advertisement

Quick Technics question (headshells)

Interesting question. Amber Audio, what do you make of this user comment on analogue seduction's website ?

"Excellent craftsmanship, nice price and dynamic sound. However: why on earth AT did not drilled a set of mounting holes in the place between the last two ones to make it exactly for Technics 52 mm cartridge mounting distance is beyond me. Thought it perfectly comes to 49 mm requirement for my 40 years old Sony PS-4700...??? and Pioneer PLX 1000 requirement of 54 mm. I feel let down with my SL-1200 "

He seems to be having a problem with that headshell and the Technics geometry, though you obviously don't. What's he doing wrong ?

Interesting question. Amber Audio, what do you make of this user comment on analogue seduction's website ?

"Excellent craftsmanship, nice price and dynamic sound. However: why on earth AT did not drilled a set of mounting holes in the place between the last two ones to make it exactly for Technics 52 mm cartridge mounting distance is beyond me. Thought it perfectly comes to 49 mm requirement for my 40 years old Sony PS-4700...??? and Pioneer PLX 1000 requirement of 54 mm. I feel let down with my SL-1200 "

He seems to be having a problem with that headshell and the Technics geometry, though you obviously don't. What's he doing wrong ?
His point is rather moot, as achieving 52mm from the back of the headshell mounting flange to stylus tip is going to come down to the particular cartridge, specifically its stylus tip to centre of cartridge lug hole dimension, something that has never been standardized.

I can't confirm such, however, I suspect that there are likely to be a few A-T cartridge models that can be made to land at 52mm (and likely at 49mm too).

There was an AT-MS10 with azimuth adjustment that allowed a smidge of fore/aft shift to cover some of the middle ground between threaded hole pairs, Although this model only has three pairs of threaded holes vs. the 4 pairs on MG10.

I use the AT-LH13H fully adjusted for overhang and azimuth and fit the OC range of carts perfectly £79 I think I paid, comes in three different weights.

They move fore and aft when you release the grubscrew on the collar. It adjusts azimuth too, so can be PITA.
The aluminium version of this headshell, the AT-LT13A, doesn't have the sliding collar which means I cannot get 52mm from stylus to collar with any of my cartridges, Goldring 1042, Ortofon VMS20E/2, AT-VMN540ML, Ortofon 2M Red, AT33PTG/11.
The inexpensive AT-HS1 by contrast is just perfect. The default Technics headshell is seriously flawed. If the azimuth grub screw is tightened slightly askew, it will always return to that grub screw indentation.

The aluminium version of this headshell, the AT-LT13A, doesn't have the sliding collar which means I cannot get 52mm from stylus to collar with any of my cartridges, Goldring 1042, Ortofon VMS20E/2, AT-VMN540ML, Ortofon 2M Red, AT33PTG/11.
The inexpensive AT-HS1 by contrast is just perfect. The default Technics headshell is seriously flawed. If the azimuth grub screw is tightened slightly askew, it will always return to that grub screw indentation.
Tried any others like the Jelcos? I have a few of the HS1 and for ten quid they are a total bargain.

AT-LH13/OCC, Jelco HS-25.
The AT-LH13/OCC doesn't fit my Ortofon VMS20E because the cartridge body is too long. My Ortofon 2M Red doesn't fit any of my headshells with threaded holes.
The Jelco is probably my best headshell. Having said that, the cheapo AT-HS1 is absolutely fine at a fraction of the cost of the Jelco.

AT-LH13/OCC, Jelco HS-25.
The AT-LH13/OCC doesn't fit my Ortofon VMS20E because the cartridge body is too long. My Ortofon 2M Red doesn't fit any of my headshells with threaded holes.
The Jelco is probably my best headshell. Having said that, the cheapo AT-HS1 is absolutely fine at a fraction of the cost of the Jelco.
I have quite a few different shells , a couple fairly expensive but that HS1 is as good as some costing multiples more, defo a bargain, have one with a 95ML on a Techy at the moment sounding excellent, actually prefer it to the supplied Techy shell which is about £80 I think.

I have a few of the ebay special Technics replicas and they are fine.

I've had the odd iffy one where there's been play between the main headshell and the SME type connector - but for the price I can cope with the occasional duffer.

It's a shame the Sumiko headshells don't seem to be available any more.

If you want to get right into this stuff here’s the definitive guide according to popular opinion
https://www.vinylengine.com/ve_down...eometry_by_Graeme_F_Dennes_28_August 2018.pdf

I have used the ADC magnesium head shells since the late 70s. They were the standard recommendation back then. Plenty on the used market from the usual sources.you can always upgrade the leads if you wish

One thing to bare in mind with SL1200s is downward VTA adjustment is very limited. As such the distance of the headshell above the mount is critical, and it can vary by a mm or two. The stock Technics shell is pretty shallow as I recall, so I’d be reluctant to go for anything much taller unless you have a big cart.

One thing to bare in mind with SL1200s is downward VTA adjustment is very limited. As such the distance of the headshell above the mount is critical, and it can vary by a mm or two. The stock Technics shell is pretty shallow as I recall, so I’d be reluctant to go for anything much taller unless you have a big cart.
Using different mat thickness would help adjust for differences?

Very hard to find high quality, low mass headshells these days, it almost all heavier stuff for moving coil carts on a heavier arms.

advertisement

Back