advertisement

Exposure Bi Amping Question

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi

currently have exposure 3010S2D integrated. What would be the benefit of adding the 3010 stereo power amplifier? Not that I am unhappy with my setup, far from it, but may upgrade speakers at some point to higher end model.

Additionally my current speakers are single wire only, do you need bi wireable speakers to work?

How best to connect, one amp per speaker or one amp per tweeters and woofers? If speakers are Bi wireable and if not.

Many thanks

Same power rating so passive biamping shouldn’t be a problem if the speakers are bi-wireable.
I recently did this with 2 sets of nc400 mono’s and a pre with 4 outputs there was a noticeable improvement imo, not big but noticeable. Improved all round. sold one pair to fund a purchase but intend to do it again when funds allow. Good luck.

I have the 2010s integrated with the power amp. I’ve got the integrated powering the tweeters and the power amp doing the rest. You would need bi-wirable speakers for that. To be honest I can’t tell the difference from when I just had to the integrated doing it all. Maybe if I compared them side by side I could but certainly nothing obvious.

You can also run the integrated just as a pre amp and the power amp doing it all.

What are your current speakers and what are the nominal impedance and efficiency ratings?

Do your speakers first. You need biwireable speakers anyway. It would be better, all other things being equal but it all depends on whether or not you find anything that you like speaker wise that will allow it. Of course, your money, your choice but I certainly wouldn’t choose speakers based on whether or not they’re biwireable.

Mono blocks, I.e. one amp per speaker makes more sense if you keep the Neats but then you need 2 power amps, not one!

Is one amp doing the tweeters and the other doing the mid/bass wasteful? Assuming tweeters are easier to drive.

thus is the power better used with one amp per speaker?

Is one amp doing the tweeters and the other doing the mid/bass wasteful? Assuming tweeters are easier to drive.

thus is the power better used with one amp per speaker?

I've always thought that a bit, but then I'd find using the integrated purely as a pre amp is a bit of a waste as well. In which case what you're really after is a pre amp with 2 mono amps.

I've always thought that a bit, but then I'd find using the integrated purely as a pre amp is a bit of a waste as well. In which case what you're really after is a pre amp with 2 mono amps.
Yeah agreed. Could probably trade in the integrate and get the pre amp at no cost if buying the monos. More expensive though.

There are no gains from passive bi-amping. A quick search of PFM will reveal a fair number of threads discussing the topic and explaining the ins and outs of the issue. The OP would be better advised to use his funds to buy the best possible ample and passively amplify his speakers accordingly. There are potentially gains to be had from active bi-amping but this would involve bypassing the passive crossover network in the OP's speakers with an appropriate active crossover which is not a trivial exercise.

I’ll have a search as part of me thinks surely two amps are better than one for control, but on the other hand it’s still the same number of watts per channel.

however regardless of that I would still expect the pre amp plus monos to be better than the integrated, even if it’s just a lower noise floor.

I wouldn't bother with biamp, never got real improvement trying this myself.
Biwire speakers has become a no-go for me.

Your speakers need a beefier amp, it could be 3010 pre/power if staying with Exposure.
I have my SN2 on Momentum SX5i with no issues, lots of power reserves.

Your speakers need a beefier amp, it could be 3010 pre/power if staying with Exposure.
Depends how loud you want to listen.

I have the 3010S2D defo don’t need a beefier amp in my view. Question was regarding jumping up to bigger speakers.

There are no gains from passive bi-amping. A quick search of PFM will reveal a fair number of threads discussing the topic and explaining the ins and outs of the issue. The OP would be better advised to use his funds to buy the best possible ample and passively amplify his speakers accordingly. There are potentially gains to be had from active bi-amping but this would involve bypassing the passive crossover network in the OP's speakers with an appropriate active crossover which is not a trivial exercise.

Sorry I don’t agree, there’s not my experience.
A night and day difference no but a small improvement can be had. Best way to describe would probably be a little more effortless, bass a tad tighter. Considering what you could spend elsewhere for no improvement I was impressed.
Active xovers etc are a bit above my pay grade. Exposure sell active xovers or they did until relatively recently.

Neat momentum sx3i, 87db min 4 ohm though I read a review which measured around 3.5
Unless you are listening at ridiculous levels you have plenty of headroom.
Most of us won’t exceed 87db as an average.
Spend your money elsewhere or even better “don’t worry, be happy”

I too have experienced some improvement from biamping. Plus if your speakers have a simple xover like mine (just a first order high pass filter on the tweeter) then you can implement the passive filters at line level in the input stage of the power amplifier. No active xover and power supply required, just single capacitor swap in most cases. It was a major improvement over the speaker level equivalent in my case / opinion.

I started a thread years ago about passive bi-amping, the replies and explanations I got convinced me it does nothing. So decided to buy a better amp. Having said that I know that Bob at Neat used to do it with a Supernait, and a 250; he admits it's marginal though.

I did this in the past, with 2 x IVDR into Gale 302 after modifying the paxos to accept it.
I tried vertical first, in different configurations but settled on horizontal.
The improvement was disappointingly marginal but enough to not revert.
I ran this only for a shortish time as I had landed some SBLs and ordered a V from Exposure.

advertisement

Back