ( usually my ipad says can't power device etc, but it seems to like the eitr! Using camera adapter thingy )

advertisement

Back