advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

I thought a while ago there was some collaboration between John and some other company, he was working on their premises for several weeks, who were going to give him support. Is that not the case or is he back to working on his own?

I thought a while ago there was some collaboration between John and some other company, he was working on their premises for several weeks, who were going to give him support. Is that not the case or is he back to working on his own?

I was wondering this too. Maybe lockdown rules have affected this collaboration. Apparently the programmer there was rather good.

Last year about this time a working dac with a smaller resistor array was working and performing well against the Hugo I recall. It must be the advanced clock feature that's holding things up.

Well there was an update to the ProJect S2-Ultra Streamer... it’s UI is definitely better and it doesn’t boot up (or go into Sleep mode) with oscillation noise anymore to my Cambridge Audio EDGE-A; this was the programmer he was working with apparently... hopefully they are still collaborating

Let me please remind everyone that actual customers are the only legitimate posters here. I need not be reminded of my own stupidity by people who are only glee-filled bystanders to the long and slow-motion unfolding disaster of this project.

The project is dead as a parrot..and while I kind of get your point,
I doubt a few bystanders at the funeral will make much of a difference..

Let me please remind everyone that actual customers are the only legitimate posters here. I need not be reminded of my own stupidity by people who are only glee-filled bystanders to the long and slow-motion unfolding disaster of this project.
Wasn’t my intention at all to come across as a glee-filled bystander, I’m more the angry bystander type who is gutted for the investors, I was more thinking of inviting JW for a game of baseball on his front lawn ;)

Dear fellow MDACers or FDACers or whatever name this DAC project has.

I'm still addicted to music, but not that much into hifi sound. My age doesn't allow me to hear the same way and my main source of music is Spotify so there you have it.
Maybe one day I'll upgrade my 92's speakers. As for the DAC, I don't think I'll replace it anytime soon.

Year after year I come here just to see how this project goes, to find it doesn't.
Witnessing the lack of effort John puts into this project made me conclude this will never see the light of day. Our lifespan is not compatible with the progress rate.
And it's sad. Not because the £400 I invested, (that was a long time ago, they're forgotten), but because it was an inspiring project and it felt good to be part of an inspiring project with inspiring people.
A shame...

Anyway, greetings from #27 to all of you.
http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page#Who_is_in_for_it.3F

Michael

Dear fellow MDACers or FDACers or whatever name this DAC project has.

I'm still addicted to music, but not that much into hifi sound. My age doesn't allow me to hear the same way and my main source of music is Spotify so there you have it.
Maybe one day I'll upgrade my 92's speakers. As for the DAC, I don't think I'll replace it anytime soon.

Year after year I come here just to see how this project goes, to find it doesn't.
Witnessing the lack of effort John puts into this project made me conclude this will never see the light of day. Our lifespan is not compatible with the progress rate.
And it's sad. Not because the £400 I invested, (that was a long time ago, they're forgotten), but because it was an inspiring project and it felt good to be part of an inspiring project with inspiring people.
A shame...

Anyway, greetings from #27 to all of you.
http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page#Who_is_in_for_it.3F

Michael

I was a latecomer at number 133, but like yourself I’ve written off my investment - £500 or so in my case. I think things took a significant step backwards when John lost the participation of the chap who was going to write the firmware. I don’t think John intended us to be where we are, but it was partly as a result of feature creep (and many of us encouraged him in that) and inexperience of manufacturing. Reading the Facebook posts it seems we’re no nearer production than we were years ago.

I think the only chance of us getting anything is if a 3rd party manufacturer buys the design and we get units at cost. A third party being involved was mentioned by John a few months ago, but that seems to have gone very quiet. It’s disappointing that as sponsors of the project we weren’t given more detail about what was happening, or even if the potential relationship is not going to happen.

I’ll say it again, I don’t think John intended things to pan out like this, rather he was hopelessly out of his depth when it came to the manufacturing process. The people I feel sorry for are the people who’ve invested several £k with absolutely nothing to show for it, and barely a mention about the design from John.

A new update from Facebook. The final paragraph concerns me...

“Completed as much as I can with the FPGA development - and I'm going to "Fork" the design, to rapid redesign the DevDAC come MDAC2.
Today I start the PCB design for this new design fork - Trying to aim for a 30 day design time... lets see how fast I can get to issue the PCBs...
First will be the DAC array PCB's..

While working on the FPGA I "developed" an idea which is really worth considering for the MDAC2, it has the potential of being really very very good - so really keen to have first PCB's - the advantage is that from here it can be rapidly produced...”

What does 'developed' in quotation marks mean..?
Is his second personality making fun of him simultaneously while he's still writing..?
And I would appreciate if he'd at least save us from mental misfires like rapid, quick..very soon
or, my total favourite: already..

I was a latecomer at number 133

You’re lucky to have a number. I have invested £450 I think but remain numberless. When a long time ago I sent him my MDAC for the Fusion update he had it so long, at least 6 months, that for compensation he promised me a discount on the next update. That’s all obviously forgotten now. He really needs to explain how he can possibly finish this project without asking for more money

A new update from Facebook. The final paragraph concerns me...

“Completed as much as I can with the FPGA development - and I'm going to "Fork" the design, to rapid redesign the DevDAC come MDAC2.
Today I start the PCB design for this new design fork - Trying to aim for a 30 day design time... lets see how fast I can get to issue the PCBs...
First will be the DAC array PCB's..

While working on the FPGA I "developed" an idea which is really worth considering for the MDAC2, it has the potential of being really very very good - so really keen to have first PCB's - the advantage is that from here it can be rapidly produced...”

.... And pigs might fly!

advertisement

Back