advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

It will be an important milestone when the first batch of 25 has been shipped and very good news for those of us that are waiting for VFET amps even though they will be several MDAC2 batches away.

Rune, you really think so? You don't think people on PFM didn't want to get on the first batch. With all the bans and not getting accepted to the closed group and all? Lucky for you youre on the first batch, right?

Rune, you really think so? You don't think people on PFM didn't want to get on the first batch. With all the bans and not getting accepted to the closed group and all? Lucky for you youre on the first batch, right?
Yes, I am on first batch. Can't see why that is a relevant question!
I am also waiting for VFET amps which will only be a reality after all the MDAC2 batches. I just wanted to share some good news especially for those that is waiting for VFET amps like me and who had by far taken the biggest risk.
First to pay, last to receive. Lets not forget any original payments made on pfm predated the Facebook group by years..
Yes I was not between the lucky few that got a fusion or toy upgrade but I have been here for many years and I was the first or second to pay for VFET amps and also one of the last.
Why not just be happy about that it now is seem that it is finally going to happen or is it better with no news?

What are you talking about? Last quotation here from facebook a few days ago was that there will be some design changes which will take month at least.

Sorry, I'm not on the Facebook group. Are we saying that the MDAC2 is going to ship, without the involvement of an external manufacturer? Were any timescales given for delivery?

Would it be possible to publish the entire current news history from FB here. Obviously John is not willing to do this. In the past, others have had to take over. Maybe this time too?
Then at least all would have the same level of knowledge and then did not talk about fragments torn out of context.
Thank you

I'm #7 on the list but waiting for an FDAC, so saw no point in doing an interim step and upgrading later

lets see what issues these first units throw up

DevDac now became the Dac2 with either salvaged case or optional custom full width case, optional built in detox and av bypass. Hoping for production in 3 months time. Custom case still being finalised, so these will be after the initial run.

First batch of what? Replacement board for the MDAC, or something else?

Seems like replacement board for original MDAC case. I did think this idea had been abandoned some time ago. Also seems like any long standing priority list originally set up has been abandoned and is now a free for all. The only certain thing is that John has zero people management skills.

Is there a bulleted list of DAC2 functionality that's posted on FB that someone can share pls? Things like port qty & types, psu reqs, what reuse of current MDAC - case, display, remote etc

I'm assuming that the sq and measured performance of these new devices will be good, so it's the functionality that interests me and will determine what if anything I do.

Part of that decision will be if there are plans for a future FDAC / DAC3 - added capabilities beyond 2...streamer, DSP...

Can anyone expain what is going on? Is this some sort of April fool?
I can't make any sense of the above. Obviously a new redesign and/or going round in circles on replacement board vs wholly new dac is just same old same old .
But there seems to be some suggestion that a batch of something has been sold.

if 25 units have been sold then presumably those 25 people know what they're getting. Most likely published somewhere on FB - be good if someone in the 25 or not, could publish it here pls.

Nothing’s been sold. John’s looking for people who have some kind of interest - non-committal before he orders parts for the 25 units. The design isn’t finalised yet, so it’s all a up in the air IMHO.

Would it be possible to publish the entire current news history from FB here. Obviously John is not willing to do this. In the past, others have had to take over. Maybe this time too?
Then at least all would have the same level of knowledge and then did not talk about fragments torn out of context.
Thank you

******The below is just my take on what's going on....It has no authorization from JW. It's been written by me to help Fred and some others see the project from where I stand. I have no extra insight or knowledge. I just read the FB thread, that's all.******

FB is unfortunately not as nicely laid out as PFM, so it's hard to keep up to date with what's going on. While working on the FPGA programming JW had an idea that would help deliver the MDAC2 sooner. He mentioned a 'fork' which I take to mean a way around a problem that would allow the MDAC2 board to be more quickly designed and with perhaps better SQ. So he took the decision to commit to delivering this....yes delivering...yes to sponsors...the MDAC2 in 3 months (July). To ease BOM and initial costs the MDAC2 board will fit the old MDAC chassis thereby saving on the design and costs of developing/producing a new chassis. Just the front (now a full size touch screen panel) and the back plate would be required, the old sleeve, PSU and remote control would be re-used. It seems to me that most of the '25' will be going for a new Custom Chassis, yet to be designed but to feature CNC'd body an internal HQ-PSU and new Remote.

The bare MDAC2 PCB will be in the region of 500 GBP, with some extra for the front display(new full size) and back plate. All of these will be made to high standards within the EU. The new Custom Chassis with a HQ-PSU and remote will add another 500 GBP approx. Please don't take these costs/figures as gospel, they are only estimates and if I'm right about JW estimates they are seriously on the low side. I would highly recommend you think of the PCB as costing 750 GBP and the Custom Chassis etc. as costing 750 GBP.....these are my estimates and I may be VERY wrong (apologies in advance if I'm wrong). No costs are fixed yet not even the postage and packing so take heed these costs are ball park at very best and the later inflated costs just me trying to help by being more realistic imho. The Detox option will probably add some cost. There is no streamer being offered at the moment, although much much later (after the VFETs) it will be factory(JW) re-fit-able to the Custom Chassis. I'm not sure it will fit inside the old MDAC chassis so may come in a separate box for those using that chassis.

As said above JW is about to place an order of some ICs required for the MDAC2 board, these are in short supply and JW has funds to source these for 25 units so was just getting an idea of interest in the MDAC2, which is now a discrete design with an FPGA (I have virtually no technical knowledge). The MDAC2 is to be followed by the VFETs and then the all singing and dancing FDAC. Everyone in the project will have the option of getting the FDAC at cost when it's turn comes. Also everyone not in the first '25' will get the MDAC2 after the first batch if they want one, this summer I guess.

******I'm not JW....so I can't field any questions from my post here....just re-read it if unclear, I won't be elaborating as that seriously risks misleading you or others. In fact I may have misled people here already (my apologies in advance if I have). This post was my attempt to help Fred get an idea of what happened recently.....I may have got it awfully wrong.******

Last edited:

advertisement

Back