advertisement

Thinking of selling it all, or massive downgrade at least......

badger748

Former bacon enthusiast
Lockdown has done odd things to us all.

Having spent 30 years building a half decent system, why would I think of changing it?
Not sure - lack of use, lack of enjoyment, sick of seeing massive depreciation?
Retail price today on my system well in excess of £100k.

Giving serious thought to selling the lot, and getting a simpler, cheaper system.
Anyone else been through this? Is is madness or cathartic?

I should add - having similar thoughts about cars and watches too. The massive depreciation, perhaps time to finally stop this once and for all.

The way I look at it is if you don’t think it is delivering value for money move it on and get something that does. The key question is as ever down to whether it leads you to great new music or not? If not then I’d be inclined to find something that does.

PS I obviously have a somewhat unusual perspective on hi-fi as a) it’s kind of my job as this place pays my wage, and b) I’ve always tried to buy great used kit that holds or even increases in value. As such I’m more than happy with having a house full of hi-fi as it is a wonderful tool to unlock amazing music and an investment. It clearly works as I’m just as hungry for musical discovery now as I was in my teens and 20s.

I should add - having similar thoughts about cars and watches too. The massive depreciation, perhaps time to finally stop this once and for all.
Thought you'd already made the decision on watches, and on hifi, having followed the pfm classifieds lately! Are you saying there's more? :eek:

Thought you'd already made the decision on watches, and on hifi, having followed the pfm classifieds lately! Are you saying there's more? :eek:
Oh that is the very tip of a very large iceberg !
I was selling off some stuff to make way for more stuff - but - the selling bug has caught, so instead of another upgrade, i just had a thought, why not keep selling?

Do it. I went from Naim CDX/XPS2, 252/SC, Nap 250, SBLs. Probably best part of £20k at retail. Now have ATC CDA2 into ATC40A. Couldn’t be happier, everything works, I listen to more music & enjoy it more. I still have a decent spec LP12.

The problem with having a £100k system is that you will never get rid of the “how good should this sound, is this really £100k of hifi”

I had a small legacy which allowed me to buy the speakers, the rest of the gear I sold on & have money in the bank.

Is your gear likely to sell for what you consider reasonable? There is a good market for some brands but some of the more esoteric marques may not be so easy to shift. Selling overseas is likely to be problematic.

I have said it here numerous times, and as stated by TonyL - buy used kit wisely.

I have never bought very much new kit and what I have has been what has depreciated. The rest, depending on how long it has been here, is worth at least what I paid, except wear items such as cart's.

Just a a VERY rough count-up. I have around £20K-worth of kit, new prices. I doubt that I have paid £10K, more like £6-7K and it will be worth around what I have paid, probably more. The LP12 has been here around 30 years, one set of speakers around the same, everything else will have been here less than something like 8 years, the most recent addition (actually funded mostly from a sale) having been here just a few weeks.

New prices for the hard copy media - quite a bit more than the kit.

Oh that is the very tip of a very large iceberg !
I was selling off some stuff to make way for more stuff - but - the selling bug has caught, so instead of another upgrade, i just had a thought, why not keep selling?
:D If you’ve a Junghans Max Bill chronograph you’re thinking of shifting, keep me in mind!

It’s hit and miss, all about timing and a bit of luck I feel, been selling a few things recently and stuff i thought would fly is still here and stuff I thought would be of no interest went easily. If you do cash it in what will you do with the large wedge - can’t take it with you :)

It’s hit and miss, all about timing and a bit of luck I feel, been selling a few things recently and stuff i thought would fly is still here and stuff I thought would be of no interest went easily. If you do cash it in what will you do with the large wedge - can’t take it with you :)
Please insert famous George Best quote here? !

I need to get my head around it all first, when i get around to it i'll post a full system resume - Mr Amber, you already have a Bartok!

My amplifier in my main system is a Naim NAP 250.2 and in my second system in the basement, I have an original NAP 160BD worth about 1/4th the price.

I enjoy music much more with my 160 although it’s not as hi-fi as my 250.2 so the big one will leave and the vintage one will stay.

Same story with my preamps, CD player, tuners and so on.........and I will end up with a kit of $5k and get rid of my $20k set without any regrets.

Give it to friend for few months and only then think about it again. You may miss them later (if money is not a reason now).
We do not know what you have, but prices for new electronic going up and the same for older quality things. Maybe after few years depreciation will not be problem anymore.

advertisement

Back