advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardg

Admonishtrator
Don't shout too loudly on that. It is really just vaccine selfishness that has given the UK the initial lead. US and Israel are in the same space. I think Hungary are doing well but they are very right wing also.

On your pharmacy story the following links make no suggestion of that. Sounds like a straight banana story.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...-they-lack-doses-amid-AstraZeneca-controversy

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fre...cancel-vaccinations-as-doses-go-to-pharmacies
Whatever, I'm getting vaccinated on Friday. I'll post my certificate if you want, along with the rules that state when the dates for over 50s start. And the reason I, my girlfiend and my business partner can all have our vaccinations before our timeslot is because supply is exceeding demand. My doctor is also throwing them out and said I can come end of day Friday when she should have some bottles about to expire - this is because people aren't turning up during the week.

Obviously you won't believe me and the remainers will probably join you in disbelieving me, then continue to like your comments and ignore mine. But I dont care, this is what is happening on the street and I am having an early vaccination...yippee!

The same is happening in the UK - some people just miss the appointment. I have friends in their early 50's who had it ages ago simply by staying in touch with the vaccination center.

The same is happening in the UK - some people just miss the appointment. I have friends in their early 50's who had it ages ago simply by staying in touch with the vaccination center.

Ditto over here that stuff is going to happen. It seems crazy but it is no more that what happens normally with people missing hospital appointments. If I couldn't make something I would let the centre know or the hospital for some reason selfish people don't see the need for that or have any conscience in relation to acting this way. Somehow this is a positive for Brexit??

I'm in Leeds, had No.1 dose 3 weeks ago aged 53. This was a scheduled invitation. If there were people missing it would not have been apparent, there was a 20 - 30 minute queue and they were getting through people very promptly.

Ditto over here that stuff is going to happen. It seems crazy but it is no more that what happens normally with people missing hospital appointments. If I couldn't make something I would let the centre know or the hospital for some reason selfish people don't see the need for that or have any conscience in relation to acting this way. Somehow this is a positive for Brexit??
The differences are the population has not been told that the vaccine is dangerous, the UK and ROI are not anti-vax and demand outstrips supply so vaccine is not wasted.

I'm in Leeds, had No.1 dose 3 weeks ago aged 53. This was a scheduled invitation. If there were people missing it would not have been apparent, there was a 20 - 30 minute queue and they were getting through people very promptly.
Good to hear you have benefited from a UK first policy.

Is it just a coincidence that other EU members were told that the EU was negotiating an excellent deal on their behalf? I suppose the EU did deliver on price.
But they didn’t have to sign up for the deal. Just as we wouldn’t have had to (and probably wouldn’t have - remember we opted not to join the PPE procurement). So this is emphatically not a Brexit bonus, much as you’d like to spin it as one. It’s just more of your hubris, playing into your EU Titanic fantasy.

No. People here are finding out that their vaccine is the astra zenica vaccine at the 11th hour and refusing it. There are of course people like those mentioned that just forgot.

But they didn’t have to sign up for the deal. Just as we wouldn’t have had to (and probably wouldn’t have - remember we opted not to join the PPE procurement). So this is emphatically not a Brexit bonus, much as you’d like to spin it as one. It’s just more of your hubris, playing into your EU Titanic fantasy.
Rubbish. It would be considered not cricket to buy outside the club and the true believers like France and Germany predictably went along with it. For a while..

They didn't have to but as good Europeans the thumb screws were on and achieved the super deals. Luckily by August last year we were well on the way in the lifeboats; no way would the UK have anything to do with EU vaccine procurement or EU joint covid debt.

You asked for an opinion, not evidence.
It’s a friendly conversation. Isn’t that what a forum is about, or don’t you have any interest in a conversation? So, now I’m asking why you think as many as 4 million. I think nowhere near that many but it’s a guess based on the frequency of comment about a points system of immigration versus comment suggesting preventing immigration.

There is a grim-faced determination on the EUphile left to concede no benefit, potential or otherwise, to Brexit, as a consequence of which there is always this predictable scramble to remind us all that the UK could have gone alone on the vaccine even as a member state.

This fails to address a number of factors. The fact that the UK going alone demonstrated that, contrary to the constant pro-EU 'big is good' rhetoric, this example provided a useful demonstration that small, focused, imaginative, flexible, bold and fleet of foot could actually be better, contrasting as it did with cumbersome, indicisive, turgid and disproportionately focused on risk-aversion and cost. It was a fine balancing act, but on this one racist UK seems to have got it right.

This has all been said. However, another question worth considering is whether, had it still been a member, the (presumably not so racist) UK would have gone along with the rest of the bloc. The institutional character of the EU seems to breed a kind of infantilism in its member countries, a sort of dependency culture whereby the states feel unable to make autonomous decisions, deferring instead by default to their masters in Brussels. I strongly suspect that, as a member, the UK would have dutifully trooped along with the others.

On PPE this might possibly have advantaged us, of course, (though notwithstanding the demonstration of ugly PPE nationalism displayed at the beginning, when Italy was on its knees). On the vaccine, it certainly would not have done.

“EUphile left”- love it. Then I copped the rest of the floral prose. Prize goes to EV for the greatest number of adjectives crushed into one sentence. You’ve truly drank Quentin Letts’ bath water!

It’s a friendly conversation. Isn’t that what a forum is about, or don’t you have any interest in a conversation? So, now I’m asking why you think as many as 4 million. I think nowhere near that many but it’s a guess based on the frequency of comment about a points system of immigration versus comment suggesting preventing immigration.
Getting control over immigration was one of the major selling points of Brexit and was one of the reasons many people voted for it. So it seems reasonable to assume that this anti immigration poster resonated with a sizeable chunk of Brexit voters. The more I think about it, the more I think 3-4 million is a conservative guess. Might have been half of Brexit voters.

The poster was clearly designed to stoke up anti immigrant sentiment and was straight out of Goebbels playbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back