advertisement

Royd Minstrel - did late versions have different drivers?

Howard G

Hi - first post ever on here, be gentle.

I got my first set of good speakers recently - some Royd Minstrels from eBay.

I noticed when I got them that the mid bass drivers look different to every other picture of Minstrels I’ve seen (four screws for a start) but they do look like Royd drivers and there’s no sign that they have been substituted (tweeter foam looks untouched). Serial number is 018017 - maybe this makes them a late version? Looking at other Royds the surround and the frame look a bit like those on the Revelations and Sorcerer SE.

I’ll post pics once I’ve reached 3 normal posts.

I wondered if anyone had seen other Minstrels like these and why they might have different drivers? To me they sound absolutely brilliant, so the question is just for education/interest. Thanks

Last edited:
Can hopefully post a few pics now

51095982524_08b851491c_o_d.jpg

51095982459_0f466eef2b_o_d.jpg

51095900556_59de63a192_o_d.jpg

Hello Howard and welcome.

It is possible that these are very late versions of the Minstrel. Other than the driver's chassis, these look 100% Joe Ackroyd to me. There was a picture of Eden's on PFM earlier this year with a similar looking driver minus the shiny back damping on the cone. Casting my mind back, Phonography were selling off some Royd speakers back in 2004 when Joe retired. These could be from batch.

In any event, if they sound good then they are good.

Hope you enjoy them.

All the best.

Martin

It is possible that these are very late versions of the Minstrel. Other than the driver's chassis, these look 100% Joe Ackroyd to me. There was a picture of Eden's on PFM earlier this year with a similar looking driver minus the shiny back damping on the cone. Casting my mind back, Phonography were selling off some Royd speakers back in 2004 when Joe retired. These could be from batch.

Hope you enjoy them.

All the best.

Martin

Thanks Martin,

That aligns with my deductions. They sound superb. I’m already concerned by the fact that maintaining them, and certainly finding like for like parts, is going to be a challenge.

Best just enjoy them and make sure little hands don’t get near them/the volume knob.

Hope you enjoy them.

All the best.

Martin

Just saw the Eden thread - those drivers do look similar, especially the four screw chassis. They also have a 018XXX serial number.

Thanks

The Royd Revelation series of models RR1, RR2, and RR3 (re)introduced the 4-point mount bass/mid driver basket.

Interestingly, from looking at the closeup shot of this late Minstrel bass/mid driver, they appear to have introduced a 'dam' round the voice coil former via a bead of some material. It was through the slit in the VC former (seen in the picture at roughly the 11 o-clock position) that the cone damping material would eventually seep through and gum up the gap between VC and centre pole piece.

The Sorcerer SE also used a Revelation series bass/mid. At least most appear to have done. With Royd, the 'manufacturer reserves the right to change things about' was a gross understatement.

The Royd Revelation series of models RR1, RR2, and RR3 (re)introduced the 4-point mount bass/mid driver basket.

Interestingly, from looking at the closeup shot of this late Minstrel bass/mid driver, they appear to have introduced a 'dam' round the voice coil former via a bead of some material. It was through the slit in the VC former (seen in the picture at roughly the 11 o-clock position) that the cone damping material would eventually seep through and gum up the gap between VC and centre pole piece.

The Sorcerer SE also used a Revelation series bass/mid. At least most appear to have done. With Royd, the 'manufacturer reserves the right to change things about' was a gross understatement.

I hadn’t really pieced together what the “dam” is but you’re right and it seems to work. The VC and centre pole are completely clean - I checked for gumming when I got them.

Thank you - really interesting.

The ‘right to change things about’ makes Royds fascinating. Might need some more so I can make comparisons.... this is a slippery slope.

advertisement

Back