advertisement

Well produced recent albums

Ancient now; Neville Bros','Yellow moon' was recorded on all valve equipment in Daniel Lanois' house in New Orleans.
Vinicius Cantuaria's music is always well recorded.
I realise that I don't have any music by people mentioned-so far- in this string!
My choices are probably as rare?

There are so many variables. I think the main one is perception. My son would probably think Arcade Fire sounds better than Sade.

Agreed - it's extremely subjective. An obvious example (though not a new release) is Sleater Kinney - The Woods which was intentionally brickwalled to ridiculous degree. When I first heard it (on vinyl) I assumed something had gone horribly wrong!

Now I think it's rather wonderful - in a big distorted mess kinda way.

Rock/pop production has really suffered in the digital era due to the people involved more than the technology. Less is more has become a forgotten art form Wilco ‘Schmilco’ Muzz ‘Muzz’ and Other Lives ‘Rituals’ are a few that break the rule imo.

Other genres fair better Matthew Halsall ‘Fletcher Moss Park’ and GoGo Penguin ‘A Humdrum Star’ spring to mind.

While not a recent recording I always thought I had a duff pressing of "All Round My Hat" by Steeleye Span. Recently I streamed it from Qobuz, the same tracks are duff. Can't believe it was meant to sound like that.

I have that on the original US Chrysalis vinyl, and on CD as part of the "A Parcel of Steeleye Span" box set. Both are "reasonable" - not demo material, but not a deterrent if I want to hear those songs.

The "Parcel" box is kind of annoying in that it is five albums of material crammed onto three physical CDs. I'd have preferred one of those "Five Album Classics" sets if one were available for the Steeleye Span Chrysalis years.

Rough and rowdy ways is very nicely produced..

Not a recent recording, but it's a recent release - Neil Young's "Homegrown" is a very clean recording, both the vinyl and the CD present well. It was recorded in 1974 and shelved, not released in its original form until last year. About half of the songs were recycled in different forms for other NY albums in the later '70s.

I listen mostly to indie, so my well produced my be less well produced than others'. Off the top of my head.

Matthew Mila - Alone at St. Hugo
The Mountain Goats from Goth (2017) to Getting Into Knives (2020)
Oso Oso - Basking in the Glow
Purple Mountains
Jason Isbell
Real Estate
Mekons - Deserter

Willie Nelson’s Across the Border Line. Recorded at different studios in different countries with different production teams, so you get a hifi enthusiast’s tour.

Willie Nelson’s Across the Border Line. Recorded at different studios in different countries with different production teams, so you get a hifi enthusiast’s tour.

Thanks for this suggestion. Been a fan since Red-headed Stranger.

Sought it out. Each track has different feel but the whole album hangs together very nicely.

advertisement

Back