advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Hi folks,
After my recent disappointing experience with a Krell integrated amp., I'm getting tempted to try the Accuphase E-800. My trusty dealer can arrange for me to borrow one for a bit, but they're not entirely convinced by it in comparison to my E-650 and are suggesting the 2150 preamp with thee A48 power amp is a better bang per buck, although there's a pretty hefty difference in price for a poor old pensioner such as myself. I'm really not keen to go back to multiple boxes again, and I know full well that the latter combination will sound better than my E-650. So I'm wondering what to do.

Although I value my dealer's opinion I do trust my own ears, so maybe I should find out for myself & borrow the 800. I wonder if any of you folks have done such comparisons?
I've tried the E800 against the E650 and I think it's a significant step up. It's not so much about power in terms of maximum SPL, as about power used to create a more convincing illusion - better control of speakers when you weren't even aware that more control was necessary. Haven't tried the E800 against the pre-power combo, but I think the A75 is a significant step up from the A48 so I'm not convinced of the wisdom of moving from top of the integrated line to bottom of the pre-power line. If you do get to do the comparison between E800 and C2150/A48 I'd be really interested in your thoughts.

Hi, what's the WXA like? I you know I love my WXC/Nait combo but I'm thinking one to sit in my office/2nd bedroom with my MkI Kans... It would also allow me to MusicCast records to here as well...

I love it. It’s in a small system in the snug running Boston A23’s, mainly used for TV and internet radio / Spotify. Stands upright behind the TV so don’t even see it. Of course, it doesn’t have the same ooomph as a 303 or 402 but perfectly good. I tried it in the kitchen out of interest, which has 4 x tannoy 8 inch in ceiling speakers. It performed very well but the 303 is better in that environment. They crop up on here, paid £200 for mine.

I love it. It’s in a small system in the snug running Boston A23’s, mainly used for TV and internet radio / Spotify. Stands upright behind the TV so don’t even see it. Of course, it doesn’t have the same ooomph as a 303 or 402 but perfectly good. I tried it in the kitchen out of interest, which has 4 x tannoy 8 inch in ceiling speakers. It performed very well but the 303 is better in that environment. They crop up on here, paid £200 for mine.
Thanks, I am looking for small system to keep the old Kans running so it seems the right way to head... I can output the phono input from my Nait to WXC and then 'cast that up to the WXA which will be nice!

If you can try the E800, then why not. As for the separates? They may be better, or not. or not very much. But there will always be better. It's nice to get to a point where you can say " good enough, I can just enjoy the music because the system tells me enough." Problem is, your ears and tastes are spoiled. I know nothing about Accuphase ownership, I always imagine that I would be delighted by some of their kit.

Thanks, I am looking for small system to keep the old Kans running so it seems the right way to head... I can output the phono input from my Nait to WXC and then 'cast that up to the WXA which will be nice!

Never had Kans, how demanding are they on an amp?

Easy load but very inefficient. They need something fairly muscular to get the most out of them.

First let me begin by admitting I'm pretty hopeless when it come to describing sound. I can only really say what sounds good to me (and the missus). When I moved from a Naim 552/500 system I trialled the E800 at home. We did not take to it. We both thought it sounded OTT and 'raw' with too little separation. Swopped to the C2850/A75. An improvement but didn't really care for that sound either. Swopped again to the C2850/A48 and this time we were both very happy with the sound. The C2850 provided the detail/separation and the A48 sounded refined compared to the E800 and the A75. My take, my house, my speakers (Spendor Classic 200) and my music, mostly classical. The A48 is a bargain given the price of most Accuphase. I might at some stage try the A75 again but at present we are very happy with our set up.

I might also try the Accuphase Dacs. Have to save up first.

Hi folks,
After my recent disappointing experience with a Krell integrated amp., I'm getting tempted to try the Accuphase E-800. My trusty dealer can arrange for me to borrow one for a bit, but they're not entirely convinced by it in comparison to my E-650 and are suggesting the 2150 preamp with the A48 power amp is a better bang per buck, although there's a pretty hefty difference in price for a poor old pensioner such as myself. I'm really not keen to go back to multiple boxes again, and I know full well that the latter combination will sound better than my E-650. So I'm wondering what to do.

Although I value my dealer's opinion I do trust my own ears, so maybe I should find out for myself & borrow the 800. I wonder if any of you folks have done such comparisons?

I've never heard the E800, but I'm inclined to agree with your dealer.
Going from the E470 to the C2420 and P4200 certainly made a difference.
However, best to satisfy your curiosity and listen for yourself or you'll always be wondering.
Mac

Speaking of Pre/Power, this looks worth a demo once the shackles are off and I can get down South.

920yam.promo_.jpg

Thanks for all your kind advice folks.

I think I should try the E-800 first as "Sue" suggests, which is the most logical option for me. My E-650 does sound rather splendid this morning...

Thanks for all your kind advice folks.

I think I should try the E-800 first as "Sue" suggests, which is the most logical option for me. My E-650 does sound rather splendid this morning...

Keep us posted Tony... when do you think you'll be able to arrange this for?
Mac

Ofcourse not. But you went from 552/500 to Accuphase, so to your ears this must be even better. Then it would be audionirvana to my ears I suppose...
No. The aim was to reduce box count. My audio memory's pitifully short these days & I love the Accuphase, but I'm pretty certain in a direct comparison the 552DR/500DR combination would outshine it.

advertisement

Back