advertisement

Rega RP10/Aphelion or P10/Apheta3

Would you buy Rega RP10/Aphelion or P10/Apheta3

• Total voters
Ah, I didn't note that part, assumed a new cart.

I mean you could win a watch but I always assume the worst for used carts. I also wouldn't want to buy a used cartridge that I couldn't afford to replace once it was worn out. I've been offered a loan of hi-end carts before and I turned it down. If you really liked the cart it would be depressing going backwards from it.

My P10 has arrived today, so will set it up and listen over the weekend. Hopefully I’ve made the right choice!

Sadly I’ve also moved this week, so the room I had perfectly set up to my liking is no more. The new living room has very high ceiling, wooden floors, bay window with lots of glass, glass wall on the other side... nightmare for acoustics, in other words!

My P10 has arrived today, so will set it up and listen over the weekend. Hopefully I’ve made the right choice!

Sadly I’ve also moved this week, so the room I had perfectly set up to my liking is no more. The new living room has very high ceiling, wooden floors, bay window with lots of glass, glass wall on the other side... nightmare for acoustics, in other words!

Sounds like it's curtains for you then!

Sounds like a really nice place to sit and enjoy music though!

I wonder if Rega will release a turntable to supersede the P10 or if the level of the P10 will remain the same in the long term. Seems like they revamp the line every few years but perhaps they’re done.

Seems like they revamp the line every few years but perhaps they’re done.

Do they? I'm not sure that they update their kit more than other manufacturers do.

If they do it's a good thing? They're not sitting back just churning out the same thing year after year. They're clearly pushing the performance as much as they can.

There was some talk of a P12 being produced, but not read any more about that. It would make sense that there are still more lessons to trickle down from the Naiad - to make the p10 come in around £4K (from the Naiad’s £35k) they would have had to change a lot of materials. The P12 could use costlier, better materials.

I do find it a bit annoying that I’ve now got products from Rega bought over five years that have three different styles of cases. But the current design is by the most stylish, so glad they updated from the horrible ‘NowTV-set top-box’ style of the last few years.

I do find it a bit annoying that I’ve now got products from Rega bought over five years that have three different styles of cases.

Agree. When I bought the Aria I deliberately looked for a first-gen one as the second gen looked crap, as you said. They're too fond of plastic and a lot of their implementations of it look cheap. Lots of people make plastic MM cartridges but only Rega's look like half chewed Jelly Babies!

Last edited:
I agree with the state about different box designs. I also like the latest design and wondered if a future release of CD player to match and go with the Aethos integrated.

I think the face plate of my P9’s power supply is plastic but it’s not worried me.

I wonder if Rega will release a turntable to supersede the P10 or if the level of the P10 will remain the same in the long term. Seems like they revamp the line every few years but perhaps they’re done.
They have - Naiad.

I think the face plate of my P9’s power supply is plastic but it’s not worried me.

I wonder if later versions (of the P9) had the machined aluminium face panel found on the Ios and the Saturn.

There is some plastic on the Naiad, maybe that's a reason not to buy it.

It's not the use of plastic in itself that bothers my, it's the way they use it at times.

Don't get me wrong, they've done so many brilliant things, including clever use of plastics, but some of the stylistic and ergonomic choices baffle me. There often seems to be little coherence and consistency to their design. As if no one at the factory has the job of overseeing what the products look like. It goes right back to the early days when they used different colours for their logo. You'd see Planars with red, green, white, black logos on them. They seem to have settled on red but you still get red logos on the boxes and white on the decks. Personally, I would've got with the green.

Then you've got multiple styles of product within the same product range. You bought an Aria phono stage to go with your Elicit amp and they don't match. And the second incarnation of the Aria/Brio, who passed that?? Cheap set-top box was a perfect description. It's bad enough that an £800 phono stage has a plastic fascia but ok, we get the keeping costs down philosophy but damn, did it need to look that plasticy?

Little details like the fact that the buttons on the Aria, DAC etc are not in line horizontally, or equidistant actually. Or the tight loading aperture on the Saturn-R/Apollo-R with unnecessarily small finger indents on the disk tray, which are going to make these machines extremely difficult if not impossible for someone with large hands or limited dexterity to use.

Like I said, don't get me wrong, still my favorite Hi-Fi company. Nobody's perfect and the great stuff they do vastly outweighs the bad but they really could do with employing someone who knows about this stuff who can say 'Listen guys, that looks crap. That is hard to use.' etc. Fair enough if a compromise has been used to keep the cost down but it's frustrating when a poor choice looks completely unnecessary.

Reactions: jay
They have - Naiad.
By supersede I meant the replacement for the P10, just as the P10 replaced the RP10. Similar cost but with innovative performance improvements. Someone mentioned a P12, so perhaps the P10 will be around for many years...

I was thinking about going for a P8 as prt of my simplification process but the exposed foam & lack of proper lid put me right off.

Good company though who make great products at an affordable price (in the main).

I was thinking about going for a P8 as prt of my simplification process but the exposed foam & lack of proper lid put me right off.

Good company though who make great products at an affordable price (in the main).
I think they Rega chose not to laminate over the foam so as to keep the weight down.

advertisement

Back