advertisement

LP12 Karousel Upgrade

Thanks Mr Pig will definately post on how it sounds....the most expensive bearing I have brought in my life.... :D

Having mine fitted shortly and quite excited.Only downside I will be without my LP12 for a couple of weeks :( but do have a Technics 1210 to fall back on so not all bad.
Loved my LP12 before so really looking forward to getting it back and going threw the racks !
Couple of weeks!! What are they doing to it?

^^^
Matfff
They are also fitting a Majik sub chassis and waiting on parts to arrive.....All good things come to those who wait !

About 30 years ago I went active into isobariks with a top spec (at the time) LP12. Since then I have upgraded a number of times and the music has improved, better rhythm, better timing, more impact and dynamics.

But in 30 years I can’t say it’s got any clearer. I could hear everything that was there , or so I thought.

Just listening to She on the Sundays ‘static and silence’ and there are instruments playing now that I’ve never heard before.

Karousel really is a game changer

About 30 years ago I went active into isobariks with a top spec (at the time) LP12. Since then I have upgraded a number of times and the music has improved, better rhythm, better timing, more impact and dynamics.

But in 30 years I can’t say it’s got any clearer. I could hear everything that was there , or so I thought.

Just listening to She on the Sundays ‘static and silence’ and there are instruments playing now that I’ve never heard before.

Karousel really is a game changer
I’m assuming you don’t literally mean that you hadn’t heard these instruments before? I mean just how how bad could your LP12 be if it wasn’t playing the music?;)

Can you break it down a bit more? What are you hearing about these instruments now that you couldn’t decipher previously?

It’s related to the dropping of the noise floor, stuff that was previously covered up.

I have this particular recording digitally also but the digital despite its technically superior snr is even more veiled.

Considering the materials and manufacturing costs, the Karousel looks fairly expensive.
Maybe so, but like all things hifi, I judge its value by how it sounds. It's worth every dollar I paid for mine.

Maybe so, but like all things hifi, I judge its value by how it sounds. It's worth every dollar I paid for mine.

I'm not disagreeing. If I had an LP12 I might well buy one too. I bought the Cirkus literally weeks after it came out. Doesn't mean it's not expensive for what it is in purely material terms.

I'm not disagreeing. If I had an LP12 I might well buy one too. I bought the Cirkus literally weeks after it came out. Doesn't mean it's not expensive for what it is in purely material terms.
It is, I think the same can be said for the whole LP12... but it’s where I’ve come back to, and I’m not regretting it at all.

You said you did on post #33. Seven bearings you said as used in their 6 cylinder engines.

I didn't mention 6 cylinder engines. It was wheel bearings but really, who cares?

Look at Linn's pricing relative to other Hi-Fi manufacturers never mind car makers. How much is the RB3000? How much is the Ekos SE? How much is Linn's best LP12 power supply compared to...an entire P10? Rega lid, £50. Linn lid, £150. They charge you £85 for a fekin cardboard box!

I really don't know where you want to go with this but if the notion is to convince me that Linn kit is reasonably priced in material terms I'd forget it if I were you.

advertisement

Back