advertisement

What was/is your favourite CD player

Interesting. What is it about the 400 that you prefer?
It's been a long time since I heard the 400XS, but I remember being somewhat underwhelmed when I first heard the 440XS. In contrast, the 400XS, straight out of the box, made my (then) Naim CDS2 sound broken. It may be that the 440XS needed more running in when new. It's fine now, but unless I can repair the 400XS and compare directly, I'm just relying on my first and last impressions.

It's been a long time since I heard the 400XS, but I remember being somewhat underwhelmed when I first heard the 440XS. In contrast, the 400XS, straight out of the box, made my (then) Naim CDS2 sound broken. It may be that the 440XS needed more running in when new. It's fine now, but unless I can repair the 400XS and compare directly, I'm just relying on my first and last impressions.
If you ever get the 400 repaired would be interesting to hear the diff now. I use my 440 for CD and DAC duties and am quite pleased with the sound from both! I keep thinking of comparing the DAC to something like a Qutest but haven't got round to it.

If you ever get the 400 repaired would be interesting to hear the diff now. I use my 440 for CD and DAC duties and am quite pleased with the sound from both!
I just need to pull my finger out and find a Sony KSS-213c transport/laser. They seem commonly available enough.

In the meantime, and like yours, my 440XS is serving up music from both CD and Tidal via Bluesound Node 2i.

I just need to pull my finger out and find a Sony KSS-213c transport/laser. They seem commonly available enough.

In the meantime, and like yours, my 440XS is serving up music from both CD and Tidal via Bluesound Node 2i.

What was your front end before the 2i? I'm considering one of those to replace the Mac Mini.

What was your front end before the 2i? I'm considering one of those to replace the Mac Mini.
Before the Node 2i, I was a streaming virgin. I was using only physical media (vinyl, compact disc and compact cassette).

Virtually indistinguishable when using the 440's DAC. I haven't compared them directly with the Node's inbuilt DAC and MQA playback.

My current one.

Sony X33ES

My last one I should never have sold. Meridian 208.

Sony just edges it but the Meridian sounded awesome through its pre amp headphone amplifier.
I agree the X33ES is really nicely sounding CD player. The Musical fidelity Xray is more neutral but not as musical. I sold the Revox B226 an Rega Apollo R to keep the Sony and the Musical Fidelity.

Currently listening to the holiday place system. Quite modest in cost terms but sounds just right to my ears.

6000CDT/Apogee Minidac/33/303/SP2. Slippers on, just need to take up pipe smoking.

Ye olde Denon 1500ii.
Marantz 17ki
Roksan M2
One of the earlier Naims, top loader, was surprised how good it was.
Restek Concret ( bested all my previous in list ).
Meridian 506.24, excellent player only bettered by adding a DIY DAC and still in play.
I haven't heard many since but none have impressed.

Really liked my old Meridian 596 DVD (which never saw a DVD, but was a lovely standalone CD player). Very nice soundstage for whatever reason.

Now sadly inop, needing a mech. Which is unobtainable.

Any tips on how to get a DSL-710a mech or laser for this, I’m all ears.

Denon DCD 800
Sony 555es
Pioneer PD06
Linn Mimik Silver Anniversary
Linn Genki
Thorens TCD2000
Rega Planet
Naim CD5i
Naim CD5x Flatcapped
Heed CDT With Obelisk DAC
Densen B400

Not many compared til Turntables, amps and speakers. Best of Them soundwise Naim CD5x with Flatcap closely followed by Thorens TCD2000. The Heed DAC was something special though…The Naim CD5x was Way better with the Old Flatcap2 Got a Flatcap 2x that sounded worse, more Hi Fi boring, with the Old 2 the Girl could swing like a good recordplayer…

The best, and the last CD player that I have had in my main system was the first release of the Sugden Masterclass CD Player. Ironically it was responsible for its own downfall as it had a digital input and it was around the time of being able to rip CD’s and play them back as files from a computer. I decided that this was the way to go so no longer needing a fully functional CD player it was replaced with my first DAC, a used Marantz CDA-94. Never looked back.

Listening back to back on Quboz Stidio last
night compared to my CD rips, on the tracks I selected, I preferred the rips on almost every occasion. Some showing as HR too.

Eoin, we need to do a comparison of rip v cd player v internet streaming

Favourite is in place right now.
Luxman D03x.
Don’t think I’ve ever had a bad sounding cd player.
Moon Equinox was great.
Marantz SA14S1SE was quality.
Rega Apollo 2000 was fun and quirky.
Arcam Alpha was amazing second hand for £30.
I got an Audiolab 8200cd but only lasted a few hours before power supply failed, but it sounded great when working.
Borrowed a Meridian 508.24 which was total class. But showed it’s age.

Really liked my old Meridian 596 DVD (which never saw a DVD, but was a lovely standalone CD player). Very nice soundstage for whatever reason.

Now sadly inop, needing a mech. Which is unobtainable.

Any tips on how to get a DSL-710a mech or laser for this, I’m all ears.

Get in contact with Mr Tech Guy https://www.mrtechguy.co.uk/
He did that very thing to my 596 last year (& recapped it).

advertisement

Back