advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

I need the protection 'cause sometimes I'm forced to park next to a grove of bamboo, which exudes some sort of plant-jizz that leaves spots on my hood.

Plant jizz - LOL. I used to park an old car under pine trees. It looked like a flock of seagulls had cr*pped on it. The only way I could get the pine resin off was very carefully with an old chisel. Fortunately I didn't care about the car aesthetics.

anyone any experience of the ceramic coatings or even graphene for that matter, supposedly with 5 year guarantees?

I'm considering a ceramic coating for my Model 3, but I've read pros and cons, so I'm in two minds

I think the noise is an even bigger problem. We trialed an dry-ice gun for cleaning polymer off screw and die parts. It was dead good, but neither we, nor any other factories within 100m would tolerate the noise!
That's interesting. I've done sandblasting at home, it's noisy but not incredibly so. The bigger problem is the dust, which is invasive and harmful. Most industrial shotblasters use a shipping container for large items or a cabinet for small, which contains the dust and I would hope reduces the noise. I suppose that with CO2 you have to do it in the open so the noise is always going to be worse.

I'm considering a ceramic coating for my Model 3, but I've read pros and cons, so I'm in two minds

I'm personally not won over by it; nor the expense...

But it has it's fans and non-fans... Very much a personal decision

But to have it applied properly; the car needs to be thoroughly cleaned, all previous waxes removed, ideally clayed and then polished too etc...

It's a long, in-depth process

My 2009 Audi has peeling lacquer on one wing, the fix seems to be to blow off loose laquer with an airline (can do), then cut (can do) then a coating (I don't have this, but I have good old wax polish). Has anyone done this, is it worthwhile? The pros on You Tube seem to make the cars look presentable, which is good enough for me. I don't want to pay for a wing respray.

My 2009 Audi has peeling lacquer on one wing, the fix seems to be to blow off loose laquer with an airline (can do), then cut (can do) then a coating (I don't have this, but I have good old wax polish). Has anyone done this, is it worthwhile? The pros on You Tube seem to make the cars look presentable, which is good enough for me. I don't want to pay for a wing respray.

Nope; it's re-lacquer or live with it

It'll only start to 'bloom' where the edges are anyway...

Unless really visible, leave it be IMO

My wife says I need to practice on her car first...lol

You need a snow foam thingy - that will shock your missus! Wait until you’ve applied the foam, and then get her to take a look. My wife thought it ridiculous, but then didn’t believe me and went and read up on it.

I was recommended several thanks to nice folk on here. I ended up with the Autobrite one that attaches to my Karcher jet wash.

First wash, I'm a complete novice at car washing. I bought two buckets, grit guards, a couple of drying cloths and this car wash stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002OHQI5S/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

2021-04-01_09-48-44 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

It's good stuff Dodo Juice; I'm a big fan.

I've got a fair bit of Autoglym stuff to use up first (and having a new garage built); so once that's done and I've got some new shelves; they'll be being stocked with some new cleaning stuff and I'll be going back to the Dodo Juice range ;)

The Tesla has come up well :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's good stuff Dodo Juice; I'm a big fan.

I've got a fair bit of Autoglym stuff to use up first (and having a new garage built); so once that's done and I've got some new shelves; they'll be being stocked with some new cleaning stuff and I'll be going back to the Dodo Juice range ;)

The Tesla has come up well :)
First wash, I'm a complete novice at car washing. I bought two buckets, grit guards, a couple of drying cloths and this car wash stuff https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002OHQI5S/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Try Dodo carnauba waxes too. Really easy to work off and the beading is great. Lasts a decent amount of time too. Had a go of Autobrites waxes but it it’s really hard work and left patches where it would buff off. One to avoid but their foam lances are good if you decide to go for that method too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

That’s good, but I’d definitely suggest it’s worth going the extra step and applying a wax (NB: wax ≠ polish). You’ve got it nice and clean, and a wax will protect it and make it easier to clean next time.

If you’re washing it reasonably regularly, even something dead easy to use like Autoglym Aqua Wax can be better than nothing - no elbow grease required, just spray on when rinsed and wet, and dry off with a towel as usual.

I have taken a more drastic approach and saves me from having to give it a wash.

The Jag is in the hands of Surrey Jaguar Centre. Wheels went off to Lepsons for refurbishment and will have new Pirelli’s fitted. The underside has been brushed clear of surface rust (no rot discovered) and under sealed. The sills and rear arches have been cut out and replaced. The car is now in the paint shop for a complete respray.

Oh, and yesterday, grrr, I grounded the front of the B6 on an incline. My misjudgement. Despite reversing very gingerly I have torn some of the fixings for the front bumper and lip spoiler. In fact I may have to replace both, we shall see (that’ll be a pain knowing how long it takes for parts to come out of Buchloe). So, this is accelerating my plans for respirating the Alpina. I have picked up so many stone chips to the front and bonnet, throw in parking dings from others who are not inconsiderate.

Question: knowing how easy it is to pick up stone chips, and now that I intend to get the Alpina into a body shop, is there any type of additional finishing which will help prevent stone chips?

Style 66s refurbished in Ferric Grey fitted ;)

17x8 straight set, sat on 15mm hubcentric spacers, fitted with 235/45/17 XL rated Michelin PS4 tyres

I've also cleaned all 4 wheel arches, scrubbed them clean to get rid of any hiding / compacted dirt on the arches (all fully intact with no rust/corrosion at all ;) ) and the arch liners have been treated too :)

Sad, I know, but it's nice to have it all fully spotless

Well done; look forward to your findings on the tyres per our chat elsewhere.

Anyway - I did tap along the centreline of the lockdown-mud-carapace today, clunk: and after throwing bucket or two of water over it, extracted my e39 clean again; almost - the wheels (M parallels) need a proper go to shift the other 50% of the brake dust etc; - but at a glance it looks shiny ;)

advertisement

Back