advertisement

Why do I need the opportunity to shop for 15 hours per day in non essential shops?

colasblue

pfm Member
Post lockdown non essential shops seem to be allowed to extend their normal hours to 07:00 to 22:00.

Up to now the only thing I've been troubled by is the inability to get a new battery for my Seiko diver from Timpsons under their battery for life deal. (Free new battery with pressure test to 100m).

Why do they think shops need to be open for that long?

Surely they can't sell any more, and the chances are that they'll sell a great deal less due to most of us having found alternative supplies.

The other thing I need is new trousers which I can try on (got a bit fatter in lockdown).

JLP looks to be ending-up being decimated.

Fook - C19!!!!!!!

It is going to be the same as the beginning of the industrial revolution and all that flowed.

Spend, spend, spend. Get out on the high streets etc. Allow shoppers to do so when things aren't too crowded. Populate the businesses that surround the shops. Get retail workers off furlough. I imagine this is what the government have in mind.

Along with all the Arcadia shops!

I can't see why a lot of businesses carried on with furlough when the 20% contribution was required. They just put themselves at a massive competitive disadvantage due to debt repayments in the almighty speculator clean up when we emerge into the new regime.

Call me a hard arsed financier if you like but others might call me a realist!

Indeed , and what worries me most is that I'm too bloody old to get back if it all goes totally "pear shaped".

You thought you had a secure future - think again - what happens next is anybody's guess.

Money useless, stick another Rembrandt on the fire !

Hopefully our instincts towards civilisation will save us. They seem to have worked in other dire situations.

World will be different though - no doubt.

Post lockdown non essential shops seem to be allowed to extend their normal hours to 07:00 to 22:00.

Up to now the only thing I've been troubled by is the inability to get a new battery for my Seiko diver from Timpsons under their battery for life deal. (Free new battery with pressure test to 100m).

Why do they think shops need to be open for that long?

Surely they can't sell any more, and the chances are that they'll sell a great deal less due to most of us having found alternative supplies.

The other thing I need is new trousers which I can try on (got a bit fatter in lockdown).

Our local Timpsons is open - it is an outbuilding in the Sainsburys car park. They made a new tag for one of our dogs yesterday.

Extending open hours has some logic to it - if you know the hours are extended then you have more opportunity to go at an less usual time, the public health benefit of fewer bodies in the building at any one time. Extended hours gives more chance for all the bodies who want to go tho be able to. I went to a very large garden centre on Sunday - the queue to get in was quite something. All very well organised I have to say.

Yes our "satellite" Timpsons are open. One each at Sainsbury's, Asda and Morrisons, but they aren't providing all services. There are two big ones in town, only one of which does waterproof watches and it's the only place in town you can go. Other option is mail order but the watch is still going in two second ticks and has been since mid lockdown so I'm spinning it out hoping the turn up and get it done option re-emerges.

There is just one thing that I'd bet on - that everyday life will be a long way from what we think it will be today.

Makes no sense at all to any retailers. Pre C19, did anyone really go shopping at 9pm? No 'non essential' shops are going to spend more on overtime wages. It's pure spin.

If I’m at work from 7am -10pm my wife will divorce me.

This also puts huge strain on retailers to stay open... who’s going to remain closed whilst their next door neighbour is open? So more wages to pay.... just what they need whilst everyone’s at home on Netflix!....

Does a 15 hour day now become the ‘norm’? ....So is overtime paid within these 15 hours now abolished??

I’ll welcome the opportunity to go to a shop when I can, Monday to Friday. Shops closing by 5pm is of no use at all to most people, and at weekends everywhere is packed.

Don’t charge for parking, allow shop owners to make their own decisions.
At least give it a go!

I’ll welcome the opportunity to go to a shop when I can, Monday to Friday. Shops closing by 5pm is of no use at all to most people, and at weekends everywhere is packed.
Yup, I am able to go shopping during ‘normal working hours’ and it’s a job to avoid the tumbleweed frankly.

70% of all retail shopping is done face to face. Down from 80% pre Covid. It is a social activity, extended hours will help with potential over crowding & retailers will decide on their own hours. Many local shops already open for such long periods.

Really don’t understand how a negative slant can be put on this.

advertisement

Back