advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

Sony TA-E86B/N86B combo. Understated elegance and no compromise build in and out. Much like the previous E/N88B combo.

There's a set of those for sale here in Spain. It's really tempting but the rack mount ears are missing on the amp... I think they may have been damaged (like the preamp in that photo) and someone cut them off. Not that they're necessary, but rack mount gear looks cool.

Yes, and despite myself I quite like his turntable
Phonographic-Preambulator-Turntable-by-Metaxas-Sins-1.jpg
Better have a big solid slab of something to put that on or else the weight of it will make the motor and TT tilt toward each other!

He then moved onto...

404499.jpg
I love the 9X00s too. It's unfortunate that it kind of became obsolete from having tape built in (and even CD these days). They are dirt cheap now, even compared to the 4500s.

Jacob Jensen moved onto that from what? The 4500 series? The CX speakers? RL speakers? The hunk of solid aluminum Beolinks? So many great designs.

If Le Corbusier designed hifi: The HD-1 integrated amp from Margules Audio in Mexico.

I always wanted one but couldn't really justify it when they were available. Now they've completely disappeared – I could barely even find this picture of one.

Check out their site, linked above. They produce full systems, including speakers and a very beautiful turntable.

hd-1.jpg
I think this is a winner.

I'm sorry, I know "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" & all that, but there is some hideous bling on these pages.
How come no one's mentioned the Onix OA21 yet? I know the names dirt around these parts but the looks certainly aren't.
+1 for Quad as well, particularly the 33/303.
TS

I've looked through all of these and I have to say, 'beauty' is really in the eyes of the beholder.

I believe I am the anomaly here, being just 33 years old and from the far east. So a lot of the designs showcase here in the thread has so far been, kind of repulsive to me (with of course a few exceptions). This shows how we perceive 'beauty' can sometimes be largely up to cultural influence.

Being brought up during the 'japan' age of the 90s and then enjoyed minimalist designs from Scandinavian countries and Japan, here are some of my picks.

maxresdefault.jpg

One thing about japanese products for me is their build quality. They have always been a notch above everyone else. Everything just feels so premium. Sony products especially has this really premium feel to it.

874a82593299a5e1c6327c8337f3c2fe

I find minimalist Scandinavian products like hegel and amphion to be very attractive as well.

hegel-h190-white-straight.jpg

H95FrontAngle.jpg

argon_1_standardwhite_main.jpg

Amongst speakers, I've always found Italian speakers brand to be absolutely hideous. Brands like sonus faber with its black and wood design is by far the ugliest mainstream speakers I've seen.

I like vintage design as well though even if many vintage products do not age well on a design perspective. Some of my favourites are the BBCs like Rogers new olive ls3/5a and graham ls5/9

rogers.jpg

Graham-LS5-9-side-view.jpg

advertisement

Back