advertisement

Which British brands are still and truly British?

I probably should be more concerned about where and under what circumstances stuff is made, talking about hi-fi for the moment but that really goes for other things too.

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that the above is rarely at the forefront of my mind.

Sometimes it's for financial reasons, at other times it simply does not cross my mind.

I've just ordered a Chinese made, British designed product. - Although perhaps not directly comparable I could have had say a Sugden Amplifier and a set of Pro-Ac's for the same money, assuming both are still made here.

Maybe my next change will take on a slightly different direction?

Not that I think there is anything fundamentally wrong with Chinese made product but there are clearly alternative ways, at least in this field.

Brands from the other thread:

Art Audio
ARC
ART
ATC
Atlas
Avid
Avondale
Beresford
Bespoke Audio Co.
BLQ
Chord
Chord Co
Coherent Systems
Croft
Cyrus
Decca
DCS
Ear Yoshino
Edwards Audio
EWA
Falcon Acoustics
Fyne Audio
Graham
Graham Slee
Gsp Audio
Harbeth
Heybrook
Isotek
Kerr Acoustics
Kralk Audio (not anymore in the market, IIRC)
Kudos
Leema
LFD
Linn
Living Voice
Longdog
MAD
Meridian
Michell Engineering
Monitor Audio
Music First
Naim
Neat
Nord Acoustics
Notts Analogue
Nottingham Analogue
Nytec
NVA
Onix DNA
Origin Live
Paul Hynes
PMC
QED
Quiescent
Radford Audio Ltd
Rega
Rothwell
SJS
SME
Sugden
Systemdek
Tellurium
Tom Evans
Tisbury
Titan
Trichord
Trilogy
Tron
Vertere
Volt
Wilmslow Audio
Wilson Benesch

I don't know if they are all true British but it makes more sense then 100 posts with one or two names IMO.

I am not too bothered about ownership, I have tended to buy British made hifi though.

Rega
Linn
Naim
ATC

All of the above have been in residence but currently only ATC & Linn are given house room.

I hope that this is not about flag hugging... I like buying local but I don’t want to miss out on a better alternative just because it’s not made by a UK owned business.
Look at the rubbish designed and made in the old East Germany.

Naturally, my preference is to buy stuff made in my town...apart from that I don’t really mind where in the world it is made.

What IS important is that the company is owned by designers/engineers rather than bean-counters, and that R&D and production go hand in hand.

advertisement

Back