advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

I think there’s a pretty decent V8 engine out there (Volvo, ffs!) that’s a Yamaha design, too.
They also helped VW with their 5 valve head engines IIRC.

Like other posters, I like Yamaha products and they have the advantage of economic heft and research which I doubt Accuphase can access. I think that the various Yamaha industries (Musical Instruments, Electronics, Automotive & Marine) run independently but someone may come along and correct me.

They also helped VW with their 5 valve head engines IIRC.

Like other posters, I like Yamaha products and they have the advantage of economic heft and research which I doubt Accuphase can access. I think that the various Yamaha industries (Musical Instruments, Electronics, Automotive & Marine) run independently but someone may come along and correct me.
Let's not forget all the classic Yamaha 2 stoke engines with harmonic tuned exhaust systems.

The common thread here is a deep understanding of vibration in Yamaha, be it making sounds, understanding harmonics in engines or reproducing sounds. It's part of the DNA of the business.

As @Ponty says pretty much all their products are technically well considered and to support that they have a real breadth of understanding. This can sometimes mean that they look too cheap to be any good, when the opposite is true. They have brought knowledge and scale to develop their products.

Let's not forget all the classic Yamaha 2 stoke engines with harmonic tuned exhaust systems.

The common thread here is a deep understanding of vibration in Yamaha, be it making sounds, understanding harmonics in engines or reproducing sounds. It's part of the DNA of the business.

As @Ponty says pretty much all their products are technically well considered and to support that they have a real breadth of understanding. This can sometimes mean that they look too cheap to be any good, when the opposite is true. They have brought knowledge and scale to develop their products.
Regarding looking cheap, their 803 in an uber fancy case would compete with much more expensive amps and no-one would blink imho. Even the 303 I had a while back was way over achieving for the cost.

True... never heard the E800 so can't comment if it would be worth the upgrade.
As for the Krell, we've all been guilty of being suckered in by reviews, just great that you home demoed first.
Mac
That reviewer on AVForums only and I quote "I only review kit that I know is going to be good"

Check his list out, nearly everything gets a 9 with an occasional 8 or a 10.

Does this expectation taint his reviews? Only you can decide ;)

Regarding looking cheap, their 803 in an uber fancy case would compete with much more expensive amps and no-one would blink imho. Even the 303 I had a while back was way over achieving for the cost.
My XWC-50 streamer is a brilliant thing. Anyone who wants to add streaming to an existing system not listening to it is missing the bargain of the moment.

My XWC-50 streamer is a brilliant thing. Anyone who wants to add streaming to an existing system not listening to it is missing the bargain of the moment.
That the Yammy one? I couldn’t get on with the Musicast App/System, main reason I sold the 303.

The Musicast is now updated and perfectly useable. They did manage to mend a broken Qobuz recently so happy. I use my Material Skin controller if I want something more.

I've lived with an A-S2100 for quite a while. For the money, the build is exemplary and without fault, and doubtless amongst the best of amp manufacturers. The phono side is also very good, MM particularly, though the MC is no slouch, that said the phono character overall seems to depart from the line-in character of the amp (perhaps due to mild FR shaping, as seen in measurements).

The line-in in character is somewhat spot-lit with an emhasis on mids to my ear, but it still manages a refined quality to highs. I think speaker matching is of utmost importance - there's assuredly a distinct presentation with these series of amps.

I'm casting my eye towards perhaps a Lux, or better yet an Accuphase. I love the common aesthetic of these builds but would rather something erring toward warm or neutral.

That the Yammy one? I couldn’t get on with the Musicast App/System, main reason I sold the 303.

The newer firmware is much better, I have no complaints but then I have quite simple requirements. In the house I now have an 803, 402, 303 (yours!) and a WXA-50. Couldn’t be happier, you could say I’m a fan!

Hi folks,
After my recent disappointing experience with a Krell integrated amp., I'm getting tempted to try the Accuphase E-800. My trusty dealer can arrange for me to borrow one for a bit, but they're not entirely convinced by it in comparison to my E-650 and are suggesting the 2150 preamp with the A48 power amp is a better bang per buck, although there's a pretty hefty difference in price for a poor old pensioner such as myself. I'm really not keen to go back to multiple boxes again, and I know full well that the latter combination will sound better than my E-650. So I'm wondering what to do.

Although I value my dealer's opinion I do trust my own ears, so maybe I should find out for myself & borrow the 800. I wonder if any of you folks have done such comparisons?

Last edited:
Hi folks,
After my recent disappointing experience with a Krell integrated amp., I'm getting tempted to try the Accuphase E-800. My trusty dealer can arrange for me to borrow one for a bit, but they're not entirely convinced by it in comparison to my E-650 and are suggesting the 2150 preamp with thee A48 power amp is a better bang per buck, although there's a pretty hefty difference in price for a poor old pensioner such as myself. I'm really not keen to go back to multiple boxes again, and I know full well that the latter combination will sound better than my E-650. So I'm wondering what to do.

Although I value my dealer's opinion I do trust my own ears, so maybe I should find out for myself & borrow the 800. I wonder if any of you folks have done such comparisons?
Here’s an interesting alternative with cash to spare

https://www.hifinext.com/copland-cs...l-triode-and-145w-output-mos-fet-per-channel/

The newer firmware is much better, I have no complaints but then I have quite simple requirements. In the house I now have an 803, 402, 303 (yours!) and a WXA-50. Couldn’t be happier, you could say I’m a fan!
Hi, what's the WXA like? I you know I love my WXC/Nait combo but I'm thinking one to sit in my office/2nd bedroom with my MkI Kans... It would also allow me to MusicCast records to here as well...

Hi folks,
After my recent disappointing experience with a Krell integrated amp., I'm getting tempted to try the Accuphase E-800. My trusty dealer can arrange for me to borrow one for a bit, but they're not entirely convinced by it in comparison to my E-650 and are suggesting the 2150 preamp with thee A48 power amp is a better bang per buck, although there's a pretty hefty difference in price for a poor old pensioner such as myself. I'm really not keen to go back to multiple boxes again, and I know full well that the latter combination will sound better than my E-650. So I'm wondering what to do.

In the context of the big box reduction you have done trying the pre/power seems pretty obvious. You have still ditched at least two power amps & attendant power supplies & cross overs?

advertisement

Back