advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

The odd thing is that speakers should be harder really because the shape is critical to the function, but just a few curves and 'good' wood and it's so much more aesthetically pleasing. Take Sonus for example. Maybe I just like wood?

If we've ended this chat maybe we should move on to 'other items of hiFi beauty'?

Last seen being flipped out of the arena on Robot Wars.
Anyway, this?
Audio-Innovations-Alto-AM1-Integrated-Amplifier-Chrome-Grey.jpg

I love what my ATC does it does but am not an admirer of the ATC square looks, oh well

th

At least AI tried with this... It’s a decent go and NOT a Black Box anyway. I understand budget kit sticking to safe and trusted forms... good design will add a whack to production costs if curves and unusual materials are involved, but once we are into the High End kit there’s no excuse not to try at least.
Actually I really like this design, always did. It was mid price and really looked fresh.

Don't think 'beautiful' is quite the right term for these, but despite never even hearing them, I have always lusted after a Mission 776 and 777 combo since I first saw them back in the day..

aYnsLVah.png

always wanted that set

“Pleasure control” reminds me of the control descriptions used on the Wega systems designed by Hartmut Esslinger (Frog ~ Apple design pre Johnny Ive):

hartmut-esslinger-wega-2.jpg
Those are pretty nice. I had never heard of them, and didn't know of the connection with Sony. Apparently Sony bought them and then used the Wega name for some higher end versions of their products (e.g. Trinitron WEGA, which was the completely flat CRT).

Moon 600i V2, the matching streamer/dac and phono stage are really smart too. Combine that with something modern looking like b&w 800 series and that would be a very good looking and sounding system.

try googlin 'steampunk valve amps', images.

Lovely stuff

If you like copper pipe. Could look ok in an Edwardian basement kitchen?

advertisement

Back