advertisement

Looking for recommended Chinese LPS brands

duckworp

pfm Member
Aliexpress has some very well-priced linear power supplies which look well made. However I am concerned about potential safety and quality issues. Cheap ones may be unsafe and can often be noisy (electrically noisy).

If you have bought a Chinese linear power supply direct from AliExpress or via ebay and have been happy and you think they are designed well from a safety point of view I would be very interested in the name of these quality brands.

I don't know much more about power supplies than how to connect them, but last week I bought one for my Jez Arkless phono stage from RS Components and it came in at only £8.

I don't know much more about power supplies than how to connect them, but last week I bought one for my Jez Arkless phono stage from RS Components and it came in at only £8.
According to Jez, the Cambridge wall wart is just a transformer, not a power supply, and the linear PSU gubbins is inside the box.

Looking at the price once imported and VAT paid I would suggest the following is worth looking at . It is made in the UK to 240V standards and the price you see is the price you pay . They look and feel very well made and they work quietly .

www.reelaudio.co.uk

Looking at the price once imported and VAT paid I would suggest the following is worth looking at . It is made in the UK to 240V standards and the price you see is the price you pay . They look and feel very well made and they work quietly .

www.reelaudio.co.uk

Bencat - What unit did you purchase, and what is it powering?

I purchased two units in the end . First was 12V 3Amp and this is powering my MiniDSP 10 x 10 Digital Crossover unit . Second one was a double 5 v unit with two outputs . One is powering my Pi4 2GB Allo Digione player the other my MiniDSP DDRC 22D DIRAC Live unit .

Paul is very helpful and answers e-mail or will call you if you need anything unusual or very specific . Please note these can cost more and mine did but not excessive . In the case of the two 5V power supply not as cheap as an Allo Shanti (Which I have for my main system) pre Brexit but very similar to the now post Brexit price .

www.reelaudio.co.uk

Yes this looks great value. I note these are far far cheaper than, for example, Paul Hynes power supplies. I do not understand electronics, but what is 'better' about the more costly brands. None of them sell through distributors or retailers so it is not about a retail margin.

I may be wrong about this but this is my view on the various LPSU units around and their costs and perhaps as well their abilities. Firstly Baldwin Audio seems to be a one man operation and Paul designs makes and sells his products himself . His costs and over heads are kept small and he can probably work on a much smaller profit margin . I can not be sure but I would say his LPSU are very strictly engineering based and do not include boutique or special components such as plastic film caps etc. What he uses are good quality and correctly specified parts that will work safely and correctly and meet the specifications you ask for . Special units with higher power such as 4amp 12V cost more and in my case just over £200 including postage . Same for the dual 5V supply .

Others like the Paul Hynes , Sbooster have specific design and possibly exotic components and they employ other people to produce them this will both increase costs and need a higher profit rate to pay wages etc so they will price accordingly . They may even sound or perform to a higher standard which I would not know.

What I would say about those I have favoured is that they are very solidly made , they look very professional they are properly 240V specified which is important 220v or 230v units which may well have just enough to cope Transformers in will be stressed when operated at 240 v all the time (I have a voltage screen on my connection box which shows my voltage is never less than 242V and often 250v) so I am pleased that what I am using will be comfortable working with this . I did notice an improvement in sound quality as each unit was added and that improvement has stayed . All of the other units I am sure will also work and be safe and may well give even better sound quality only you can decide if the additional cost involved is money well spent . I am happy with what I have currently and if I need any new LPSU i will be going back to Baldwin Audio .

As noted if you look in the pictures this is clearly shown as a 220V unit and the Transformer is rated at 230V . This will work on UK voltage but it is being used above its specification so it is not clear how long it would work at 240v . If this is a unit that will used only for the time you are actually listening then it should be fine . If though it is used to power anything such as a router or network switch that is on all the time I would suggest it would fail . Even with just the on off use above this unit will most likely run hot .

advertisement

Back