advertisement

Michael Fremer's Music Room Tour

It’s not the source of his wealth just the idea that you can get a system like that through reviewing hifi. Having said that it is easy to forget just how huge the US market has been over the years; he’s being doing this a while so probably made a good living.

I think a lot of the hacks over here have day jobs, perhaps it is a self selecting pool as you do need disposable income to have a decent set up?

Very funny guy. With vinyl Elvis is in the building, with digital err .... he s not in the building !. Can the Yankees gob though !

I don’t get why the source of Framer's wealth is relevant to anyone?

I met him and Ken Kessler on a shuttle bus at the Munich Hi-Fi show in 2019. They were comedic and rather lovely grumpy old men, in the nicest possible way.
I've enjoyed Kesslers work since I was in my late teens. He introduced me to valves and to Sam & Dave. His tastes have served me far better than most UK scribes and his love of the American high end rubbed off on me straight way.

I met him and Ken Kessler on a shuttle bus at the Munich Hi-Fi show in 2019. They were comedic and rather lovely grumpy old men, in the nicest possible way.

Ken normally has a stand at Audiojumble and seems friendly enough and happy to have a haggle over his audio nick-nacks - in a grumpy old man kinda way.

I very much liked KK's editorials and reviews even though you knew exactly where his allegiances lied even before starting.

I've heard it. It's excellent. Pretty much an "all worlds" approach,. Or at least a mix of American, euro, and brit priorities.

Truth is, and this applies to all of us as well, it none of anyone business to know how or where he made his money!
Whether if be hi-fi, or potatoes, he has made a few quid and spends some of it on hi-fi. Like most of us. We don't divulge more info and neither should MF.
I’m perplexed that some think his income is only from reviewing. There are many sidelined to his core business I am sure, not least appearance fees.

Absolutely. A look through a music collection tells me infinitely more about someone than a look at their hi-fi system. It can actually be used to judge whether the system is any good or not IMO. The great systems lead the owner on a lifelong journey of real musical discovery, the bad ones keep the listener on the rails in a self-imposed ‘comfort zone’. All the better known Stereophile reviewers and columnists have superb record collections that cover many genres with depth and insight. That certainly implies their hi-fi works!
All hifi tells you is how much money one is content to splurge for whatever reason. A record collection opens a window to the soul - if you saw my collection you'd pull the curtains.

I like Michael Fremer and watch all his YT bids for the entertainment and insight into his collection; I don't have the brainpower or cash to be pulled into any subtle product placement exercise so if that's happening then it's wasted on me.

Truth is, and this applies to all of us as well, it none of anyone business to know how or where he made his money!
Whether if be hi-fi, or potatoes, he has made a few quid and spends some of it on hi-fi. Like most of us. We don't divulge more info and neither should MF.
There is an unhealthy obsession with how people make their money, and some on here seem to think that there is a direct connection between having money and dirty capitalism and wealth gained by nefarious means.

I imagine the Quincy Jones vs Michael Jackson case paid him rather well, must be 5 figures for a few days away and several hours in court. He's a funny guy I really like him.

Laboured? He is SO boring and uninteresting to listen to. Fremer has passion and wit! I know what i'd rather watch/listen to.

The British Audiophile seems to get a lot of love on this forum, but I've got to agree with the quote above; his YouTube videos could be used to cure insomnia.

You might not agree with what people like Fremer and Guttenberg have to say, but at least they're interesting to listen to.

Great video. It's funny how in our modern streaming/youtube/soundbite world a 30 min video is seen as being long! Who was the person he mentioned in relation to weird hifi tweaks near the start - Ted Danney?

The rack of LPs immediately behind his listening seat doesn't cause any problems with imaging?

"Rack"?? As in singular?

Depending on how counted, there's dozens or hundreds of racks behind his listening seat. The room extends well behind his seat much further than it does in front of it, and his Wilsons, although out from the wall a bit, aren't that far out. He sits in a kind of mid-field environment, although (from memory there's likely at least 8 ft. from the seat to each speaker (that's from memory, but it could be up to 10 ft.).

No, it doesn't create a problem for the imaging. It's images like a sonofabitch, but that's not the focus of the system. It's not like some giant Martin Logan system where sh*t has to float around in all directions but there's no musicality. It's got a great sense of stage, both in width and depth (when the recording provides it), it's very even-handed, dynamic as all hell, fast, taught, transportive, smooth and enjoyable. It's definitely one of the better systems I've ever heard and in it's own, really expensive way, understated (if that makes sense). IT doesn't try to call out to itself.

It's not like some giant Martin Logan system where sh*t has to float around in all directions but there's no musicality.

MLs are dipoles, sound doesn't float around in all directions, only forwards and backwards. Perhaps you are confusing omnis with dipoles.
912Montisfig4.jpg

MartinLogan Montis, lateral response family at 50", normalized to response on mid-panel axis, from back to front: differences in response 90–5° off axis, reference response, differences in response 5–90° off axis.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/martinlogan-montis-loudspeaker-measurements

Unlike most box speakers directivity is narrow and more or less constant (see nex post) so the direct sound is not affected by side-wall intereference and the reflections coming from the front wall have enough delay and level difference to increase perceive "envelopment" and "spaciousness".

As a side note, MF's room has some very serious mid- and upper-bass issues (considering the price of his system):
113Walexfig6.jpg

Wilson Alexandria XLF, spatially averaged, 1/6-octave response in MF's listening room (red); and of Wilson MAXX 3 (blue).
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexandria-xlf-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:

advertisement

Back