advertisement

Michael Fremer's Music Room Tour

"Rack"?? As in singular?

Depending on how counted, there's dozens or hundreds of racks behind his listening seat. The room extends well behind his seat much further than it does in front of it, and his Wilsons, although out from the wall a bit, aren't that far out. He sits in a kind of mid-field environment, although (from memory there's likely at least 8 ft. from the seat to each speaker (that's from memory, but it could be up to 10 ft.).

No, it doesn't create a problem for the imaging. It's images like a sonofabitch, but that's not the focus of the system. It's not like some giant Martin Logan system where sh*t has to float around in all directions but there's no musicality. It's got a great sense of stage, both in width and depth (when the recording provides it), it's very even-handed, dynamic as all hell, fast, taught, transportive, smooth and enjoyable. It's definitely one of the better systems I've ever heard and in it's own, really expensive way, understated (if that makes sense). IT doesn't try to call out to itself.
I was referring to the floor-to-ceiling rack of vinyl that the back of his listening seat is almost touching. I'd expect this to act like a massive reflective headrest causing very early reflections.

Perhaps this diagram is more accessible:

6ZxMgMt.png

Hi Tuga,

Um, no. I wasn't confused. I'm aware of the differences between dipole, bipole, omni, and direct radiating.

When I listen to ML's, however, I feel that they can in certain systems and setups do amazing imaging tricks, which is what I was referring to. That's how they *sound*, regardless of measurements or design intent.

I also often quickly tire of them after the novelty has worn off.

And also, regardless of measurements, fremer's system sounds excellent.

I was referring to the floor-to-ceiling rack of vinyl that the back of his listening seat is almost touching. I'd expect this to act like a massive reflective headrest causing very early reflections.

Perhaps it's the camera angle but when I was there you could walk clear around the listening chair. There was I think likely 2-3 ft. behind the listening chair. But again, that rack is one of many and the room falls back at least 20' behind that, a bit cavernous, or labrynthine.

It was a stonking good system.

Hi Tuga,

Um, no. I wasn't confused. I'm aware of the differences between dipole, bipole, omni, and direct radiating.

When I listen to ML's, however, I feel that they can in certain systems and setups do amazing imaging tricks, which is what I was referring to. That's how they *sound*, regardless of measurements or design intent.

I also often quickly tire of them after the novelty has worn off.

And also, regardless of measurements, fremer's system sounds excellent.

Have you listened to his system (in his room)?

The British Audiophile seems to get a lot of love on this forum, but I've got to agree with the quote above; his YouTube videos could be used to cure insomnia.

You might not agree with what people like Fremer and Guttenberg have to say, but at least they're interesting to listen to.
I like both, but the British Audiophile gives you much better insight into the product with the way he compares products around the same price bracket, I think he is a fresh breath of air and I wish him well.

Yes. That was my point in commenting in the first place.

I spent several hours there.

Listening to music.

On the system in question.

....but no, I didn't bring any measuring equipment or criticize frequency response graphs, so perhaps my assessments are less valid.

Your assessment is perfectly valid for yourself. I don't know where you are coming from so I take it at face value, but I would expect such a system to be reasonably competent.
I would expect the bass issues I mentioned to be audible but perhaps they're not that obvious (which I doubt) and you'd have to know what to listen for.

Yes. That was my point in commenting in the first place.

I spent several hours there.

Listening to music.

On the system in question.

....but no, I didn't bring any measuring equipment or criticize frequency response graphs, so perhaps my assessments are less valid.

This comment of your is pretty meaningless though:

I've heard it. It's excellent. Pretty much an "all worlds" approach,. Or at least a mix of American, euro, and brit priorities.

As a side note, MF's room has some very serious mid- and upper-bass issues (considering the price of his system):
113Walexfig6.jpg

Wilson Alexandria XLF, spatially averaged, 1/6-octave response in MF's listening room (red); and of Wilson MAXX 3 (blue).
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexandria-xlf-loudspeaker-measurements

Going off-topic a bit here but I can't help but notice the similarities between the above graph and my own in-room response of my Celestion Ditton 66, which I have in a similar position in my room to Fremer (in the corners but closer to the front wall than the side wall). I therefore assume the dip in the upper bass is due to the close proximity to the side wall? Does anyone know how wide Fremer's room is?

50715704103_2519d4d6b0_o.jpg

Last edited:
What can I say? I've heard mega systems before that did some really fancy stuff but didn't really leave me wanting to stay longer, keep going record after record, or try anything on it. MF's system did. It was just damned good and focused less on imaging/staging stuff than on just solid end to end dynamics, smoothness, fullness (without bloat) and detail. There wasn't a hint of strain (as you would expect at those prices).

So to be clear. We have contributor who has been lucky enough to hear this system & kind enough to relay this experience? As an alternative we have another who hasn’t but has stared at some graph or other & claims to know better?

This really is peak hifi fora behaviour. I don’t think it can ever be bettered.

So to be clear. We have contributor who has been lucky enough to hear this system & kind enough to relay this experience? As an alternative we have another who hasn’t but has stared at some graph or other & claims to know better?

Just what I was thinking!

Thank you. I do my best.

Fremer also made quite a bit of cash as a result of acting as an expert witness in the Michael Jackson / Quincy Jones trial. He’s said he spent much of that on his system.

advertisement

Back