advertisement

Michael Fremer's Music Room Tour

To be fair, product placement is entirely legal in the US. Over here we have to flag it, up until relatively recently it wasn’t allowed.

In the context of a YouTube channel such restrictions probably don’t exist.

On YouTube you are expected to flag videos with ‘Includes paid promotion’ which certainly includes being given review samples (which is very common).

On YouTube you are expected to flag videos with ‘Includes paid promotion’ which certainly includes being given review samples (which is very common).
I rarely watch YouTube, I must confess.

Product placement is now a big part of film making, most of the blockbuster films will have a strong element of this, particularly with regards to cars. Lots of Ford cars with prominent badges etc, once spotted it starts to grate.

Ultimately the guy in question could be a multi millionaire for all I know?

I do think the price of things is important. I am sure if I listened to some Wilson speakers I could be ‘blown away’ but the cost of them must be factored in? I am not sure how a reviewer could do this, they probably get to listen to such a lot of gear that they become blasé?

Similar things happen to food critics I’m sure?

I rarely watch YouTube, I must confess.

I watch way, way more than conventional TV these days as there is just so much high quality content for the stuff I’m interested in (classic audio restoration, retro computing, guitar/music technology etc). Hours of it goes up every day! There is tons of fascinating well-made content there and many channels support and help promote other channels so it ends up as a highly linked community of information sharing. It is unquestionably the frontline of the internet at present.

To be fair, product placement is entirely legal in the US. Over here we have to flag it, up until relatively recently it wasn’t allowed.

In the context of a YouTube channel such restrictions probably don’t exist.

Product criticism on the other hand can end up badly for the critic. I think that they've got their priorities mixed up on that side of the pond...

I watch way, way more than conventional TV these days as there is just so much high quality content for the stuff I’m interested in (classic audio restoration, retro computing, guitar/music technology etc). Hours of it goes up every day! There is tons of fascinating well-made content there and many channels support and help promote other channels so it ends up as a highly linked community of information sharing. It is unquestionably the frontline of the internet at present.
I used to watch a lot more of it but don’t bother so much now.

I’d expect he’d get trade price or be able to buy the review sample at a reduced rate, but yes, it’s struck me as a remarkably expensive system. Far more so than the likes of Art Dudley, Sam Tellig, Herb Reichart etc who ran/run really nice classic kit in the main.

I warm to him the more I see and read.

I think a lot of reviewer equipment is on long term loan - often many years.
Gives the manufacturer the opportunity to say 'as used by <insert industry espert>'
I see no issue with it.

if you buy new ...

I buy new and second hand. Due to both the covid 19 situation preventing me doing my usual weekly record hunting and a real explosion of stunningly good new young jazz from That London, plus some amazing audiophile reissues (Tone Poet, Jazz Dispensary etc) I reckon I’ve bought 18-20” or so of new vinyl in the past 12 months, much of it in the £30 range. I hate to think what that is as an actual spend, but clearly way, way over £1k and obviously generating hugely over the 0.05p or whatever an artist gets per play from rip-off streaming services. Much of the new band stuff is limited edition stuff from Bandcamp etc too, so a really good amount goes straight to the band and I get something great, highly collectable that will almost certainly increase in value in return. Win win. Some of the stuff I’ve bought is already worth way more than I paid.

PS The thing Michael Fremer certainly gets given (he fully admits it) is a free copy of pretty much every decent audiophile vinyl pressing that has been produced in the past 40 years or so he’s had such a successful column. Many of these are now seriously high-value records and collection is worth a fortune. So many £500+ records lurking in there before we even get to the countless nice original issues he’s hunted down himself over the years (he’s a proper collector). It is not often I have record collection envy, but his is one of the best out there. The way he handles sleeves makes me cringe though!

Micheal Fremer is alright- he loves vinyl records.

#teamfremer

He certainly does - A mate sent me this a couple of weeks ago.Loads of Jazz something I don't know to much about only the famous albums really.
Found it really educational.
Fremers great love his Honesty @ passion for music and especially vinyl a industry legend.

I’d expect he’d get trade price or be able to buy the review sample at a reduced rate, but yes, it’s struck me as a remarkably expensive system. Far more so than the likes of Art Dudley, Sam Tellig, Herb Reichart etc who ran/run really nice classic kit in the main.
He does a lot of show ups at conferences etc. I presume he is paid for this. It accumulates.

How does he afford such expensive equipment? Family money? Is there that much cash in writing about hifi?

He states he's make a pile selling 16,000 copies of his DVD at $15 a piece - so maybe $200k after costs?

I find some of his hyperbole a little tiring but he's entertaining, self aware and seems genuinely to be into the music. Good luck to him I say.

Absolutely. A look through a music collection tells me infinitely more about someone than a look at their hi-fi system. It can actually be used to judge whether the system is any good or not IMO. The great systems lead the owner on a lifelong journey of real musical discovery, the bad ones keep the listener on the rails in a self-imposed ‘comfort zone’. All the better known Stereophile reviewers and columnists have superb record collections that cover many genres with depth and insight. That certainly implies their hi-fi works!

advertisement

Back